Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin is a PoS - page 5. (Read 10049 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
May 29, 2011, 04:20:14 AM
People are selling some bitcoins on ebay now. I don't know if ebay is going to allow this to continue long term, but if it does, that could become an easy place to buy and sell bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
May 29, 2011, 04:09:40 AM
The Bitcoin "system" doesn't have you getting coins as one of it's goals. If you can convince anyone with coins to send you some the system will do that in a snap. Your problem is finding something valuable to exchange. It turns out that you can cancel payment on Bitcoin purchases really easily and you need to find a way to overcome people's worry that you will do that. One way is sending a wire, another is handing cash to someone, another is building a reputation/meeting people/making friends/proving your trustworthy identity and then using PP or similar, another is selling or doing something valuable.

It's your problem and it's not that hard to solve if you want to.

edit: My tone might be too harsh. There are people trying to find better ways. CoinPal was great, but PP shut them down. Dwolla can be used to get money to MtGox. Either way it has nothing to do with tech savy. My parents fed-ex'd a bag of cash.
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000
May 29, 2011, 04:07:57 AM
I didn't find using a wire transfer to send funds to mt. gox difficult at all. Just log on to my bank online, send the money, wait for it to appear in my mt. gox account. It's not instant, that's about the only thing that could be better.

Of course, I don't know how difficult US banks are with transfers.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
May 29, 2011, 03:57:20 AM
No one will accept your reversible credit card or PayPal money for non-reversible bitcoins unless you prove your trustworthiness in some way. The difficulty of trading isn't a problem with Bitcoin (mostly): all non-reversible payment methods such as wire/ACH transfers are just difficult to use, and you need to use them to get bitcoins.

Pecunix is 9 years old, but it still has this problem because it is also non-reversible. In fact, Pecunix is probably even more difficult to get. Same for Liberty Reserve, though it is younger than Pecunix.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
May 29, 2011, 03:46:03 AM
I do not mean to be hateful in any way, but this system just stinks. I am totally on board with the idea that government-issued currency has got to go, and I hope Bitcoin does well.

I downloaded and installed the Bitcoin program. I then looked for a way to acquire Bitcoins.

I have spent over an hour just trying find a way to acquire Bitcoins and I have given up. I get it that the Bitcoin "first-tryers" are a knowledgeable and tech-savvy demographic, but you have made this thing too hard to figure out how to use!

I live in the United States. I have a bank account consisting of US Dollars. I want to get Bitcoins with my US Dollars. I am trying to exchange the world's most popular currency for a currency that's less than five years old, and I have yet to find any website out there that wants to make it easy for me.

I am a person of higher-than-average intelligence and I am an IT professional. I know how computers and the internet work. And, I sympathize with the goal of abolishing government money. If I cannot figure out how this system is supposed to work, then I have to wonder how many other people out there are not willing (or able) to get into the world of Bitcoins. If you're going to try to get people to accept something new (like the Bitcoin) you have to make it easy to use! I appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into setting Bitcoin up, but you have to make it digestible to the common person.

If I wanna go buy something on newegg.com, for example, I just go to the checkout, enter my debit card number and that's it! I don't have to do research in order to find out how to buy a flipping USB cable.

If anyone can address my concerns now that would be great, but otherwise, I'll come back in about 6 or 7 years, when someone has figured out a way to make getting Bitcoins easy.
Pages:
Jump to: