Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin is not real money. - page 3. (Read 4611 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
September 29, 2012, 02:13:59 AM
The only real criticism is that it cannot currently be exchanged as easily for other currencies around the world.

If someone uses the "because it's electronic" argument, they are stupid. Nobody thinks twice about a debit card as being real money.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 29, 2012, 02:12:19 AM
I would ask

a) what makes something real money?  When they give you a tortured definition I would name things which fail to fit that definition.  foreign currency, gold, silver, silver reserve notes, digital "dollars" (like value in a bank account).

b) does it matter?  For the sake of the argument pretend Bitcoin IS PLAY money.  If I can exchange this "play money" for both USD (or other "real" money) and goods/services is there any value in the definition of real vs play.

If they still don't get it ... well they don't want to get it.   They will get it in 15-20 years when their favorite celebrity is talking about how Bitcoin is the "IN" thing.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
September 29, 2012, 02:05:59 AM
I log into Wikipedia and find that somebody deleted most of the article. What do I find as a reason?

Reason: Most of this is not true. Bitcoin is not real money. It's toy money, etc.

What gives people the idea that Bitcoin is play money when it trades at over $10 a unit? Why can't people see it as real or are threatened by the idea of it being real?

What do you tell someone who says "Bitcoin is not real money."?
Pages:
Jump to: