Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin privacy? - page 2. (Read 303 times)

legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
April 20, 2022, 02:22:24 AM
Why is it recommended to use a wallet like atomic wallet
Who has been recommending these things to you? Your other topic was strange like this one where you are talking about a very unpopular tool which I couldn't even find the source code of (only a github repository exists that doesn't have the source).
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270
April 20, 2022, 02:07:47 AM
Why is it recommended to use a wallet like atomic wallet that uses/connects to the Tor network?

Like I don't get it. If I send anonymous btc (mined, mixed, or xmr transfer) to a generic address I own. How would that mean anyone could know I own it? It's not like those btc addresses save IP addresses do they?

What am I missing?
It depends on your level of paranoia and what kind of activity you are involved in.
In practice, if you look at how well-known hackers and criminals were caught, then they were let down by boasting, a rich lifestyle, or their accomplices handed over information about them to the police.
It is easier to track financial transactions in banks than to look for the owner of the address in the blockchain.

legendary
Activity: 3402
Merit: 5004
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
April 20, 2022, 01:40:27 AM
Why is it recommended to use a wallet like atomic wallet that uses/connects to the Tor network?

Like I don't get it. If I send anonymous btc (mined, mixed, or xmr transfer) to a generic address I own. How would that mean anyone could know I own it? It's not like those btc addresses save IP addresses do they?

What am I missing?

No, your ip isn't saved on the blockchain.
If you use an SPV wallet (like electrum) without tor tough, you do connect to the electrum node to broadcast your transaction (and look up your balance). So the node operator could potentially log your actions.
When using an online wallet (not recommanded), it's even worse: they could potentially log every action.

And block explorers could also log which ip requested to look at which address/transaction.

But the biggest "problem" with your anonymity is that both buying and selling btc (or using btc to buy something) usually requires KYC. Now, if you mine BTC, or use a decent mixer, or switch chains to XMR (and back), and you don't post your address on a forum, and you don't look up your balance on an explorer, and you don't re-use your address, and you use a wallet over tor (or use a full node as a wallet), odds are small somebody will be able to identify you as long as you don't use your btc to buy something physical, or buy something in a store that requires KYC, or sell your btc on an exchange that requires KYC.
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
April 20, 2022, 01:35:40 AM
Why is it recommended to use a wallet like atomic wallet Edit: *Electrum* that uses/connects to the Tor network?

What am I missing?
Pages:
Jump to: