Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Malware - page 3. (Read 4046 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I can draw your avatar!
September 01, 2015, 04:42:31 AM
i recently found a malware that changes bitcoin addresses when copied to the hackers address so just watch out and check to make sure that the bitcoin address you copy comes out the same when you paste it  Smiley

it is safer to store your coins on a hardware wallet:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253

it is, but sometimes you need to pay for something online, you need to copy the addresses, it might be easier to check and find the flaw, but it is still a risk that the address sending too is changed when copy-pasted.

Thanks for the warning, do scan my devices regularly, not just for the bitcoin, better safe than sorry.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
September 01, 2015, 03:48:50 AM
i recently found a malware that changes bitcoin addresses when copied to the hackers address so just watch out and check to make sure that the bitcoin address you copy comes out the same when you paste it  Smiley

Thanks for sharing this info. It is amazing the genius of malware programmers ... changing the copied address.... shocking.

I mean honestly that's not really that genius. Anyone that knows windows programming can check every time something is copied to the clipboard, see if it's a bitcoin address and then replace it with their own.

That is true, but it's usually the simple things in life that work better Wink
I think also that, if it wants to avoid malware such, we must also have a strong security system in our computer
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
September 01, 2015, 03:32:15 AM

Thanks for sharing this info. It is amazing the genius of malware programmers ... changing the copied address.... shocking.

I mean honestly that's not really that genius. Anyone that knows windows programming can check every time something is copied to the clipboard, see if it's a bitcoin address and then replace it with their own.

That is true, but it's usually the simple things in life that work better Wink
Activity: 259
Merit: 250
September 01, 2015, 02:17:27 AM
So can someone tell me what the source of the malware is? Is it something that infects chrome? In that case im safe? I use Mozilla firefox. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

It has nothing to do with chrome itself. The first version of this malware that was sold advised to use "chrome.exe" as process name, because it would look least suspicious (as long as you do have chrome on your pc Tongue).
Meanwhile there are dozens of "new" versions of this malware with other process names then "chrome.exe".
This malware is mostly injected in a pdf!

The copied address gets replaced 5-15% of the times an adress is copied.
The first 3-6 characters of the "new" address will be the same as the first characters of the originally copied address.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
August 31, 2015, 09:11:27 PM

Don't just check the address you're sending to, check the change address for that transaction also, it too can be substituted for an attacker's address.
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
August 31, 2015, 09:10:14 PM

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
August 31, 2015, 09:07:40 PM

Activity: 624
August 31, 2015, 08:04:45 PM
So can someone tell me what the source of the malware is? Is it something that infects chrome? In that case im safe? I use Mozilla firefox. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I can't say for sure in this case, but mostly people get infected with mallware binded to some legit .exe, or via Java-drive-by. In either case both browsers are not to blame,
since it's not an exploit of sorts, but rather a diversion (jdb mostly asks you to update codecs, or update java version.. etc)
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252
August 31, 2015, 07:54:44 PM
Activity: 521
August 31, 2015, 07:42:25 PM
Just wanted to add this; Sometimes mallwares makes additional registry entry to both CurrentVersion\Run" and CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
So it's best to check both, because one can copy the instance back to every registry entry, forcing you back to square one.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
August 31, 2015, 06:53:06 PM
Wow that could be a serious problem, but I always checked twice when I want to send a Bitcoin.

Great, so we as users have to remain cautious.
very serious, for those who frequently send BTC in large amount.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
August 31, 2015, 06:49:13 PM
thank you for the information you provided
I would be more careful
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
August 31, 2015, 06:41:32 PM
Wow that could be a serious problem, but I always checked twice when I want to send a Bitcoin.
legendary
August 31, 2015, 06:19:37 PM
Linux.

No anti-this and anti-that software. Ditch Windows and use Linux, you'll avoid most of these types of attacks.
If you are looking for a linux version that has a windows feel I suggest Linux Mint, you can use wine for most windows programs but games have a lot of compatibility issues.

Don't forget linux is free :http://www.linuxmint.com/

Yes, Mint is excellent for new Linux users, it's really easy to install and is very forgiving when it comes to using peripherals with it. At least compared to other Linux distros anyway.

Be careful everybody with Linux if you have a brand new, latest Intel chip computer. Sometimes the newest hardware isn't supported properly yet, so either wait till the hardware is 6 months or so old, or wait that long till you try Linux on it. Or you could be brave  Cheesy It is a brave move, though.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
August 31, 2015, 06:08:03 PM
Damn that looks good i would buy it but i just lost my money to this stupid malware  Angry
August 31, 2015, 06:01:33 PM
i would love to use linux but my wifi stick doesnt have the drivers for linux
legendary
August 31, 2015, 05:58:17 PM
Linux.

No anti-this and anti-that software. Ditch Windows and use Linux, you'll avoid most of these types of attacks.
August 31, 2015, 05:49:24 PM
im glad i could help everyone but just because your internet security says its ok still be cautious because there are ways around internet security. There is alot of software like this being sold for like $2-$5 some even give it out for free so be careful
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 1515
August 31, 2015, 04:45:38 PM
Important to note that there are countless types of malware that can infect your PC and steal your wallet.  A virus that copies and pastes the wrong address seems like something that would be easy to catch, at least for me as I double check addresses before sending. Keyloggers are probably the most notable or taking people's bitcoin, or RATs. Both are very easy to steal Bitcoin while the owner of the wallet is away from their computer and unaware of their PC being infected.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
August 31, 2015, 04:38:48 PM
Chrome is the malware.

it seems logical ...  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: