Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Forums should eliminate 'Scammer' ratings and 'Trust' ratings - page 2. (Read 3785 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Unfortunately not all deals can or do involve collateral which is why these ratings are invaluable. There are countless inaccurate ratings made daily, but as a whole the system seems to work decently at protecting newbies from scammers.

most of peoples talking about eliminate or system is not good but no person giving good feedbacks for this system how this could be good and secure its more important then elimination or something like this
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
Unfortunately not all deals can or do involve collateral which is why these ratings are invaluable. There are countless inaccurate ratings made daily, but as a whole the system seems to work decently at protecting newbies from scammers.
Activity: 448
One of the reasons people use bitcoin or any crypto currency is to eliminate the need to trust the other party.

The use of scammer ratings and trust ratings increases the ability of people to rely on trust in their transactions.

BitcoinTalk forums should remove all references to scamming, scammers, scams, trust and the like, in order to decrease the community's ability to rely on trust, and encourage business models that are transparent and do not rely on trust.

Thoughts?

I think that users should be able to post 'scam'/'trust' etc... because (1) preventing them from doing so == censorship =/= good, and (2) trust is an important part of any financial deal.

That said, I think trust ratings don't work remotely well. If possible, we could have some forum where people can open up ONE THREAD PER USER either posting positive feedback or negative feedback, or just have the existing trust system but without the 'default trust' users.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
You don't have to trust that a bitcoin isn't counterfeit, or will evaporate like fairy gold, or a central bank will devalue it overnight, or that the other party will reverse the transaction after completion... but you DO have to trust that they will give you the coin or the goods in the first place!
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
One of the reasons people use bitcoin or any crypto currency is to eliminate the need to trust the other party.

The use of scammer ratings and trust ratings increases the ability of people to rely on trust in their transactions.

BitcoinTalk forums should remove all references to scamming, scammers, scams, trust and the like, in order to decrease the community's ability to rely on trust, and encourage business models that are transparent and do not rely on trust.

Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure the whole world economy and pretty much every business that ever existed is built on trust, I mean even being friends with someone means to trust in them, so if you have a better idea, feel free to say so, but removing the scammer tag will only cause other issues, and also how can anybody trade if they cannot trust one another?
Activity: 375
lets assume a few things...

(1) a transaction occurs
(2) both parties benefit if the transaction occurs.
(3) if either party (attempts or successfully) scams the other, each party will be less well off than if neither party scammed.
(4) there is no additional cost as compared to an identical transaction that does not include item (3).

would this transaction be preferable to an identical transaction that does not include item (3)?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Satoshi never said Bitcoin eliminates the need to trust the OTHER party.  I mean think about it, you always need to trust the other party.  You send me coins, I don't send you good.  Oops you lose.  Or you send goods, I don't send coins.  Oops you lose again.

If you are going to quote the "man" at least quote him correctly.

1. Introduction
Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as
trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for
most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent weaknesses of the trust based model.
Completely non-reversible transactions are not really possible, since financial institutions cannot
avoid mediating disputes. The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions,
and there is a broader cost in the loss of ability to make non-reversible payments for non-reversible
services. With the possibility of reversal, the need for trust spreads. Merchants must be wary of
their customers, hassling them for more information than they would otherwise need.  A certain
percentage of fraud is accepted as unavoidable. These costs and payment uncertainties can be
avoided in person by using physical currency, but no mechanism exists to make payments over
a communications channel without a trusted party.

What is needed is an electronic payment system based on cryptographic proof instead of trust,
allowing any two willing parties to transact directly with each other without the need for a trusted
third party

Without a trusted third party.  i.e.

You <----> Me

vs

You <----> PayPal <----> Me

Bitcoin eliminates the need for the trusted third part (as in not the buyer or seller) it doesn't and never will eliminate the need for trust in commerce.

Activity: 980
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
So far trust ratings were really helpful for me personally.

It's a fastest way to tag/report someone too.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
The scammer tag should go. Old scammers will still bear the tag but new ones won't get them. That may fool some newbs that someone isn't a scammer because they don't have a scammer tag.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
This forum is not satoshipaper.org
Activity: 14
I don't agree. It's a good way to warn people for potentional scammers. Trust is always needed, and escrow should be something everyone uses, but the ratings add extra security.

good morning, I encourage you to review Satoshis' paper and explain to us how he defines trust...Ira
Activity: 41
I don't agree. It's a good way to warn people for potentional scammers. Trust is always needed, and escrow should be something everyone uses, but the ratings add extra security.
Activity: 698
5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders
Although they make it somewhat tough to enter the marketplace, I think you'll find most people agree that the trust rating are 100% required in the current climate.

Unfortunately as this industry matures there is still a huge issue with scammers and illegitimate startups, and while the community can be overzealous in calling out scammers, it is necessary given how final BTC transaction are.

Now hurry up and use CoinsForTech.com so I can improve my trust rating!!
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
wolverine.ks i want you to lend me 1 btc for 1 hour without checking my trust rating or anything else.

1AMQnRXYDyNi75QXa6F3YGqKhcGjWs49tM

Let's see.
Absolutely!
Great answer!
You need collateral because you don't trust me without my trust ratings.

i would agree that i need collateral because i dont trust you, however, im not looking to trust you, and even if i were, trust ratings and scammer tags only have some correlation with previously documented behavior, but they do not have a causal relationship to future behavior.

economic incentives do have a causal relationship to future behavior.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
wolverine.ks i want you to lend me 1 btc for 1 hour without checking my trust rating or anything else.

Let's see.

that would be a business proposition that requires trust.

if you can give me collateral so I wouldn't have to trust you or your rating (an age old trust reducing business tactic), it would be a different story.

You need collateral because you don't trust me without my trust ratings.
Please read your own first post again and then this one..

/Thread.

Let's see.

that would be a business proposition that requires trust.

if you can give me collateral so I wouldn't have to trust you or your rating (an age old trust reducing business tactic), it would be a different story.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

Let's see.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
More important than "trust" or "scammer" tags and the like is proof of identity.

Essentially the presence of alt accounts reduces trust.

A long time forum member, on average, is more trustworthy simply due to the invested time on the forum.  An alt account in inherently untrustworthy.

Forum accounts can still be anonymous but they should be unique for each person.
Activity: 14

Thoughts?

good morning, Yes if you care to read the white paper it will make more sense. Bitcoin eliminates the need for trust by instead relying on science and proof of work. This forum is a circus...Ira
Pages:
Jump to: