Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin network passed 4000 Petaflops - page 3. (Read 4569 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 13, 2013, 12:56:56 AM
Flops (Floating Point Operations Per Second) do not apply to Bitcoin, Especially not since the advert of ASICs.

If you want to do a comparison do it with the estimated power consumption.

That's not a good comparison either, because btc mining gets more efficient. Mining power has gone up by a order of magnitude, but I bet actual electricity usage isn't substantially higher than a year ago.

That's not a good comparison either. I suggest counting the number of startups claiming to be building ASIC-based...  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
August 12, 2013, 11:22:29 PM
Flops (Floating Point Operations Per Second) do not apply to Bitcoin, Especially not since the advert of ASICs.

That's not a good comparison either, because btc mining gets more efficient. Mining power has gone up by a order of magnitude, but I bet actual electricity usage isn't substantially higher than a year ago.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
August 12, 2013, 03:42:07 PM

Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
August 12, 2013, 03:21:44 PM
Part of my job is training and Bitcoin, together with other payment methods, is one of the modules I teach. To explain how powerful the network is, I compare it with the most powerful supercomputer. The last time I updated that slide, 2-3 months ago, the Bitcoin network had a "calculating power" of 1700 Petaflops, while the fastest supercomputer (Tianhe-2) had (and still has) an average of..... 33 (http://www.top500.org/lists/2013/06/) !!
Tonight I checked it again (http://bitcoinwatch.com/) and found out it has grown to ... 4327 !! Yes, exactly 4327 to 33..  

Insane..

[edit] that's also a comparison I like to tell to people when I describe what bitcoins are!
Pages:
Jump to: