Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin-qt: Move Downloaded blockchain to another installation - page 2. (Read 14371 times)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500
^Bitcoin Library of Congress.
This is a newbie question...

I've installed bitcoin-qt and Armoury on on a PC. After ages, (more than 8 hours) the blockchain is still downloading. (Last received block generated 175 days ago).
Instead of going through the same rigmarole again on another PC, can I install bitcoin-qt, and move the files from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin to the new installation?

Which files do I need?
Are blk0001.dat, blk0002.dat and blkindex.dat enough? (I don't need to move my wallet.dat)

Can they just be "dropped into place", or is there a command line option I need to use to make it recognised?

Many Thanks!
Yes, blk0001.dat, blk0002.dat and blkindex.dat are enough. (Unless there is a new blk0003.dat then you need it to.)
Before moving any files start both the bitcoin-qt clients, go to options, and check the box which says detach database at shutdown.  Then close both clients. (Make sure they are closed in taskmanager.) then you are free to move the block chain files.

P.S. You can start the bitcoin clients with the command option -detachdb to accomplish the same thing as checking the box.
P.S. After the files are successfully imported you may want to deselect the detach database at shutdown to speed up the shut down of the bitcoin-qt clients.
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
Hi Akka,
Thanks for your help!
I'm using v0.7.2-beta... when did v0.8 come out?

Can I still transpant the files over to 0.8?

Kind Regards.

i have a 7z of 0.8 reorganization @ http://www.nogleg.com/archive/v0.8.0-Feb-11th/v0.8.0-Feb-11th.7z   goes up to block 220800 or so..  it isn't "pruned", so it's just as big as before, but in a diff format

and then you'd delete everything but bitcoin.conf & wallet.dat, then use that for 0.8 rc

aha
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1181
v0.8.0 is not released yet, there's only a release candidate.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

3 days ago, so it's brand new.

Kind Regards.

Yes and no, 0.8 needs to convert the files to the new format. If you are not finished downloading anyway, I would let it start new.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Hi Akka,
Thanks for your help!

Kind Regards.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
Yes, that are the files you need, just copying the should be sufficient. But as you are not finished yet anyway, I would suggest, that you upgrade to v0.8 instead.

This Version uses ultraprune and reduces the download time for the blockchain to a few hours.

The final version is not out yet, but you can download the release candidate here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-qt-bitcoind-version-080-release-candidate-1-142151
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
This is a newbie question...

I've installed bitcoin-qt and Armoury on on a PC. After ages, (more than 8 hours) the blockchain is still downloading. (Last received block generated 175 days ago).
Instead of going through the same rigmarole again on another PC, can I install bitcoin-qt, and move the files from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin to the new installation?

Which files do I need?
Are blk0001.dat, blk0002.dat and blkindex.dat enough? (I don't need to move my wallet.dat)

Can they just be "dropped into place", or is there a command line option I need to use to make it recognised?

Many Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: