Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin getting bought out? - page 3. (Read 3797 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
February 28, 2013, 12:47:14 AM
In short, if bitcoin itself were somehow controlled by a central authority it would be worthless.

+1

+ 21 000 000

I see what you did there Grin
Activity: 451
Merit: 250
February 28, 2013, 12:46:33 AM

Sure.  Bitcoin is on a course to become a leader in the new space of virtual currencies.

Most of the primary developers and those leading successful businesses in Bitcoin-land are pretty up-front about their friendly posture towards mainstream economic players.  And the path of least resistance vis-a-vis scaling is to move toward large-scale deployments.

Anti-bank dead-enders are going to end up as road-kill 100 miles back.  Indeed, that process is actually well underway already.  These people were critical in bootstrapping the solution, but their participation is rapidly becoming unnecessary and, frankly, kind of embarrassing and detrimental to increased adoption.  Of course such people may also end up quite wealthy if they hold on to some secret keys.

so your idea of bitcoin would be that its like paypal? neat

meanwhile, others see that the true value of bitcoin stems from its decentralization, and lack of inhibiting regulation. bitcoin is fundamentally different than "other virtual currencies" in that it is not controlled by any central authority, and in that its characteristics are immutable (or should be).

In short, if bitcoin itself were somehow controlled by a central authority it would be worthless.

Not 'my idea'.  I just call it like I see it.

The who 'fundamentally different' nature if Bitcoin is a great marketing ploy which could give it a giant leg up on it's competition.  Alas, it probably won't have much basis in reality.

Centralizing the control will depreciate it's value to you and me, but most people won't give a shit.  Indeed most people will welcome measures to stop criminals and tax cheats and I'm sure that this will be how it's marketed.

While I find the trajectory distasteful personally, it probably is my best hope to never have to work again in my life.  And the cat is out of the bag so I'm sure that there will be other solutions which match some of the features that I find important.

so what you're saying is that you're invested in bitcoin for your own personal profit, but hope that the core goal of the project ultimately fails so that everyone has to pay their taxes like good citizens, and you can enjoy your retirement?

social security recipient spotted
Activity: 476
February 28, 2013, 12:46:08 AM
Anti-bank dead-enders are going to end up as road-kill 100 miles back.

Like that embarrassing Satoshi guy?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
February 28, 2013, 12:37:02 AM

Sure.  Bitcoin is on a course to become a leader in the new space of virtual currencies.

Most of the primary developers and those leading successful businesses in Bitcoin-land are pretty up-front about their friendly posture towards mainstream economic players.  And the path of least resistance vis-a-vis scaling is to move toward large-scale deployments.

Anti-bank dead-enders are going to end up as road-kill 100 miles back.  Indeed, that process is actually well underway already.  These people were critical in bootstrapping the solution, but their participation is rapidly becoming unnecessary and, frankly, kind of embarrassing and detrimental to increased adoption.  Of course such people may also end up quite wealthy if they hold on to some secret keys.

meanwhile, others see that the true value of bitcoin stems from its decentralization, and lack of inhibiting regulation. bitcoin is fundamentally different than "other virtual currencies" in that it is not controlled by any central authority, and in that its characteristics are immutable (or should be).

Not 'my idea'.  I just call it like I see it.

The who 'fundamentally different' nature if Bitcoin is a great marketing ploy which could give it a giant leg up on it's competition.  Alas, it probably won't have much basis in reality.

Centralizing the control will depreciate it's value to you and me, but most people won't give a shit.  Indeed most people will welcome measures to stop criminals and tax cheats and I'm sure that this will be how it's marketed.

While I find the trajectory distasteful personally, it probably is my best hope to never have to work again in my life.  And the cat is out of the bag so I'm sure that there will be other solutions which match some of the features that I find important.

legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
February 28, 2013, 12:35:45 AM

+1

+ 21 000 000
legendary
Bitcoin
February 28, 2013, 12:31:59 AM

+1
February 28, 2013, 12:22:17 AM

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
February 28, 2013, 12:12:31 AM

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
February 28, 2013, 12:06:23 AM
I would think the lead developers still retain a mind of their own regardless of their involvement with the Foundation. Atleast thats still the case when you look at the Block Size issue.

I always hear the advice to store your gold outside of the US because the government will take it away. So im not sure if moving MtGox to the US is such a bright idea given the government's track record. It becomes very easy for the US government to confiscate the coins and dollars.

legendary
Bitcoin
February 27, 2013, 11:57:27 PM
good point all eyes should be on watch.
legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
February 27, 2013, 11:53:48 PM
hmmm.. It will be a good idea to keep a close eye on them
February 27, 2013, 11:49:27 PM
First Vessenes starts the Bitcoin Foundation, uniting the lead developers

Now his company is taking over Gox and bringing them to the US?

It's a little worrying when the primary exchange and the lead developers are controlled by the same people.
Pages:
Jump to: