Author

Topic: Bitcoin puzzle transaction ~32 BTC prize to who solves it - page 263. (Read 192523 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
I see a pattern but I do not think it will help much.

My conjecture is that the sequence number (the BTC amount) simply states the number of random bits in the private key.

Check it out:

The 0.001 BTC output used a 1 bit key (already claimed obviously)

The 0.002 BTC output used a 2 bit key

The 0.003 BTC output used a 3 bit key

etc...

The 0.019 BTC output used a 19 bit key

So I would claim the next unclaimed output uses a 51 bit key.

Interesting.

Here's a thought.  What if that is the ONLY pattern.

Consider the possibility that the person that created this "puzzle" has done so as a form of "canary in the coal mine".

The idea would be to generate a bitcoin address completely randomly, but which only uses X bits of entropy.  Then progressively store large values of bitcoins for each increase in entropy to provide an incentive for someone to try and access it.

So:
  • The only possible address with 1 bit of entropy is the address associated with the private key having binary value 1
  • There are 3 possible addresses with 2 bits of entropy.  The addresses associated with the private keys having each of the following binary values (01, 10, 11), and one of them was chosen at random (11)
  • There are 7 possible addresses with 3 bits of entropy, The addresses associated with the private keys having each of the following values (001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110,  and 111), and one of them was chosen at random (111)
  • There are 15 possible addresses with 4 bits of entropy, and one of them was chosen at random (1000)
  • There are 31 possible addresses with 5 bits of entropy, and one of them was chosen at random (10101)
  • There are 63 possible addresses with 6 bits of entropy, and one of them was chosen at random (110001)
  • There are 127 possible addresses with 7 bits of entropy, and one of them was chosen at random (1001100)
  • and so on

By looking at which addresses have been "claimed", the creator of the "puzzle" can get a feel for the current security of version 1 bitcoin addresses.

So, if there are 50 addresses that have been "claimed", perhaps they'll avoid using any bitcoin address that has a private key with less than 51 binary digits for storing large amounts (actually, I'd probably go a bit higher than that just to be safe), and would have a feel for how secure addresses with 160 or more bits of entropy would be.

If that is what's going on here, then there may not be a "formula" or "pattern" that can be used.  To get the 51st address, you'd just have to brute force try all addresses associated with private keys between 1125899906842624 and 2251799813685248 (which is only about 1.126 X 1015 addresses).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
I would think the best way would be to modify (ocl)vanitygen according to BurtW's suggestion. You would need to limit the random number generator to a certain amount of bits and keep the rest.

That would be a start. Unfortunately I do not have the set of skills needed to do that, otherwise I'd start working right away Cheesy

I don't think brute force is going to solve this puzzle.

A GPU bot would increase the performance much higher but still we would be here forever trying it.

The only way to solve this efficiently is to try to find a mathematical formula to break the sequence.

If a formula is not found, I think this puzzle will be as unbreakable as bitcoin itself.

So that means that calculating this is just as difficult as calculating a private key for a given public address? I thought this followed a fixed pattern, since some of the solutions have already been posted by you. All that's left is applying whatever you used to reach those address values.

Assuming my pattern assumption is correct then the underlying sequence was masked off to create the private keys.

Now if the underlying sequence before masking came from a cryptographically secure random number generator there is no hope of predicting the 51st private key and brute force or random chance in 51 bits is the only chance.

However if the underlying sequence was mathematically generated then maybe the keys are predictable.

So how were the results on the OP reached? Simply luck?
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Assuming my pattern assumption is correct then the underlying sequence was masked off to create the private keys.

Now if the underlying sequence before masking came from a cryptographically secure random number generator there is no hope of predicting the 51st private key and brute force or random chance in 51 bits is the only chance.

However if the underlying sequence was mathematically generated then maybe the keys are predictable.
Activity: 169
Merit: 23
-snip-
Suggestions are always welcome.

The brute force way: Start @ ~607809 (multiplied the last known value by 1.7) convert to hex, create addresses, check if one address matches the next in turn.

What would be the best tool to attack this in a brute force way while we all think on something better or discover a easier way?

Some GPU bot would be the best to brute force it, like shorena was saying.

Need to code one, but I'm not in the mood now Smiley

Anyone out there doing it? Or maybe there is something existing?

I think the best existing tool currently is yours or otherwise private. I would think the best way would be to modify (ocl)vanitygen according to BurtW's suggestion. You would need to limit the random number generator to a certain amount of bits and keep the rest.

I don't think brute force is going to solve this puzzle.

A GPU bot would increase the performance much higher but still we would be here forever trying it.

The only way to solve this efficiently is to try to find a mathematical formula to break the sequence.

If a formula is not found, I think this puzzle will be as unbreakable as bitcoin itself.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
-snip-

The brute force way: Start @ ~607809 (multiplied the last known value by 1.7) convert to hex, create addresses, check if one address matches the next in turn.

What would be the best tool to attack this in a brute force way while we all think on something better or discover a easier way?

I think the best existing tool currently is yours or otherwise private. I would think the best way would be to modify (ocl)vanitygen according to BurtW's suggestion. You would need to limit the random number generator to a certain amount of bits and keep the rest.
legendary
Or maybe there is something existing?

That was the aim of my post, such a tool probably already exists.
-snip-

legendary
-snip-

copper member

My conjecture is that the sequence number (the BTC amount) simply states the number of random bits in the private key.

Check it out:

etc...

So, there is no pattern? Its just getting more and more difficult to find a solution? Might be time to get something written for GPUs.
legendary
BEFORE you comment on this thread

1) Carefully READ the thread
2) Think

Then please comment.

We don't need any off topic comments unrelated to the puzzle at hand.
copper member
-snip-

legendary

Check it out:

etc...

legendary
Looks tempting to crack Smiley

It does, but I still haven't understand the method/how does one go to attempt and find the solution to the puzzle Cheesy

One thing I noticed:

The first address in the transaction is tagged on blockchain.info with "1st Bitcoin Address Compressed".

So probably this transaction was done by the Bitcoin devs? or even... satoshi?

This hardly has anything to to with any of them.

looks really easy to crack

why would reward be so high

It's not easy, trust me.

But go ahead, maybe you can crack it.
The transactions seem to originate from address 173ujrhEVGqaZvPHXLqwXiSmPVMo225cqT  which had a Total received amount of   56,457.80848111 BTC and a Final Balance of    312.04932734 BTC

Definitely a very big player of some kind.

Well spotted.

Also it looks active, there are daily transactions there.

Probably some exchange?
Activity: 455
Merit: 251
The transactions seem to originate from address 173ujrhEVGqaZvPHXLqwXiSmPVMo225cqT  which had a Total received amount of   56,457.80848111 BTC and a Final Balance of    312.04932734 BTC

Definitely a very big player of some kind.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

Any info on who published this puzzle and what's their goal? Also, how would one go on about calculating those pvk decimal values and covert them to the private keys?

I don't know why but I'm smelling a big scam. Because a newbie that offer more than 12 000€ to solve a following of numbers this is strange...

The OP is not offering anything

I have no idea about who created this transactions, I was just playing around with the bot and stumbled upon it.

After reviewing a bunch of pvks found by the bot I noticed that many of the addresses were on the same transaction, after checking closely I found those kind of sequence patterns.

Looks tempting to crack Smiley

One thing I noticed:

The first address in the transaction is tagged on blockchain.info with "1st Bitcoin Address Compressed".

So probably this transaction was done by the Bitcoin devs? or even... satoshi?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004
Any info on who published this puzzle and what's their goal? Also, how would one go on about calculating those pvk decimal values and covert them to the private keys?

I don't know why but I'm smelling a big scam. Because a newbie that offer more than 12 000€ to solve a following of numbers this is strange...

The OP is not offering anything

Oh, in that case I'm sorry. I thought it was him who was offering this. So who's offering it ?
More details of the new values, including pvks and publics

Address 15:

KwDiBf89QgGbjEhKnhXJuH7LrciVrZi3qYjgd9M7rFY5iMZbuRxj
1QCbW9HWnwQWiQqVo5exhAnmfqKRrCRsvW
pvk decimal value: 26867
pvk hex value: 68F3

Address 16:

KwDiBf89QgGbjEhKnhXJuH7LrciVrZi3qYjgd9M7rFbjHrFMWzJp
1BDyrQ6WoF8VN3g9SAS1iKZcPzFfnDVieY
pvk decimal value: 51510