Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.7.0 released - page 3. (Read 25323 times)

Activity: 304
Merit: 250
September 19, 2012, 01:11:38 PM
That last question was asking who built the previous, working version?  Who built 0.6.3?  Gavin, you, or other?
Ah. 0.6.3 was the build from bitcoin.org too.
donator
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
YOU WIN . WE PAY
September 19, 2012, 01:09:48 PM
We updated today from 6020 to 70003 all went smooth, thank you very much!

One thing we can't figure out. Why bitcoind API can't return the senders address from a transaction?

We are still using third parties for this operation which is far from optimal. I believe that lot of others have the same needs as I read in other posts.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
September 19, 2012, 01:05:44 PM
hmmm, it sounds like there may be an OSX-specific problem.

What is the previous known working version?

Was that an official OSX build from Gavin, your own build, or a third party build?

Thanks.
0.6.3 also works fine here.

0.7 was the official build from bitcoin.org.

That last question was asking who built the previous, working version?  Who built 0.6.3?  Gavin, you, or other?

Activity: 304
September 19, 2012, 09:30:47 AM

Was that an official OSX build from Gavin, your own build, or a third party build?

Thanks.
0.6.3 also works fine here.

0.7 was the official build from bitcoin.org.
Activity: 250
September 19, 2012, 04:53:21 AM
A sincere "Thank you!" to all the developers.
vip
Activity: 302
Merit: 253
September 19, 2012, 01:37:36 AM
First, thank you!

Second, if it's not too much trouble:  two datetime columns on address Book would be great:  created, last txn
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
September 19, 2012, 12:51:02 AM
I'd like to request people using bitcoind to NOT upgrade and force the devs to deal with changes properly.

These 2 changes above are ridiculous.
Can we expect the next version of bitcoin to remove other things that people are using and simply say - bad luck - see you later?
Have any of the bitcoin devs ever worked in a real production environment?
This sort of change suggests the answer to that question is 'no'.

We already had a nightmare of problems back in April due to not dealing with change properly, why are we still seeing this lack of proper procedure here with this 0.7.0 release?
This is a major version update, so things like this can be expected. Even if they had left those features in, the upgrade still might not be seamless for business users. If you don't want to update immediately to the new version, old versions still receive bugfix-only updates for about 1 year or so.

0.6.4 is currently being tested here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/please-help-test-bitcoin-stable-maintenance-versions-064rc3-etc-110231
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
September 19, 2012, 12:05:43 AM
0.7 quits unexpectedly immediately after launch on my OSX 10.5.8.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Yes, that's what I'm seeing.

Could be, hopefully Gavin will find something useful in my debug.log file.  Wink

0.6.3, which is running right now.

It was the official release.
legendary
September 18, 2012, 10:59:28 PM

Thanks.

legendary
September 18, 2012, 10:57:19 PM
. . . a real production environment . . . this 0.7.0 release?
From everything I've seen the bitcoin client has always appeared to me to be in Beta.

Correct.

And beyond that, the RPC API has never had the same ironclad backwards-compat guarantees that the blockchain and P2P network have.  From satoshi's time to present, RPC calls have been considered an internal control plane.  Compatibility with existing use cases is very important, even with RPC API, but sometimes there are exceptions:  deprecated, unused APIs; APIs where we've discussed and planned for changes ahead of time, etc.

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
September 18, 2012, 10:52:25 PM
From everything I've seen the bitcoin client has always appeared to me to be in Beta.
Are you insinuating we shouldn't use beta software to do real work?  Shocked

Wink
Nah, just that I don't expect beta software to be maintained with the same attention to backward compatibility as I would expect of work done in a production environment.
Clearly it isn't, I'll agree with you on that Smiley
legendary
September 18, 2012, 10:51:23 PM
gavin any chance of seeing big endian/little endian compatibility someday?

For the main client it is low priority.

But in a blatant plug... https://github.com/jgarzik/pynode does support big + little endian out of the box.

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
September 18, 2012, 10:13:39 PM
Are you insinuating we shouldn't use beta software to do real work?  Shocked

Wink
Nah, just that I don't expect beta software to be maintained with the same attention to backward compatibility as I would expect of work done in a production environment.  If I'm going to use beta software in my own production environment, then I'm going to expect to have to do some work on my end to keep up with the newest releases.

So - since the software is in beta the changes done shouldn't be treated appropriately? ...

And ... yes your quote is trying to create a link between 2 things I said that were not linked at all ...
I used ellipsis to show that content had been removed from the original and left the link there so that anybody who wants to can see the context. Not trying to hide anything.

How were they not linked?  You asked if the bitcoin devs had ever worked in a production environment and then complained about the way they were handling 0.7.0 which is a beta release.

Feel free to create competing software.  It is open source after all, and the protocol is public knowledge.  If you can provide a better product and do a better job of treating changes properly, then yours will likely become the new standard.
September 18, 2012, 09:49:22 PM

September 18, 2012, 09:37:01 PM
The Mac version crashes on launch on my Leopard box, so I guess I'll wait for 0.7.1 and see what happens.
legendary
September 18, 2012, 09:27:08 PM
So - since the software is in beta the changes done shouldn't be treated appropriately? ...

And ... yes your quote is trying to create a link between 2 things I said that were not linked at all ...
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
September 18, 2012, 09:24:49 PM

Are you insinuating we shouldn't use beta software to do real work?  Shocked

Wink
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
September 18, 2012, 09:13:29 PM
legendary
September 18, 2012, 09:07:45 PM
Bitcoin version 0.7.0 is now available for download at:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.7.0/

We recommend that everybody running prior versions of bitcoind/Bitcoin-Qt
upgrade to this release.

JSON-RPC API

* Remove deprecated RPC 'getblocknumber'
* Remove superceded RPC 'getmemorypool' (see BIP 22, above)

I'd like to request people using bitcoind to NOT upgrade and force the devs to deal with changes properly.

These 2 changes above are ridiculous.
Can we expect the next version of bitcoin to remove other things that people are using and simply say - bad luck - see you later?
Have any of the bitcoin devs ever worked in a real production environment?
This sort of change suggests the answer to that question is 'no'.

We already had a nightmare of problems back in April due to not dealing with change properly, why are we still seeing this lack of proper procedure here with this 0.7.0 release?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
September 18, 2012, 08:41:46 PM
Anybody got a plain English explanation?
Pages:
Jump to: