Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, the future Bitcoin client GUI [user input needed] - page 14. (Read 57090 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
Progress: It now shows a progress bar on initial block chain download (one of my pet peeves)

I'm not sure what "qt thread" BlueMatt meant, or if this has to do anything with your version... Any hints?
Yup he means this thread. Basically, the bitcoin dev team first want to merge autoconf build system support then merge in this GUI.

Obviously, I also need to merge in autoconf before this can happen. qmake is pretty good and very clean/fast/easy to use but it doesn't really scale (for example, it cannot intelligently find the boost library filename -mt).

The Autoconf merge into bitcoin core is still held back by lack of windows/MacOSX testing (just like my GUI, really).

I have the qt sdk installed, i'll try to compile it on windows Smiley
That would be extremely cool. Let me know how it goes (either here on in a github issue).
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
There we go... I put my inkscape skills to the test Smiley

Nice clocks :-)

Quote from yesterday evening's irc.freenode.net #bitcoin-dev (CEST, UTC+02):
[00:04] BlueMatt: as soon as there's a qt GUI that has the same functionality and stability as the wx GUI I think we should switch.  What do you think?
[00:05] hm, Im not sure, I suppose I agree...but for now I think we are still in the "wweve got a long backlog of pulls to-be-pulled and need to decide which is higher priority as to in what 0.4.X version it gets pulled
[00:47] sipa: if you dont mind, could you respond to the qt thread for me and ask for more testing of autotools (my email is down atm...long story, dont ask)
[00:47] I think the people who really want to see qt merged will help test autotools first

I'm not sure what "qt thread" BlueMatt meant, or if this has to do anything with your version... Any hints?

Keep up the good work!

David
Activity: 938
Merit: 501
Thanks! Yes they're not super-pretty but at least they're better than my square placeholders Smiley

More ideas:
- Optional confirmation for large transactions (https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17149.0)

Another thing: I'd appreciate it if someone with windows downloaded the free Qt SDK (http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads) and try to compile this project. You can simply open the 'pro' file in Qt Creator that comes with the SDK. The biggest problem is probably the dependencies (openssl, berkelydb/dbcxx) though they likely exist for MinGW already somewhere.
I have the qt sdk installed, i'll try to compile it on windows Smiley
There we go... I put my inkscape skills to the test Smiley

Transaction status starts with a grey question mark (unconformed). After that, clocks (fill up and go from red to green) show how far the transaction is towards being confirmed. When confirmed it shows a tick.
I think I'm going to replace the clock icons; In practice (yes, I eat my own dog food) I've noticed that it would be handy if they would tell how far the confirmation is (in the range of 1 to 5 confirms), when you're waiting for it. 

Hm so I'd need multiple icons, maybe a clock that fills up, or a progress bar. Time to experiment Smiley

IMO it looks pretty good with md2k7's icons. I've also tried with gnome's lock/protection icons, but they look out of place somehow and are too similar to each other. These icons at least are easy to distinguish in a quick glance.

Maybe you should better use the icons supplied with the system or desktop. I think Qt has a method to get a system icon from the iconset user has.
For GNOME, you could use the stock_lock-broken, stock_lock and stock_lock-ok. Or the generic "error", "warning" and "OK" icons.
Thanks for the suggestion,

I'm thinking about that, yes. That's the QIcon::fromTheme method. It has advantages to use the system theme icons, but also drawbacks. Ie, if Bitcoin looks different everywhere, hard to make documentation.

Also, for Mac and Windows we'll need built-in icons to fall back on.

Which is why I'd really love to be able to load the wallet.dat into gnucash or the KDE equivalent (can't remember).
You mean something like "Export to CSV"? Or do they have some specific format? Would indeed be useful...
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
Anyone who opposes FOSS shall be destroyed!
Maybe you should better use the icons supplied with the system or desktop. I think Qt has a method to get a system icon from the iconset user has.
For GNOME, you could use the stock_lock-broken, stock_lock and stock_lock-ok. Or the generic "error", "warning" and "OK" icons.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
After getting rid of the 'Status' column it looks like this:

More ideas:

- I've always wondered why Bitcoin has separate Credit and Debit columns. Why not one "amount" column? Is this really more clear?

Which is why I'd really love to be able to load the wallet.dat into gnucash or the KDE equivalent (can't remember).
Thanks! Yes they're not super-pretty but at least they're better than my square placeholders Smiley

More ideas:
- Optional confirmation for large transactions (https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17149.0)

Another thing: I'd appreciate it if someone with windows downloaded the free Qt SDK (http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads) and try to compile this project. You can simply open the 'pro' file in Qt Creator that comes with the SDK. The biggest problem is probably the dependencies (openssl, berkelydb/dbcxx) though they likely exist for MinGW already somewhere.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
I've made some 16x16 icons. Don't blame me if they are ugly, I usually code and don't design stuff. Try to make or google something better, while the latter option has some license fun included for sure.

Pending (0 confirmations): http://www.abanbytes.eu/files/btc/pending.png
Unconfirmed: http://www.abanbytes.eu/files/btc/unconfirmed.png
Confirmed: http://www.abanbytes.eu/files/btc/confirmed.png

License: You are free to do with these icons as you wish, including selling, copying, modifying etc.

Yours
David
Yes that's a problem if color is the only clue. But not if it is used as an extra signal. For example, when negative amounts are in red as well as have a minus.

The blue/green/grey squares are only placeholders until I or someone else comes up with nice status icons.

Whoa, connection meter has been added,

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
- I've always wondered why Bitcoin has separate Credit and Debit columns. Why not one "amount" column? Is this really more clear?
It's interesting to be able to instantly detect the debits from the credits.
If merged in the same column, I think it would be important to still be able to visually differentiate them at a glance, (not just with the +/- sign). Maybe colors, or pictograms.
After getting rid of the 'Status' column it looks like this:

More ideas:

- Description is now one blob of text. In general it could be split up into "Type" and "Address".

- Add connection status icon to status bar ("disconnected" for 0 connections, "connected" for 1+ connection, "good" for 5+ connections)
Looks good. Oh, I've been meaning to ask, why have "All transactions" and "Sent/Received" aren't they the same? It's late so I MUST be missing something. LOL. Is it generated coins?
"Sent/Received" includes generated transactions as well. Apart from that, they're indeed the same. Maybe it'd be less confusing to just regard generated transactions as received coins (received from the system) for interface purposes.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof
Looks good. Oh, I've been meaning to ask, why have "All transactions" and "Sent/Received" aren't they the same? It's late so I MUST be missing something. LOL. Is it generated coins?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
I have reorganized the status column. The colors should be icons, but you get the idea:

I'm thinking of nuking the text in the status column completely [and merging the status icon into Date].

It shows a lot of repetitive text and only the "color" really matters for a quick glance. When is it interesting whether a transaction has 20 or 30 confirms? The detailed information can be provided in a tool tip, or when the user double-clicks on the transaction.

Let me know what you think.

Yes I think too. Simple is good.
I have reorganized the status column. The colors should be icons, but you get the idea:

I'm thinking of nuking the text in the status column completely [and merging the status icon into Date].

It shows a lot of repetitive text and only the "color" really matters for a quick glance. When is it interesting whether a transaction has 20 or 30 confirms? The detailed information can be provided in a tool tip, or when the user double-clicks on the transaction.

Let me know what you think.
Great. Consider improving the UI flows whilst you're at it. The address book UI isn't well thought out currently because there's no way to add people and addresses simultaneously. If you want to have a readable transaction log you have to go into the address book, add an address, then go into payments, pick them from the address book and pay. It could be all one step.
Hm yes it is currently:
- Click "Send Coins"
- Click "Address Book..."
- Click "New address"
- Type the label and address
- Click "Ok" (or press enter)
- Double-click the new address
- Enter amount
- Send

Could be replaced with:
- Click "Send Coins"
- Enter address
- Check "Add to address book as ...". The "..." field becomes editable.
- Enter label
- Enter amount
- Send

At least at my bank it works like that. What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: