Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin heating - page 2. (Read 2291 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501
August 28, 2016, 10:19:28 PM
Using a miner or multiple miners to heat with instead of an electric space heater or electric baseboard heat makes 100% sense.

In essence, your "mining" electric is free 'till you get to the point you have more heat generation than you need.

1300 watts isn't 5000 BTU but it's fairly close, works out to more like 4400ish.

Last winter, my mining farm (at the time a mix of some A2s, some S5s, a single SP20) and some computers I used for non-mining purposes generated enough heat to make me keep 2 windows OPEN at least a crack all winter in a older mobile home with VERY POOR insulation.
 I also had a "time of day" rate there that made electric usage somewhat CHEAPER for heating than natural gas about 65% of the time, and only a LITTLE higher the rest of the time (I DID have a "high efficiency" furnace thanks to a Federal weatherization program but I never needed to fire it up that winter).

I anticipate a similar situation where I'm at now, though the mix of miners has changed somewhat and the place I'm in now bigger but a LOT better insulated (for the most part).

There are MANY areas that traditional gas-fired HVAC is NOT cheaper than electric heat - and miners are a lot more likely to LIVE in those areas. Natural gas isn't even AVAILABLE where I live 'cause the Electric rates are so cheap as to make gas non-competative.

Yeah you are right about the btus it is closer to 4400 then 5000.
Still comes to over 100000 btu of heat for 11 cents that is dirt cheap.

My real winter power cost is 11.9 cents a kwatt.

I get so much heat from my miners my gas power bill drops from 200 a month to 75 a month.

I adjust my winter rates for calculation from 11.9 to 8.9 cents.

Just for the savings on heat

This is amazing and surely is very beneficial. You can mine alt currency too and trade in it or invest. You saved lots of money and you can even sell the money coins to help pay for the eletricals bill. How many watts per hour are you guys using ? I need to compare prices.
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
August 28, 2016, 06:44:30 PM
Using a miner or multiple miners to heat with instead of an electric space heater or electric baseboard heat makes 100% sense.

In essence, your "mining" electric is free 'till you get to the point you have more heat generation than you need.

1300 watts isn't 5000 BTU but it's fairly close, works out to more like 4400ish.

Last winter, my mining farm (at the time a mix of some A2s, some S5s, a single SP20) and some computers I used for non-mining purposes generated enough heat to make me keep 2 windows OPEN at least a crack all winter in a older mobile home with VERY POOR insulation.
 I also had a "time of day" rate there that made electric usage somewhat CHEAPER for heating than natural gas about 65% of the time, and only a LITTLE higher the rest of the time (I DID have a "high efficiency" furnace thanks to a Federal weatherization program but I never needed to fire it up that winter).

I anticipate a similar situation where I'm at now, though the mix of miners has changed somewhat and the place I'm in now bigger but a LOT better insulated (for the most part).

There are MANY areas that traditional gas-fired HVAC is NOT cheaper than electric heat - and miners are a lot more likely to LIVE in those areas. Natural gas isn't even AVAILABLE where I live 'cause the Electric rates are so cheap as to make gas non-competative.

Yeah you are right about the btus it is closer to 4400 then 5000.
Still comes to over 100000 btu of heat for 11 cents that is dirt cheap.

My real winter power cost is 11.9 cents a kwatt.

I get so much heat from my miners my gas power bill drops from 200 a month to 75 a month.

I adjust my winter rates for calculation from 11.9 to 8.9 cents.

Just for the savings on heat
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
August 28, 2016, 06:35:17 PM

legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
August 28, 2016, 01:16:55 PM
I partially heat with my miners during the winter.
There's a limit to how much heat you can generate too, it's very cold where I live.

Also, there are significantly more efficient ways to heat using less energy.
Regardless of the price of your electricity (unless it's free), you will save money using a more standard HVAC solution.

wrong  since the miner can earn coin and save on heat.

for instance the s-7  uses 1300 watts    hashs at 4700 gh  and at 10 cent power it loses 11 cents a day

So as a miner it is a loser if you have 10 cent power  you lose 3.30 usd a month.

but 1300 watts is 5000 btus of  heat an hour  and  120,000 a day and  you can not get heat that cheaply from any hvac that I know of.

is it really practical to heat a whole home with s-7's  depends on your setup.

s-9's  are better but cost a lot.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024
August 28, 2016, 01:01:22 PM
I partially heat with my miners during the winter.
There's a limit to how much heat you can generate too, it's very cold where I live.

Also, there are significantly more efficient ways to heat using less energy.
Regardless of the price of your electricity (unless it's free), you will save money using a more standard HVAC solution.
Activity: 256
Merit: 118
August 28, 2016, 02:29:33 AM
Hi,
Just a shower thoughts I wanted to share.
I live in France (That's why how awful my English is), winter is cold. My flat is electric heated.

Electric heating is basically, transforming electricity in heat with close 100% efficiency (less some IR/electromagnetic).
From some point of view (data processing apart), a computer is nothing else than an electric heater.
Is the following idea somehow smart?: replacing heaters by mining bay, that turn in winter, getting (feedbacking with arduino) a constant overall 20°C ?
Would I have a substantial rake-bake ? (Like "pay the bay in a year or so" substantial)
(Though Ether mining seems more profitable, it's not the subject)

A nice amount of people actually use their miners as heaters in winter.

That way, even though they might be losing money overall with mining , they save in heaters.

But be careful, because the miners that produce enough heat are also VERY noisy due to the fan speed.

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
August 27, 2016, 06:06:25 PM
Hi,
Just a shower thoughts I wanted to share.
I live in France (That's why how awful my English is), winter is cold. My flat is electric heated.

Electric heating is basically, transforming electricity in heat with close 100% efficiency (less some IR/electromagnetic).
From some point of view (data processing apart), a computer is nothing else than an electric heater.
Is the following idea somehow smart?: replacing heaters by mining bay, that turn in winter, getting (feedbacking with arduino) a constant overall 20°C ?
Would I have a substantial rake-bake ? (Like "pay the bay in a year or so" substantial)
(Though Ether mining seems more profitable, it's not the subject)
Pages:
Jump to: