Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Laws Imminent - page 4. (Read 6324 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
June 28, 2011, 11:01:10 AM
Last time I checked, criminal laws in the US are made by the legislature, not by the courts. Really, that was the best you could come up with?
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
June 28, 2011, 11:00:51 AM
I wonder how this could actually work. Would legislation that affects Bitcoin also affect Facebook's game currency or the Linden Dollar?

I can't imagine that they could rush something through like this
Courts don't right legislation, they interpret existing legislation.
So either some aspects of Bitcoin fall foul of existing legislation or the courts can't do anything.

Who said anything about courts? I think the OP was referring to the legislative branch.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
June 28, 2011, 10:59:23 AM
I wonder how this could actually work. Would legislation that affects Bitcoin also affect Facebook's game currency or the Linden Dollar?

Courts don't right write legislation, they interpret existing legislation.
So either some aspects of Bitcoin fall foul of existing legislation or the courts can't do anything.

Edited because although courts can right legislation, that's not what I meant...
Activity: 176
Merit: 106
XMR = BTC in 2010. Rise chikun.
June 28, 2011, 10:58:39 AM
I just went to that link and searched for "bitcoin" and nothing showed up.  Methinks these people are just trying to spread FUD...
June 28, 2011, 10:57:45 AM

I think it would be something that involves unregulated money exchanges. That would get to the heart of the difference between bitcoins and game currency. There are lots of places that will sell you some amount of points for cash, but bitcoin is the only place you can turn those "points" back into cash.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
June 28, 2011, 10:57:27 AM
This week the US courts service (UScourts.gov) has shown increasing interest in Bitcoins.  Their research is ongoing but hastily scaling-up from where it was last week.
cite a source please?

Good point. The article doesn't.
Activity: 321
Firstbits: 1gyzhw
June 28, 2011, 10:55:26 AM

Activity: 74
Merit: 10
www.minethings.com
June 28, 2011, 10:55:00 AM
This week the US courts service (UScourts.gov) has shown increasing interest in Bitcoins.  Their research is ongoing but hastily scaling-up from where it was last week.
cite a source please?
June 28, 2011, 10:52:32 AM
Exchanges seems like the easiest target, dealing with all that money. I really doubt we'll see any actual legislation for a few years though. It is possible it gets slipped into some other, unrelated bill sooner then that. But I just don't think bitcoin is really on the radar yet to get real national attention.
Activity: 280
June 28, 2011, 10:46:44 AM
Here we go!

http://nerdr.com/bitcoin-laws-imminent-bit-coin-soon-to-be-illegal-in-us/

Seems we have new orders from the top.

The question then becomes, who’s first in the Bitcoin firing line?

Bitcoin Miners.
Bitcoin Exchanges.
Bitcoin Wallet Owners.
Bitcoin Commerce.
Pages:
Jump to: