Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin RPM packages for Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux - page 3. (Read 31399 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Huh. I don't think notifications are working because I didn't get any.

Anyway the GUI shouldn't be prompting you to create /var/lib/bitcoin, it should be $HOME/.bitcoin instead, so I think that's a bug. I'll take a look at that this evening. /var/lib/bitcoin is meant to be used by the server.

Yes, I've set ~/.bitcoin for the datadir. bitcoind still wants to use /var/lib/bitcoin even once bitcoin-qt has set datadir to ~/.bitcoin, and Armory reports stderr output from bitcoind that bitcoin.conf should be created at /var/lib/bitcoin/ with RPC user and password set. So I'm currently using Armory with bitcoin-qt to serve the blocks to it, instead of Armory launching bitcoind itself from /usr/sbin.

What's the purpose of /etc/bitcoin and /var/lib/bitcoin? bitcoind wallet in one and block data in the other?

The (no-GUI) server uses these directories so that SELinux policies can be applied to restrict access to the Bitcoin configuration and wallet in server scenarios. This can't be done effectively if Bitcoin's data is in a user home directory.

Anyway I found the bug (it was something really obvious and stupid) and I'm rebuilding Bitcoin now. Though it will take a couple of hours before all the builds finish.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

Anyway the GUI shouldn't be prompting you to create /var/lib/bitcoin, it should be $HOME/.bitcoin instead, so I think that's a bug. I'll take a look at that this evening. /var/lib/bitcoin is meant to be used by the server.

Yes, I've set ~/.bitcoin for the datadir. bitcoind still wants to use /var/lib/bitcoin even once bitcoin-qt has set datadir to ~/.bitcoin, and Armory reports stderr output from bitcoind that bitcoin.conf should be created at /var/lib/bitcoin/ with RPC user and password set. So I'm currently using Armory with bitcoin-qt to serve the blocks to it, instead of Armory launching bitcoind itself from /usr/sbin.

What's the purpose of /etc/bitcoin and /var/lib/bitcoin? bitcoind wallet in one and block data in the other?

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
I think it wants /var/lib/bitcoin/username

where username is your user and owned by your user.

I moved mine to /misc/bitcoin/username because I didn't want it on /var (/misc is a mount point I created for an additional drive) - I'm out of town until August so I can't look at my config unfortunately.
legendary
Tried creating /var/lib/bitcoin as root before launching Bitcoin from the App Menu, here is the encouraging result:

Runaway exception

Exception: N5boot12interprocess22interprocess_exceptionE
No such file or directory
legendary
I see your problem.

You installed the RHEL/CentOS repo file instead of the fedora - so it is looking for el20 (enterprise linux 20) which doesn't exist.

Install the fedora repo file and it should work.

Legendary. Did the names of the failed dependencies give it away? Thanks for the help  Smiley

Still issues though. An error is thrown complaining that /var/lib/bitcoin cannot be created as the datadir. Running it from the commmand line as root has a different issue, it doesn't write the blocks it downloads to disk, and then refuses to shutdown. /var/lib/bitcoin doesn't get created, but /etc/bitcoin does.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
I see your problem.

You installed the RHEL/CentOS repo file instead of the fedora - so it is looking for el20 (enterprise linux 20) which doesn't exist.

Install the fedora repo file and it should work.
legendary
Well, the supposedly failed dependencies are present in /usr/lib/, and it's difficult to see how they're the wrong libraries, as the filenames are identical to those in the error output from rpm. Very mysterious.

It seems like whenever I try to use Fedora, there's always some teeth pulling job with a sparsely documented or plain cryptic solution!
legendary
Getting this error when trying "sudo yum install bitcoin"

Code:
http://linux.ringingliberty.com/bitcoin/el20/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found

It seems the repo isn't where it's expected to be on the ringingliberty.com server.

Manually installing "bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm" is a problem also, I'm getting:

Code:
error: Failed dependencies:
libboost_chrono.so.1.54.0()(64bit) is needed by bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64
libboost_filesystem.so.1.54.0()(64bit) is needed by bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64
libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0()(64bit) is needed by bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64
libboost_thread.so.1.54.0()(64bit) is needed by bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64
libdb_cxx-4.8.so()(64bit) is needed by bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64
libminiupnpc.so.10()(64bit) is needed by bitcoin-0.9.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64

Which is strange, as I've already used yum to install those packages...

Code:
Installing : boost-program-options-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                 1/6
  Installing : boost-thread-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                          2/6
  Installing : boost-chrono-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                          3/6
  Installing : libdb4-cxx-4.8.30-11.fc20.i686                                                                           4/6
  Installing : boost-filesystem-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                      5/6
  Installing : miniupnpc-1.9-1.fc20.i686                                                                                6/6
Running post transaction command: /usr/lib/qubes/qubes-trigger-sync-appmenus.sh
  Verifying  : miniupnpc-1.9-1.fc20.i686                                                                                1/6
  Verifying  : boost-filesystem-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                      2/6
  Verifying  : libdb4-cxx-4.8.30-11.fc20.i686                                                                           3/6
  Verifying  : boost-chrono-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                          4/6
  Verifying  : boost-thread-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686                                                                          5/6
  Verifying  : boost-program-options-1.54.0-9.fc20.i686

...which is making me think I've somehow got the wrong packages.

Has anyone else figured this one out? I'm a little stumped where I am now  Embarrassed
We are now providing Bitcoin packages for RHEL 7, which was made generally available today.
Several OpenSSL-related security issues were announced today, some of which impact Bitcoin. OpenSSL in the repo has been updated. Please update and then restart bitcoind/bitcoin-qt to apply the updates.
Bitcoin 0.9.0 is now available in the repos. Sorry for the delay; this was a very large change and I had to spend extra time testing it and working out issues related to the large code refactoring that took place between 0.8.6 and 0.9.0.
staff
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382
Interesting, how are the Bitcoin devs going to get around the ECDSA patent shit-fight that is causing all these problems in RH-derivative OpenSSL anyway?
The patent situation for ECC is highly over hyped. Mostly it's just optimizations which are patented (and mostly for characteristic 2 curves). In my prior review, it looked like what we were doing was fine.  There is also a lot of ecc patents expiring this year and next, further solidifying the situation.
As an aside, Error, can you please sign the 179A 8CC0 90B4 95B2 4620  E172 FC6E 7E4E A436 0C84 key with your Bitcoin-OTC key 0ca1a03280f9711ca0c72356920290120a0aac5c?

I've placed this up on the web site. I'll be adding it to the bitcoin-release packages in the next build in a day or so.

Hopefully I won't have to maintain these repos too much longer. The Bitcoin developers and several interested parties are now working on getting Bitcoin added directly into Fedora; once that's done, one of us will put it in EPEL, and then this repo will no longer be necessary. This process may take a few months though.

Interesting, how are the Bitcoin devs going to get around the ECDSA patent shit-fight that is causing all these problems in RH-derivative OpenSSL anyway?

Did anyone ever get to bottom of why Fedora is refusing to address the ECC in OpenSSL discussion, let alone get close to resolving it?

It is resolved. Red Hat will be shipping ECC enabled OpenSSL beginning with RHEL 6.5 and Fedora 20. I've already built a test Bitcoin on Fedora 20 alpha and it performs flawlessly on testnet.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
As an aside, Error, can you please sign the 179A 8CC0 90B4 95B2 4620  E172 FC6E 7E4E A436 0C84 key with your Bitcoin-OTC key 0ca1a03280f9711ca0c72356920290120a0aac5c?

I've placed this up on the web site. I'll be adding it to the bitcoin-release packages in the next build in a day or so.

Hopefully I won't have to maintain these repos too much longer. The Bitcoin developers and several interested parties are now working on getting Bitcoin added directly into Fedora; once that's done, one of us will put it in EPEL, and then this repo will no longer be necessary. This process may take a few months though.

Did anyone ever get to bottom of why Fedora is refusing to address the ECC in OpenSSL discussion, let alone get close to resolving it?
As an aside, Error, can you please sign the 179A 8CC0 90B4 95B2 4620  E172 FC6E 7E4E A436 0C84 key with your Bitcoin-OTC key 0ca1a03280f9711ca0c72356920290120a0aac5c?

And for some reason the forum wasn't emailing me about this thread even though I supposedly am watching it. Sorry for the delayed responses.
Updated bitcoin and bitcoin-server packages are now available which address the following issues:

* Wrapper scripts which were previously provided upstream have been removed, and bitcoind and bitcoin-qt are now executed directly.
* The wrapper script which started bitcoind generated an insecure rpcpassword in /etc/bitcoin/bitcoin.conf. The password was generated with an insecure RNG and can be trivially brute-forced. Users who installed the bitcoin-server package should change this password as soon as possible.

Interestingly this security issue was fixed upstream but, as far as I can tell, never actually announced. It appears to have affected Debian and Ubuntu packaged builds. If you are running such a build, or you obtained Bitcoin in any manner and found an rpcpassword pre-generated for you, you also should change your rpcpassword.

This security issue affects the bitcoin-server package only and is resolved in 0.8.5-2. In this release, the bitcoin.conf provided by upstream is shipped, and it contains no rpcpassword. In order to use bitcoind, you must edit the /etc/bitcoin/bitcoin.conf file and provide your own rpcpassword, otherwise the service will not start.
staff
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382
URGENT: IF YOU ARE USING THIS PACKAGE IN ITS SERVER/DAEMON MODE YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY CHANGE YOUR RPCPASSWORD

Edit /etc/bitcoin/bitcoin.conf   and replace the rpcpassword with a long random string, you don't ever need to remember it or use it.

Mashing the keyboard like "4ximgiwxkiqxkjisjfijxorqijkgojkjfkjq9ixjtrq9dqkewogkjtrijywjtuwehfx8uw"  is perfectly fine.

Activity: 530
Not sure whats going on. =/
Can somebody help me to get going?
Code:
sudo wget http://linux.ringingliberty.com/bitcoin/el6/x86_64/bitcoin-release-1-4.noarch.rpm

[DOWNLOADS FILE]

$ rpm -i bitcoin-release-1-4.noarch.rpm
error: bitcoin-release-1-4.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 signature: BAD, key ID a4360c84
error: bitcoin-release-1-4.noarch.rpm cannot be installed
Pages:
Jump to: