Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin dominance dropping hard - page 4. (Read 573 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 102
January 01, 2018, 07:51:55 PM
Few things will push this lower:

1. Too high fees.
2. Too much time for confirmation.
3. Too less supply for demand - it is a mental block, but it matters.

First two are the killers.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
January 01, 2018, 07:49:34 PM
The drop is due to the problem of the high fee of bitcoin in December, and many people panic to either cash out or move to altcoins.
It is really urgent that bitcoin come up with a feasible, usable scaling approach in the next 3-6 months. Otherwise I can see things turn out ugly.
Activity: 273
Merit: 18
January 01, 2018, 07:43:58 PM
Has the increase in tokens affected btcs dominance?

It would probably be fairer to compare btc dominance just with virtual currencies as the tokens are really meant to be a replacement for shares and would suggest that most are pretty fraudulently manipulating their price/market cap as well.

Activity: 784
Merit: 502
January 01, 2018, 07:34:24 PM
Dominance isn't always proportional to market cap directly. It is by no means concrete, as bitcoin's interest has dipped in times of stress before. The question now, however, is what make of such downtrend.

The thing is, at the beginning of every year, the dominance percentage downtrends. Its nothing to worry about.

What surprised me was the number of nodes @BTC versus ETH (for example). Ethereum has 4 times more nodes than Bitcoin.
Near term BTC will struggle given the high transaction fee.

Number of nodes doesn't qualify the reason behind this downtrend. Bitcoin will obviously have lesser nodes than other cryptos since it has the largest blockchain of all time and selective few wants to run full node.

I don't believe that if BTC will plunge massive, then the entire crypto market will go extinct. There is too much money and people who needs cryptos.

Bitcoin is the backbone of all cryptocurrencies. It won't fall ever.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1804
guess who's back
January 01, 2018, 07:28:15 PM
I wonder why this topic is not discussed more. The bitcoin dominance compared to other coins.

For years bitcoin marketcap was around 90%. Then it dropped to 40% in jun 2017 and peaked in dec 2017 at 60%.
But then it dropped to 38% today!

So this means that the value is moved into other coins. It's a big run. The total market cap stays quite the same.

But when bitcoin will crash hard, don't people understand that when the flagship goes down, the other boats become worthless? I believe this is way more important than the current loss in price at the moment.  Lips sealed

bitcoin dominance is now all time low , but it was really close to that on last June then we saw that bitcoin price went up 5-6X after
it's not something to worry about , actually this time it makes sense due the really high fees that allowed other coins to rise since some started to look for an alternative

what I wasn't expecting that ripple will pass ETH with such huge cap , but we all know that all these money will end up being transferred to bitcoin again  Wink
Activity: 392
Merit: 105
January 01, 2018, 07:21:51 PM
This is just a clear signal that people are realizing the limitations of bitcoin as a currency in real use, and at the moment it is only being used marginally as a store of value. Therefore, people start to explore new alternatives with greater growth potential than bitcoin or at least capable of serving the original purposes of bitcoin as a currrency or means of payment, and that is why we are seeing the revaluation of "old" coins such as Ripple and Litecoin.
Activity: 110
Merit: 131
January 01, 2018, 07:16:24 PM
Basic economics. Bitcoin is known for shooting up and down and once it hits new heights thats when people tend to invest that new found wealth into icos.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
Algorithmic Trader
January 01, 2018, 07:08:08 PM
What surprised me was the number of nodes @BTC versus ETH (for example). Ethereum has 4 times more nodes than Bitcoin.
Near term BTC will struggle given the high transaction fee.

I don't believe that if BTC will plunge massive, then the entire crypto market will go extinct. There is too much money and people who needs cryptos.
Activity: 706
Merit: 111
January 01, 2018, 07:04:12 PM
The more new coins that comes on the market, the more the money that will spread into those new coins
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
January 01, 2018, 07:03:22 PM
This is hardly discussed in here, if you do not find those threads, then it is your fault.

I wonder why this topic is not discussed more. The bitcoin dominance compared to other coins.For years bitcoin marketcap was around 90% it dropped to 40% in jun 2017 and 60%.But then it dropped to 38% today!

You are not seeing the reality in there, the dominace is dropping, but the whole marketcap is always going up.

When the dominance was over 90% a few years ago, tell me, how much was the marketcap? I bet everything that it was not even five billion dollars.

And now it is 38% but the total marketcap is 600 billion dollars, more than a half of a trillion.

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
January 01, 2018, 07:01:21 PM
I wonder why this topic is not discussed more. The bitcoin dominance compared to other coins.

For years bitcoin marketcap was around 90%. Then it dropped to 40% in jun 2017 and peaked in dec 2017 at 60%.
But then it dropped to 38% today!

So this means that the value is moved into other coins. It's a big run. The total market cap stays quite the same.

But when bitcoin will crash hard, don't people understand that when the flagship goes down, the other boats become worthless? I believe this is way more important than the current loss in price at the moment.  Lips sealed
Pages:
Jump to: