Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Mining Pool distribution monthly reports - page 3. (Read 2105 times)

legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1255
Logo Designer ⛨ BSFL Division1
Data Shows 50% Of Bitcoin Hashrate Controlled By Two Mining Pools
This is old data from last month, and situation is different now, if you cared to look yourself this two pools now have around 46% of hashrate that is less than 50%.
Two mining pool means more centralized but this is not two people mining, it's many people joined together in this pools and thy can switch pools anytime.

Month of Mach is here and time for quick look at the state of mining pools.
Foundry USA is still biggest pool with more than 27% of hashrate but that is much less than they had month before.
Antpool is in second place with almost 19% of hashrate that is similar like last month, but we have switch on third place with comeback of F2Poll that has 16% hashrate.
Binance slipped to fourth place with 10.59% hashrate, followed by ViaBTC and BTC.com pools.
All other pools are smaller in size and I don't see anything unusual.

https://mempool.space/graphs/mining/pools
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
Data Shows 50% Of Bitcoin Hashrate Controlled By Two Mining Pools
The graph shows that over 80% of Bitcoin’s mining power is concentrated among just 5 pools. This contrasts with the beginning of 2022, when these five mining pools barely exceeded 60% of the hashrate.
https://bitcoinist.com/data-shows-50-of-bitcoin-hashrate-controlled-by-two-mining-pools/
Centralization in bitcoin mining is increasing rapidly.
legendary
Month of February is here and it's time to see what is happening with Bitcoin mining pools.
FoundryUSA continues to be biggest pool and it's increased a lot since last month, now it has over 32.5% of hashrate and with second place Antpool they both have over 52% of hashrate!
This is first time in a long time that we see two pools have this much hash power, so it's time to move miners to other pools to help decentrlaization.
Third place is now shared by Binance and F2pool that have same 13.59% of hashrate, that are followed by ViaBTC pool that have 7.8% hashrate.
All other pools are much smaller in size and I don't see anything interesting to say about them.

legendary
New year started and it's time to check the state of Bitcoin mining pools.
We saw big hashrate in last month in North America that was caused by extreme cold weather and some mining farms had to stop operating.
Foundry USA is holding first place with over 28% of hashrate, and Antpool is in second place like last time. with 19% hashrate.
F2Pool is third biggest pool at the moment with 15% hashrate, and Binance pool is below them in forth place with 9.39% hashrate.
ViaBTC is not falling far behind Binance pool and them we have other pools with significantly smaller hashrate.

legendary
i suggest for 2023, the OP stick to the same colour scheme/source via taking data and putting into his own chart tool to keep consistency should sources change their charts
so that people can easily reference his 'reports' and see, view, compare charts easily

I will think about introducing some changes but I can't promise to use my own tools and same colors all the time.
This takes a lot of precios time and I have only limited supply of that, just like bitcoin Smiley
I expect to see big changes in next report coming in few days, freezing temperatures in United States caused total bitcoin hashrate to drop by 40%, so much about global warming  Grin
https://decrypt.co/117916/bitcoin-hash-rate-suffers-near-40-drop-amid-u-s-deadly-winter-storm
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
for easy viewing purposes of the changes of the four quarters of 2022.. putting the end of quarter charts side by side:

march 2022
june 2022
september 2022
december 2022

now you can see how much things have changed over the last year easier
top 3 pools went from

start               end
   |           to    |
   \                 /

top  17.5%        26.07%
2nd 13.51%      20.85% \_ antpool and f2pool flip ranks
3rd  13.48         14.22% /

i suggest for 2023, the OP stick to the same colour scheme/source via taking data and putting into his own chart tool to keep consistency should sources change their charts
so that people can easily reference his 'reports' and see, view, compare charts easily
legendary
This is last month of this year and it's time to check the state of bitcoin mining pools.
Foundry USA is biggest pool with 26% of hashrate and similar like last month in second place is AntPool with almost 21% of hashrate.
F2Pool is in third place followed by Binance pool 12.8% and ViaBTC 8.29%, so this state is very similar like last month of November.
There is one Unknown pool with 2.84% of hashrate and many other smaller pools.

legendary
Month of November started and it's time to check the state of bitcoin mining pools, with hashrate being in all time high.
Foundry USA is slowly growing and now it takes 25% of total hashrate, that is few percents more than it had last monht.
AntPool is in second place and this pool is also significantly larger in this month with almoust 22% of hashrate, so first two pools combined currently have near 50% of bitcoin hashrate.
F2Pool is in third place like last month but with less than 14% of hashrate, followed by Binance pool with 11% and VIaBTC with around 8% of hashrate.
Rest of the pools are smaller but Mara pool jumped a lot and now they have around 2.7% of hashrate.

legendary
Month of October is already here and we are entering in final stages of this year 2022, with no significant changes in mining pools.
Foundry USA is holding first place strong with 22.74% of total hashrate that is slightly more than last month, and it is again followed by AntPool with 18.51% in second place.
F2Pool is in same third position like last month but now we have Binance pool back in top four position with 14.69% of hashrate.
ViaBTC is in fifth place and after that we have other smaller pools, and MARA pool is back again with 2.62% hashrate.

legendary
Centralization of BTC mining is now at it's worse level in years.
I am following state of mining pools since 2020 and I wouldn't agree with you on this.
Situation changed a lot after China introduced ban on bitcoin mining, but before most pools location was China.
Now we have biggest mining pool from United States and rest of them are distributed in different countries around the world, so it's impossible for three pools to come together.

A mere 3 people are now in charge of all of BTC security.   Roll Eyes
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Three pools is not equal three people, except maybe in your imagination.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Then why did the community freak out in 2014

Because while 1 pool operator can randomly become evil, the chance for more than one do that decreases by a huge degree?
Because maybe FUD was working better back then than now?
I don't know. But ask yourself: did that pool get evil and has done 51% attacks (and why not)?
Activity: 280
Merit: 30
What they can do is DOUBLESPEND!

And they are so stupid and malicious they will team up to destroy bitcoin - which now brings them nice money - instead of stay clean and keep earning... right?
It's funny to read that you tell others they're wrong, when you are the one decoupled from reality.

Then why did the community freak out in 2014, when only 1 pool had the power,
the same nonsense about how they keep earning , fall on deaf ears then.

But say 3 people would never collude to double spend.  
If your nonsense were truth why have separate pools , let's just have 1 big pool with 100%
so all miners get a chuck of every new BTC and every transaction fee,
but no that won't happen, because you are full of B.S.  Wink

Laughable ,  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
1 Pool operator might double spend, so no pool can have over 51% in 2014
3 Pool operators could collude with over 56% and double spend in 2022,
but since btc cult members don't understand the word collude, no worries.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Then why did the community freak out in 2014

Because while 1 pool operator can randomly become evil, the chance for more than one do that decreases by a huge degree?
Because maybe FUD was working better back then than now?
I don't know.

People Group together to rob people and business all of the time.
The truth is nothing is stopping those 3 mining pool operators from getting greedy an double-spending,
hell they may already be doing it and no one has caught them yet.
The reason the community freaked out in 2014, their were smarter people involved in crypto in those days,
now the IQ is much lower, mostly people so poor they are just willing to agree or say anything if they think it will improve their financial situation.
in 2014 , everyone knew :
Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts absolutely.
Now people want to pretend that can't happen, and it is never a question of if, but when.

My vacation is now over, so I shall leave you to spread your nonsense.
Good Luck in the Dark Winter, and the coming Hunger Games in 2023.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

And they are so stupid and malicious they will team up to destroy bitcoin - which now brings them nice money - instead of stay clean and keep earning... right?
It's funny to read that you tell others they're wrong, when you are the one decoupled from reality.

Requiring only a collusion of the top 3 mining pool operators to 51% attack btc.
Your last post show the top 3 mining pools with over 56% control.

i think you do not understand ...

And you would be wrong,

no matter how much energy is wasted, keep trusting 3 people, all they can do is destroy any credibility btc ever had,
in less than an hour.
 Smiley

Funny, how btc community freaking out about 1 mining pool
When GHash.io pool gained notoriety for briefly controlling more than 51% of bitcoin's computing power in 2014.
But just say 3 instead of one and the btc genius can't understand the word collusion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHash.io
51% attack controversy
Due to the popularity of GHash.io's mining pool, many people[who?] in the bitcoin community were worried about the possibility of a 51% attack.
This kind of attack occurs when a single miner or mining pool is able to mine multiple bitcoin block rewards in a row.
This would be a problem for the bitcoin network, because it hypothetically allows the mining pool to double-spend (counterfeit) bitcoins.
[2] In July 2014, the GHash.io mining pool briefly exceeded the 51% threshold, which forced the bitcoin community to discuss the possibility of finding a common solution to this threat.
[3][4] The pool developing the majority caused a prominent bitcoin developer Peter Todd to sell half of his holdings.

BTC cult member never let any security concern keep them from shoving their heads in the sand.

legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385

Requiring only a collusion of the top 3 mining pool operators to 51% attack btc.

i think you do not understand how mining works
nor how mining pools work.
nor how good pool management software works
more how good asic miner monitoring software works

even within 1 pool. its not just 1 guy.
there are multiple stratums. managed by a few guys
where they have thousands of users who can pool jump anytime they like if they see that the current pool is not playing by the rules.

even if 3 pools did manage to get all their stratum managers to collude.and all their users onboard and not jump.
all they can do is two things:
"empty block"
or
try to go back a few blocks. re-do a block with a different transaction list. and then catch up to re-org the blockchain to then change the confirmed transaction lists of the blocks they can manage to change.
the further back they go the longer it takes and more riskier it is to try to change and catch back up to achieve that goal. so its not worth it unless they are trying to double spend large transaction amounts they want to appear as unspend to then spend again later.

they are more profitable to gain by just following the good ethics of block mining rather then trying to re-org transactions.

and if pools did want to waste hours trying to reorg a few blocks
most miner owners can tell as they can see their asic isnt working on the current blockheight, so they would pool jump to a pool that is (no asic miner owner profit to work on old blocks for hours)

legendary
Month of September is here and I cam checking bitcoin mining pools again.
Foundry USA is still holding biggest share  of total hashrate with 21.49% but this month AntPool has very similar share with 20.39%.
F2Pool is just above 14% followed by Poolin and Binance pool with almost 10% of total hashrate and ViaBTC with 9.43%.
Rest of the pools are much smaller but I see Mara pool is back again with 1.32%

legendary
We are already in August and we can see nice increase from last month in Foundry USA pool that now has over 25% of total Bitcoin hashrate.
There is a change in second place with F2Pool having around 14% same like last month, but other pools now has smaller percentage share.
Antpool dropped to fourth place with 12% and Poolin is now third mining pool with almost 14% of hashrate.
Binance pool is o fifth place with more than 11% of hashrate with ViaBTC just behinf them havinbg 9% of hashare.
Other pools have significantly less shares, ULTIMUSPOOL is smallest registered pool and Mara pool is currently not detected.

I didn't notice much change between mempool and btc.com pie chart numbers, so from now on I am using only mempool space for graphics.

legendary
Month of July is here and it's time for one more lookup on bitcoin mining pools to see if there are any changes from last months.
FoundryUSA is still the biggest mining pool with just over 20% of total hashrate, but there is a switch in second place with Antpool climbing up with 15.27% of hashrate.
F2Pool is placed on third place but they have identical percentage with Binance pool, and Poolin is below them with almost 11% of hashrate, and ViaBTC is near them.
Terra Pool is smallest register pool with just 0.44% of hashrate and Mara pool is not register anywhere.

https://explorer.btc.com/btc/insights-pools

legendary
Month of June is here and I am inspecting state of bitcoin mining pools again, and from this month I will check one more website for pie charts so we could get more accurate results.
There is no big difference in this two websites and order of mining pools is very similar but we have two more pools in mempool space website.
Biggest mining pool is still Foundry USA with over 21% of total hashrate, and it is followed by ANtpool, F2Pool that switched places from last month, and Binance Pool that is currently holding fourth place.
ViaBTC and Pooling are last two bigger pools that are breathing behind Binance neck with around 10% of hashrate.
Smallest detected pool is ULTIMUSPOOL that has similar hashrate like Kucoin pool with around 0.2% of hashrate.

https://explorer.btc.com/btc/insights-pools

Pages:
Jump to: