Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Gains by Country (from Chainanalysis) - page 2. (Read 240 times)

Activity: 3038
Merit: 969
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
Local unfriendly regulations in India force the locals to have more P2P trades. The combined trading volume on Local Bitcoins and Paxful has increased considerably since 2019 and 2020. Source

Obviously, it is part of Indian P2P trades, not all, and also not about gains.
I feel that the Indian figure should be higher too. Unfriendly regulations in India didn't really deter many of their citizens to be honest since they got used to these warnings which are occasionally issued by the RBI.

They usually propose bills to scare the public though they never get converted into laws. Also, their government has taken a softer stance against crypto in recent times.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
I feel like Indian's must've been massively underreported. I guess this data comes from exchanges as mining profits would likely see China, sweden and Iceland higher up (or on the list).

I'd put most of the nordics at least around 0.2bn.

I imagine this data could probably be cross compiled with node by country information to determine a more accurate figure?
Methodology (from my understanding)
  • On-chain Bitcoin flows to exchanges
  • Estimated gains from it
  • Gain distributions based on share of geographical web traffic
It does not relate to mining, intentionally. The first article has a part for its methodology
How did we do this? Geographic analysis in cryptocurrency is difficult due to the technology’s decentralized nature. It’s impossible to know for sure where the parties of any individual transaction are located. However, we can produce a good estimate using transaction data from the services Chainalysis tracks.

First, we measure the on-chain flows to each cryptocurrency exchange, and approximate the total U.S. dollar gains made on the asset in question (Bitcoin in this case) by measuring the differences in the asset’s price at the time it was withdrawn from the platform versus when it was received. We then distribute those gains (or losses) by country based on the share of web traffic each country accounts for on each exchange’s website, as we did when building our Global Crypto Adoption Index. That analysis gives us a reasonable estimate for the realized gains Bitcoin investors in each country earned in 2020, though it doesn’t account for gains on assets that have yet to be withdrawn from an exchange.

Local unfriendly regulations in India force the locals to have more P2P trades. The combined trading volume on Local Bitcoins and Paxful has increased considerably since 2019 and 2020. Source

Obviously, it is part of Indian P2P trades, not all, and also not about gains.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
I feel like Indian's must've been massively underreported. I guess this data comes from exchanges as mining profits would likely see China, sweden and Iceland higher up (or on the list).

I'd put most of the nordics at least around 0.2bn.

I imagine this data could probably be cross compiled with node by country information to determine a more accurate figure?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
This thread is written with information from two sourced articles.

2020 Estimated Realized Bitcoin Gains by Country
  • United States: $4.4 B
  • China: $1.1 B
  • Japan: $0.9 B
  • United Kingdom: $0.8 B
  • Russian Federation: $0.6 B
  • Germany: $0.6 B
  • France: $0.6 B
  • Spain: $0.5 B
  • Korea, Rep., Ukraine, Netherlands, Canada, Vietnam: ~$0.4 B
Impressive stats for the USA with $4.4 B gains and this figure is about 4 times of China. China is the leader in Asia continent on which a big surprise is from India. The serious and chaotic regulations from Indian governments make India falls to rank 18theven it is the second populous nations on Earth.

Over months in 2020, most of gains are in last months of 2020. Investors from the USA have dominant profits and most of them are made on Coinbase.

Dominant gains from the USA investors are understandable if we are aware of institutional investments in 2020. You can see it in the Bitcoin Treasuries as well. Most of institutional investors are USA companies.

Pages:
Jump to: