Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Question.. I'm new here - page 2. (Read 2017 times)

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
January 25, 2017, 12:23:11 AM
thanks I like to keep my stuff private thats why I ask
If you want to stay private (or even if you don't, for that matter), do not use coinbase or blockchain for your transactions or storage.
They are virtual banks, they give you an account, but don't give you private keys, they control the coins.
They can impose spend limits, freeze your account, or even confiscate your balance.
They also ask for your ID, so you can't be anonymous, and all your transactions are tied to your name.
Use mobile or desktop wallet for transactions (e.g. Electrum, Mycelium), and paper wallets for storage.
If you don't want Big Brother to trace you, use a mix before sending to your wallet.
If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have bitcoin.

I want to make a comment about your post. Coinbase has the reputation of freezing accounts, blockchain.io is more like an HD wallet on the web. You can load your blockchain wallet using Electrum or MultibitHD by inputting your secret seed words as far as I know. The site itself does not control your coins. Please do not lump Coinbase and blockchain.io as the same type of service.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
January 25, 2017, 12:16:27 AM
Hi guys, I read good things about this place so I thought I would join, question.... say I buy bitcoins from Coinbase and send it too my blockchain wallet... can coinbase find out who I sent my bitcoin to once it's in my blockchain wallet. do they have access to that or only access to where I sent it from if its coming from coinbase? thanks I like to keep my stuff private thats why I ask
Do you mean that if you buy a bitcoin from coinbase then send it blockchain. If you send the bitcoin to the other bitcoin address, the sender are no longer access the bitcoin that he sent. Only the receiver can access the bitcoin, control it and manage once he received it.

ya pretty much like im gonna buy off coinbase, send it to my blockchain wallet, then from blockchain send it elsewhere, I know that coinbase can find out where u sent your original bitcoins but can they find out from blockchain and where u send it to what if they looked up the old address
Activity: 560
Merit: 502
January 24, 2017, 11:59:39 PM
If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have bitcoin.
I thought that blockchain.info let you copy your private keys and export it to another wallet. At least that was the case when they were using non-HD framework.
This is not possible anymore with their new HD wallet?

yobit is a good site? can i deposit in canadian currency using visa if so whats the fee
If you want to trade altcoins better use Poloniex.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 356
January 24, 2017, 11:58:46 PM
Hi guys, I read good things about this place so I thought I would join, question.... say I buy bitcoins from Coinbase and send it too my blockchain wallet... can coinbase find out who I sent my bitcoin to once it's in my blockchain wallet. do they have access to that or only access to where I sent it from if its coming from coinbase? thanks I like to keep my stuff private thats why I ask
Do you mean that if you buy a bitcoin from coinbase then send it blockchain. If you send the bitcoin to the other bitcoin address, the sender are no longer access the bitcoin that he sent. Only the receiver can access the bitcoin, control it and manage once he received it.
January 24, 2017, 11:55:21 PM
There is no problem with somebody knowing whom you sent your bitcoins if you are not doing any illicit activities then you should not be afraid of something. Anyway the person whom you sent your bitcoins will not be known except if somebody knows your bitcoin address and the owner of the address or the receiver. BUt if no one knows that information then nobody can know whom you sent your bitcoins since what will appear on blockchain is the transaction and the bitcoin address only.

yobit is a good site? can i deposit in canadian currency using visa if so whats the fee
Activity: 994
Merit: 544
January 24, 2017, 11:46:16 PM
There is no problem with somebody knowing whom you sent your bitcoins if you are not doing any illicit activities then you should not be afraid of something. Anyway the person whom you sent your bitcoins will not be known except if somebody knows your bitcoin address and the owner of the address or the receiver. BUt if no one knows that information then nobody can know whom you sent your bitcoins since what will appear on blockchain is the transaction and the bitcoin address only.
January 24, 2017, 11:45:40 PM

Welcome to the bitcoin world Cheesy As for your question, coinbase has no connection with blockchain. They are both online wallet provider. Therefore, they cannot trace the bitcoin addresses that you had a transactions with once it came from blockchain already. They will only know the blockchain address where you sent your bitcoin from coinbase.

So to confirm, say right now I deposit on coinbase or Gemini, and I send this to my blockchain wallet.. okay so now I got Bitcoins in my blockchain wallet..if i send that to a different address can gemini or coinbase find out the address that i sent it to? or only they can find out the one from coinbase to blockchain.. thanks

No worries. You are right. Coinbase will have no access to check where you will send your bitcoin once it is already in blockchain walle. They can only find out the one you sent from your coinbase wallet to blockchain wallet. Hope that this will help you. If you still have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. People on this forum are very accommodating Wink

With all due respect how sure are you of this, is there an article or anything I can read, I just live a very private life.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
BitcoreService.com
January 24, 2017, 11:39:56 PM
If you want to stay private (or even if you don't, for that matter), do not use coinbase or blockchain for your transactions or storage.
They are virtual banks, they give you an account, but don't give you private keys, they control the coins.
They can impose spend limits, freeze your account, or even confiscate your balance.
They also ask for your ID, so you can't be anonymous, and all your transactions are tied to your name.
Use mobile or desktop wallet for transactions (e.g. Electrum, Mycelium), and paper wallets for storage.
If you don't want Big Brother to trace you, use a mix before sending to your wallet.

i think tracking who sender bitcoin, and who the receive bitcoin is not easy as you think, im using xapo bitcoin wallet , of course i can't control my bitcoin, but it's not easy to someone track my Tx. the address of bitcoin can't give you more information like ip address, who am i etc.

Roll Eyes

for truly untracable transaction, im recomended to using Zcash shielded transaction no people can trace where you get your zcash and where you send your zcash
January 24, 2017, 11:34:37 PM

If I send from Electrum or Mycelium   can it be traced?  and out of the two which is more preferable
January 24, 2017, 11:28:05 PM

Welcome to the bitcoin world Cheesy As for your question, coinbase has no connection with blockchain. They are both online wallet provider. Therefore, they cannot trace the bitcoin addresses that you had a transactions with once it came from blockchain already. They will only know the blockchain address where you sent your bitcoin from coinbase.

So to confirm, say right now I deposit on coinbase or Gemini, and I send this to my blockchain wallet.. okay so now I got Bitcoins in my blockchain wallet..if i send that to a different address can gemini or coinbase find out the address that i sent it to? or only they can find out the one from coinbase to blockchain.. thanks
Activity: 224
Merit: 117
▲ Portable backup power source for mining.
January 24, 2017, 11:23:25 PM
January 24, 2017, 11:09:29 PM
Pages:
Jump to: