Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.8.1 available - page 2. (Read 12509 times)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Help!!!

I am using Multibit. Do i need to move my bitcoins to another wallet? for example, Blockchain or Bitcoin-Qt 0.8? I am not mining
Activity: 138
Merit: 11
Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
hopefully the PPA gets updated faster than last time, it was three days after the release before us linux guys got it.

Who maintains this PPA anyway? Is there a way we can verify the .debs from the normal packages just to be 100% safe?

Is it possible to run the linux bitcoin client 100% portably off a flash drive?

Unless bitcoin.org has been comprismised, we're fine since they advertise the PPA.

Bluematt does, he's a contributed a lot to bitcoin development.

Should be possible to run of a flash drive, IDK why you would though.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
upgraded from 0.8 - had to reindex the blockchain for a 2nd time - but i'll do whatever needs to be done
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
Just installed 0.81.

Small issue:
Under help->about bitcoin it still says version 0.8.0-beta ?

Even if it does, you're still OK.  0.8.0 or better is fine.

The only people that 0.8.0 vs 0.8.1 makes a difference for are the large mining pool operators (not the members) or large solo miners.  Those folks already have it under control.
legendary
Activity: 945
Merit: 1003
Just installed 0.81.

Small issue:
Under help->about bitcoin it still says version 0.8.0-beta ?
Activity: 12
0.8.1 is there but SF still claims 0.8.0 is the latest version.
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
hopefully the PPA gets updated faster than last time, it was three days after the release before us linux guys got it.

Who maintains this PPA anyway? Is there a way we can verify the .debs from the normal packages just to be 100% safe?

Is it possible to run the linux bitcoin client 100% portably off a flash drive?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
I'd like to update, but for me the coincontrol version has become an essential feature for a better control of privacy.
So I'm stuck with the DB_CONFIG workaround until this feature gets picked up by the devs Sad

Raw transactions can do everything coin control can, just make sure you include your change as an output.
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
Firstbits: 19e3fc

Archlinux here. Latest bitcoin ver is 0.8.1 here.
Don't forget that entire linux world doesn't stop on debs with debian/ubuntu/mint and so on. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
Many thanks for your diligence. Some in userspace tend to forget that would be no Bitcoin but for the efforts and cooperation of the development and mining communities.

Agreed. Fast work and much more helpful than the "contributions" made by the authors of the anti-dev threads.
legendary
Activity: 1764
I'd like to update, but for me the coincontrol version has become an essential feature for a better control of privacy.
So I'm stuck with the DB_CONFIG workaround until this feature gets picked up by the devs Sad

Armory will allow this and can be integrated with 0.8.1
Activity: 576
Merit: 514
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Many thanks for your diligence. Some in userspace tend to forget that would be no Bitcoin but for the efforts and cooperation of the development and mining communities.
Activity: 138
Merit: 11
Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Thanks for the continued hard work  Grin
legendary
this is very well played Gavin.  its time to get everyone off BDB due to its bugginess.  we'll all be better off on Level DB.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
for those of us already on 0.8 who mine but don't tweak around with tx construction, do we need to upgrade?
No; the only 0.8 users who should upgrade are miners who are creating blocks themselves (mining pool operators, solo miners, or people using p2pool).

Big merchants/services/exchanges who want to be as certain as possible they don't end up on the wrong side of a blockchain fork should also upgrade, although I think the risk of that happening if they keep running 0.8.0 is small.
Activity: 26
for those of us already on 0.8 who mine but don't tweak around with tx construction, do we need to upgrade?

This.

For those of us who run full 0.8.0 nodes, who either don't mine or only pool mine, is 0.8.1 a necessary step up, and if so why? And .. if not can we get an official blessing for our laziness? ;3
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.8.1 is now available from:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.1/

This is a maintenance release that adds a new network rule to avoid
a chain-forking incompatibility with versions 0.7.2 and earlier.

Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

How to Upgrade
--------------

If you are running an older version, shut it down. Wait
until it has completely shut down (which might take a few minutes for older
versions), then run the installer (on Windows) or just copy over
/Applications/Bitcoin-Qt (on Mac) or bitcoind/bitcoin-qt (on Linux).

If you are upgrading from version 0.7.2 or earlier, the first time you
run 0.8.1 your blockchain files will be re-indexed, which will take
anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the speed of
your machine.
Pages:
Jump to: