Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin "reserve" currency - page 2. (Read 2317 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
May 21, 2013, 08:40:00 PM
In the world of fiat, the US Dollar is the world reserve currency.  If you were to pick a reserve currency for the bitcoin, which would you pick?  Obviously, the ideal would be to not need one, but if we get to that state of the economy, it will be many years from now.

My vote would go to the Icelandic krona since Iceland seems fairly anti-banking as a country.

I'm not sure your question makes sense.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_currency
A reserve currency, or anchor currency, is a currency that is held in significant quantities by many governments and institutions as part of their foreign exchange reserves.

It might make sense for bitcoin to BE a reserve currency, but it doesn't make sense for it to HAVE a reserve currency since it is neither a government nor an institution.

Right, I clearly need to explain myself better in these forums.

I meant it in a somewhat different term than the traditional use the term reserve currency since you're right, the term doesn't make sense for bitcoins.  But in most places, you can't pay all your bills with bitcoins, so what I meant was if you had to pick a currency to choose as a preferred currency to exchange from bitcoins -> fiat, which would you prefer? 
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
May 21, 2013, 08:33:08 PM
In the world of fiat, the US Dollar is the world reserve currency.  If you were to pick a reserve currency for the bitcoin, which would you pick?  Obviously, the ideal would be to not need one, but if we get to that state of the economy, it will be many years from now.

My vote would go to the Icelandic krona since Iceland seems fairly anti-banking as a country.

I'm not sure your question makes sense.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_currency
A reserve currency, or anchor currency, is a currency that is held in significant quantities by many governments and institutions as part of their foreign exchange reserves.

It might make sense for bitcoin to BE a reserve currency, but it doesn't make sense for it to HAVE a reserve currency since it is neither a government nor an institution.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
May 21, 2013, 08:30:19 PM
In the world of fiat, the US Dollar is the world reserve currency.  If you were to pick a reserve currency for the bitcoin, which would you pick?  Obviously, the ideal would be to not need one, but if we get to that state of the economy, it will be many years from now.

Edit: There's been a bit of confusion of what I meant by reserve currency, which is probably my fault for using the term in a way that it's not typically used.  What I meant by bitcoin reserve currency, is which fiat currency would you pick to cash out bitcoins for if you had to pick just one?
Pages:
Jump to: