Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Miner as a job - page 2. (Read 5553 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
November 25, 2014, 09:20:58 AM
home mining is tough right now.  depending on your region and how much they charge for power.  you may be better off buying the coin instead.

I believe that is true, pretty much home mining is not really a job but at the moment with the average electricity rate that must people have at home.

I say as a lot people have mentioned on the forums this is more of a hobby.

I had to just sell off my miners be off since the price dropped to $400. It just does produce enough to cover expenses.

I say its a job if you manage a large data center with all electricity running on solar and never pay electricity ever again.

I hope mining will lead to faster pace development in the solar energy.

Solar is just too high priced for the wattage needed with mining.    

I personally am lucky with low priced electricity and it's winter so free to super cheap cooling.

I have used winter to expand soon I will be up to 11k watts (approx 15T worth of gear).  Winter is making it possible for me personally.

Yes the price for solar is way to high and I can make guess to why that is but that is most likely a different topic in itself.

And you are lucky with low electricity I really do wish I had the same since even as a hobby, mining itself is pretty fun overall.

To a certain degree like a lot of times, hobby for what I believe is suppose to take a lot of money and it's stuff you don't even consider about ROI cause it is fun and what you want to do.

At the moment just feels like all you do is pay bills with nothing much left which to me definition of a job? Haha  Tongue

I actually feel good with my low electricity.   I am doing more then paying just bills.  It is no longer guaranteed  ROI, but is very possible for me.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
-All Investment Has its Risks and Rewards-
November 25, 2014, 01:18:37 AM
home mining is tough right now.  depending on your region and how much they charge for power.  you may be better off buying the coin instead.

I believe that is true, pretty much home mining is not really a job but at the moment with the average electricity rate that must people have at home.

I had to just sell off my miners be off since the price dropped to $400. It just does produce enough to cover expenses.

I say its a job if you manage a large data center with all electricity running on solar and never pay electricity ever again.

I personally am lucky with low priced electricity and it's winter so free to super cheap cooling.

I have used winter to expand soon I will be up to 11k watts (approx 15T worth of gear).  Winter is making it possible for me personally.

Yes the price for solar is way to high and I can make guess to why that is but that is most likely a different topic in itself.

And you are lucky with low electricity I really do wish I had the same since even as a hobby, mining itself is pretty fun overall.

To a certain degree like a lot of times, hobby for what I believe is suppose to take a lot of money and it's stuff you don't even consider about ROI cause it is fun and what you want to do.

At the moment just feels like all you do is pay bills with nothing much left which to me definition of a job? Haha  Tongue
legendary
November 25, 2014, 12:59:07 AM
This is true. Generally speaking the prices that mining manufacturers are charging for retail customers are higher then what can realistically be earned from mining (even before subtracting the cost of electricity). In order to be able to realistically ROI on physical miners you will generally need to buy at the very least tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, much more then the OP is considering purchasing. 

I would agree power is a lot of the cost.  It's either in your favor or not.  Personally I am lucky to have lot's of space and decent priced electricity.

I just finished a little over 11k watts on my mining.... and I consider myself a hobby miner not job.   15 TH was fun to hit myself, but in the big pool of miners I'm a small fish still.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Thug for life!
November 24, 2014, 10:05:07 PM
This is true. Generally speaking the prices that mining manufacturers are charging for retail customers are higher then what can realistically be earned from mining (even before subtracting the cost of electricity). In order to be able to realistically ROI on physical miners you will generally need to buy at the very least tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, much more then the OP is considering purchasing. 
legendary
November 23, 2014, 02:22:01 PM
home mining is tough right now.  depending on your region and how much they charge for power.  you may be better off buying the coin instead.

I have used winter to expand soon I will be up to 11k watts (approx 15T worth of gear).  Winter is making it possible for me personally.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
-All Investment Has its Risks and Rewards-
November 23, 2014, 02:14:02 PM
home mining is tough right now.  depending on your region and how much they charge for power.  you may be better off buying the coin instead.

legendary
Activity: 1050
November 23, 2014, 10:10:57 AM
If you're a programmer why not code for money? In this field there is a big demand for quality programmers.

Mining is a thankless job, you will struggle to simply break RoI.

You can make a lot of money mining if you are very good and dedicated or you can make a lot of Dollar when Bitcoin rises in price.

If the profit is dependent on price rise then its much better to buy the Bitcoins instead. At these prices its more profitable to buy and hold rather than spend the amount mining.
Activity: 686
Merit: 504
November 23, 2014, 07:21:45 AM
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
November 22, 2014, 11:50:03 PM
though to be totally fair the 'luck' on btcguild has been sweet the past few days..

Yeah I keep expecting them to post a news item begging for their coins back because they screwed up somehow Wink
legendary
November 22, 2014, 11:26:09 PM
though to be totally fair the 'luck' on btcguild has been sweet the past few days..

They had a dry spell for a while.   I loved the pool for the longest time though.   
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001
November 22, 2014, 10:06:34 PM

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
November 22, 2014, 06:42:13 PM
If you're a programmer why not code for money? In this field there is a big demand for quality programmers.

You can make a lot of money mining if you are very good and dedicated or you can make a lot of Dollar when Bitcoin rises in price.

Being "very good and dedicated" means nothing when it comes to BTC mining. Good luck is the best you can hope for. And that's much, much harder these days.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 22, 2014, 05:51:24 PM

You can make a lot of money mining...

Hahahahahaha

Dream on.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
November 22, 2014, 05:49:41 PM

legendary
Activity: 1050
November 22, 2014, 11:22:18 AM

November 22, 2014, 10:23:38 AM
I just bought 100 barrels of brent crude.
Now, THAT is what i call investment Smiley

interesting!

my old man just yesterday told me to consider crude...

please elaborate or PM.

PM'd you mate

so it is at 80.36 usd what price  did you get in on?

BTW 100 x 80.36 = 8036 I could see it bounce back to 99 soon.

about 2 mins before close of trading last night  Grin
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
November 22, 2014, 10:19:15 AM

interesting!

please elaborate or PM.

PM'd you mate

so it is at 80.36 usd what price  did you get in on?

BTW 100 x 80.36 = 8036 I could see it bounce back to 99 soon.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
November 22, 2014, 09:13:01 AM
You don't even need to learn math to know that you will never earn $200 per week with 1.7THs. Did you even bother to google "bitcoin mining calculator"? How on earth did you come up with your ridiculous number?!

Put 1.7TH (SP20 hashrate) into this calculator here... https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator and the number you get will be ~$54 per day. And that's not including the cost of electricity. AND you still need to buy a PSU to power it.
November 22, 2014, 05:25:48 AM

interesting!

please elaborate or PM.

PM'd you mate
November 22, 2014, 05:08:39 AM
Get a job.

He wants a job that's why he's asking about mining. People are coin traders full time, what would you say to them?

strong buy - brent crude oil

you're welcome.
Pages:
Jump to: