Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Life Insurance - page 2. (Read 659 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080
February 01, 2023, 01:18:38 PM
This is a topic that’s been brought up quite a few time over the years and there’s even been books written about “Bitcoin succession planning”.  I made a post about this in the collectibles sections as fancy cold wallets like that are very hard to know how to sell when someone passes away. There’s really a pretty easy solution to all of this and that’s having a proper will set up and have directions on how to access your coins in case of passing away. Make sure your loved ones know where to find the directions is all.
Collectibles are the worst because you never know when they have been tampered with and 2nd hand hardware wallets should not be trusted as they have been hacked in the past which has caused many people here to lose their money. I would stay away from collectibles for storing any big value on them and only have them for sentimental value.
Activity: 350
Merit: 255
February 01, 2023, 09:44:04 AM
Having insurance on btc is like you have given your assets completely to a stranger who is not suppose to know anything about it. Bitcoin was designed to be kept safe by the owner in a noncustodial wallet, and if you give a third party access to your btc,it means that you are going against the all design of bitcoin which is decentralization and this can lead to regrets. My opinion is that we should teach our loves know about our investment and also letting them know the keys and every other secured aspect of it,so that when you pass on,it becomes easy for them to access. Teaching them about bitcoin and wallets to keep coins should be more of our concentration, so that they can find it easier to inherit your btc when you are no more.
Activity: 1077
Merit: 534
January 31, 2023, 04:50:33 PM
This is a topic that’s been brought up quite a few time over the years and there’s even been books written about “Bitcoin succession planning”.  I made a post about this in the collectibles sections as fancy cold wallets like that are very hard to know how to sell when someone passes away. There’s really a pretty easy solution to all of this and that’s having a proper will set up and have directions on how to access your coins in case of passing away. Make sure your loved ones know where to find the directions is all.

Well said m8. I agree, a will is really all that is needed here. I think it is also note worthy the importance of having the proper executor of the estate who is trustworthy to distribute all assets accordingly.

Honestly, something like a BTC or Crypto Insurance Policy though wouldn't be a terrible idea for people who hold $$$ on exchanges, even temporarily in the event of a sudden hack. More so, exchanges in general should have that insurance, although i'm sure its very difficult to get if they can even get it at all.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
January 31, 2023, 01:32:20 PM
legendary
Activity: 3150
Merit: 1197
January 31, 2023, 01:14:10 PM
So far, in my opinion, there may be 2 choices that can be made, namely storing it in a bank safe or better known as the Safe Deposit Box. This may sound a little odd, but when there is no trustee to trust, at least the SDB is still efficient. Then the options of the closest people especially family can be used as an alternative to Bitcoin inheritance, but they also have vulnerabilities.
This is a better idea, actually in our house there is a attache case with lock that is store in a cabinet with lock with all the files of properties for security purposes that can only be access by our parents before but then later on they also tell where the keys is when were adult enough to know. Though it will be safer to put it in other secured safe area with insurance security for some events like fire or in bank safe especially the ledger and keys  for insurance purposes since we can’t guarantee if there will be some fires or thefts if only left at home and just include it in will or mention to family members since they can only access it if have owner consent.
Every house won't have safety deposit box. Good choice is the bank's deposit box, because in house one can take hold of the box and enjoy all the savings. With bank both the heir needs to be present while the safety box belongings were taken out and given. As said fire and natural disasters were possible everywhere. So, better is to have the same piece of secret phrase stored in different locations.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 525
Bitcoin makes the world go 🔃
January 31, 2023, 12:11:58 PM
So far, in my opinion, there may be 2 choices that can be made, namely storing it in a bank safe or better known as the Safe Deposit Box. This may sound a little odd, but when there is no trustee to trust, at least the SDB is still efficient. Then the options of the closest people especially family can be used as an alternative to Bitcoin inheritance, but they also have vulnerabilities.
This is a better idea, actually in our house there is a attache case with lock that is store in a cabinet with lock with all the files of properties for security purposes that can only be access by our parents before but then later on they also tell where the keys is when were adult enough to know. Though it will be safer to put it in other secured safe area with insurance security for some events like fire or in bank safe especially the ledger and keys  for insurance purposes since we can’t guarantee if there will be some fires or thefts if only left at home and just include it in will or mention to family members since they can only access it if have owner consent.
Activity: 1946
Merit: 583
Free Crypto Faucet in Trustdice
January 31, 2023, 12:01:20 PM

Activity: 41
Merit: 2
January 31, 2023, 11:59:30 AM
Hmm interesting concept
Activity: 1077
Merit: 534
January 31, 2023, 11:39:28 AM
Or, just have it as a standard loss policy. If coins cannot be retrieved then it's no different then if your house gets broken into and something stolen, or you dropped that priceless piece of art.
There is the potential for fraud, but there is always the possibility for that with any kind of insurance.
The question would be can you make it cheap enough that people would be interested, but expensive enough to generate a profit for the company otherwise nobody would offer it.

-Dave

Was just thinking about this last night dave. Instead of trusting it to a third party, why not just insure the bitcoin with a specialized BTC policy?

The only problem with that is how do you insure an asset that has amazing upside potential but also can decrease substantially as well? All of that volatility would be hard to come up with a specialized plan, but it would definitely serve its purpose in the market and I think institutional investors would be more inclined to buy BTC if they can insure it.   
legendary
January 31, 2023, 08:59:03 AM
There is a serious need for "Bitcoin Life Insurance" In the coming years we are going to see so many cases of "Lost Coins", these will be coins that are not accessible because the surviving heirs are unsure of the password to the ledger or trezor, or whatever cold storage wallet they have, or they just won't have copies of the private keys.

I am not aware of any such policy or service that is trusted to mitigate the transfer of ownership of crypto assets to heirs in the event of one's death. Is anyone familiar with a company that does this? If so, what measures do they take to ensure that the crypto is indeed successfully transferred?  Is it a Trust, or some sort of financial advisory board? If someone signed up, how could they ensure that the companies products/services are to be trusted?

I'm sure this subject has been brought up. I have just finished up my CEs for my 215 license to continue selling life insurance/ health insurance and it got me thinking. What are your thoughts on this?/ is anyone aware of a company that provides said service?

Best,

TREAD

Quite frankly, I believe the case of "Lost Coins" could actually be less now because we cannot compare the understanding of Bitcoin today with how people took Bitcoin in the past decade. Investors could be more careful in handly their info even though there might still be that issue of if the loved ones can access that info after the holder's demise.
Secondly, talking about Bitcoin Life Insurance, what will be the option here, give them your PKs to all your wallets while you are still alive or give them the wallet to pass down to who should have it without the PKs which is still the same problem, I don't see how this will work with the traditional Insurance way.

Over time people will learn how to make their btc safe but that will not stop people who die and do not have a way of giving that btc to their children. It will not stop people who lose their private key or seed because that happens a lot. That might be because of a mistake as mistakes happen but it could be because someone did not understand btc and that is why it is important to understand the security of btc but we will always have people invested in btc that will not research how to store their btc and will lose it.
Activity: 1512
Merit: 115
January 31, 2023, 08:48:15 AM
There is a serious need for "Bitcoin Life Insurance" In the coming years we are going to see so many cases of "Lost Coins", these will be coins that are not accessible because the surviving heirs are unsure of the password to the ledger or trezor, or whatever cold storage wallet they have, or they just won't have copies of the private keys.

I am not aware of any such policy or service that is trusted to mitigate the transfer of ownership of crypto assets to heirs in the event of one's death. Is anyone familiar with a company that does this? If so, what measures do they take to ensure that the crypto is indeed successfully transferred?  Is it a Trust, or some sort of financial advisory board? If someone signed up, how could they ensure that the companies products/services are to be trusted?

I'm sure this subject has been brought up. I have just finished up my CEs for my 215 license to continue selling life insurance/ health insurance and it got me thinking. What are your thoughts on this?/ is anyone aware of a company that provides said service?

Best,

TREAD

Quite frankly, I believe the case of "Lost Coins" could actually be less now because we cannot compare the understanding of Bitcoin today with how people took Bitcoin in the past decade. Investors could be more careful in handly their info even though there might still be that issue of if the loved ones can access that info after the holder's demise.
Secondly, talking about Bitcoin Life Insurance, what will be the option here, give them your PKs to all your wallets while you are still alive or give them the wallet to pass down to who should have it without the PKs which is still the same problem, I don't see how this will work with the traditional Insurance way.

legendary
January 31, 2023, 08:24:21 AM
I am not aware of any such policy or service that is trusted to mitigate the transfer of ownership of crypto assets to heirs in the event of one's death. Is anyone familiar with a company that does this? If so, what measures do they take to ensure that the crypto is indeed successfully transferred?  Is it a Trust, or some sort of financial advisory board? If someone signed up, how could they ensure that the companies products/services are to be trusted?

You could keep coins on a hardware wallet, put it in a lockbox and entrust a 3rd party to pass the lockbox to your next of kin or beneficiary when you die. There wouldn't need to be a unique service for this because there's already ways to pass down property to someone after you die. A specific crypto ownership transfer service just seems like a waste. And to any observer, they'd be handing over something that seems worthless. They wouldn't know there's crypto within the device. Of course, this isn't really how insurance typically works. You'd need a will set up for this.
The hardware wallet would still need a pin to get into it. You would have to supply whoever is going to get your inheritance with all the information but still keep that hardware secure while you are alive but they need to know where it is just in case you pass away unexpectedly. It is a complex answer because securing a hardware wallet while someone knows where it is difficult. I would say do not give them the combination to the safe or lockbox and just give them the hardware wallet pin code that way they would need to crack open the safe or lockbox which can be done given enough time but probably would not go unnoticed in your own home.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1512
January 31, 2023, 08:16:39 AM

You could keep coins on a hardware wallet, put it in a lockbox and entrust a 3rd party to pass the lockbox to your next of kin or beneficiary when you die. There wouldn't need to be a unique service for this because there's already ways to pass down property to someone after you die. A specific crypto ownership transfer service just seems like a waste. And to any observer, they'd be handing over something that seems worthless. They wouldn't know there's crypto within the device. Of course, this isn't really how insurance typically works. You'd need a will set up for this.
legendary
January 31, 2023, 07:38:23 AM
Any insurance scheme relies on the basic assumption that the money paid by buyers will be a percentage larger than the total amount of insurance they actually have to pay to damaged customers. So this will not work in cryptocurrency space as the only people who will buy it are those who are highly likely to get scammed, and the business will also close doors.
It is proving that you have been scammed that will be the problem. Most insurance companies want to see evidence on where you have lost out and that is a chore but with btc it not easy to prove because you probably do not have invoices like you would in the normal world and you cannot prove that you have not just sent your btc to a address you own and tried to scam the insurance company. Insurance for btc will never work.
Activity: 434
Merit: 9
January 31, 2023, 06:55:09 AM
What will happen to the idea of bitcoin  for animosity and decentralization.

How can you maintain the animosity in insurance when you need to give all your personal information for verification and authentication.

Also, this will be a huge risk and subject to scam.

I prefer to just share my account to my partner than to any company or group that can bail out anytime and for me to lose everything in just a second  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
January 31, 2023, 06:23:52 AM
Any insurance scheme relies on the basic assumption that the money paid by buyers will be a percentage larger than the total amount of insurance they actually have to pay to damaged customers. So this will not work in cryptocurrency space as the only people who will buy it are those who are highly likely to get scammed, and the business will also close doors.
Activity: 2380
Merit: 251
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
January 31, 2023, 06:07:51 AM

Best,

TREAD
There is no such insurance policy for covering the loss made by crypto currencies that is why exchanges lose their value to zero when they are hacked, and it can be insured as well cause its decentralized and it has the possibility of involve into insurance scams even if any insurance company provide in the future so keep your money on your own and if you feel a part of your asset should reach your heirs then just give it to them when you are there.
Activity: 2072
Merit: 337
January 31, 2023, 05:02:10 AM
I know there's a few people who proposed a similar idea but I think it was unsuccessful because the thread receive lots of criticism and then forgotten after some days. It's truly hard to entrust your keys to someone else online but unless maybe if they do have a physical office similar to banks but many banks are much older and much known than them so it's easier for them to gain the trust of the public.

Anyway, cases of lost Bitcoins aren't really new but their numbers are high before compared to now because people back in time are clueless that the coin that they are holding are very valuable that its price can increase by a lot of folds.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
January 31, 2023, 04:27:57 AM

Part of the reason baseball cards, sports memorabilia and collectibles appreciate in value over time. Involves many cards, collectibles and memorabilia being lost or destroyed, resulting in deflation and scarcity of assets.

The same principle could apply to bitcoin. As coins are lost, deflation and scarcity increase. Which naturally would contribute towards the price being driven upwards steeply over the long term.

Lost coins would contribute towards bitcoin becoming a more exclusive and rare asset. Like mining rewards halving it would drive the price of bitcoin upwards, under natural market mechanics.

Speculation and volatility are the unknown variables. If it were purely a matter of market forces and trends, bitcoin's value could be expected to appreciate at a linear rate as coins are lost and become defunct.
Activity: 280
Merit: 151
God is All
January 31, 2023, 03:22:55 AM

Best,

TREAD
Indeed Bitcoin is really a life insurance. But it may end up with only the owner that is no third party can have access to it after the departure of the owner
Pages:
Jump to: