Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin securities - page 2. (Read 2144 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
July 07, 2013, 03:14:33 PM
Thanks, very helpful.

So do you think I'll eventually get my money (coins) back with asic-pt through dividends?

That's the million dollar (or BTC) question.

ASICMiner currently pays dividends around 0.5% of share price per week, which means it'll take 4 years to get the money back from dividends. On the other hand, if the company keeps doing okay, the resale price of the shares won't go to zero, so you won't need to regain all your investment with dividends.

What price is right for ASICMiner (or other stocks) is extremely hard to say.
Activity: 980
Merit: 508
July 07, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
Thanks, very helpful.

So do you think I'll eventually get my money (coins) back with asic-pt through dividends?
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Science!
July 07, 2013, 11:26:20 AM
Personally, I think the best values on the bitcoin market are the big dogs SD and AM and then BTCQuick. Unfortunately all are vulnerable to competition.

The barriers to entry for mining operations are becoming lower; however, competition is a good indication that a business is doing something worth imitating—I caution you, though, past success is not always a good indicator of how well a business will respond to competition. A mining operation that outperforms its mining share target is able to then sell hardware to competitors, thus reducing its share of mining profits to the targeted level but also raising new revenues through hardware sales. ASICMINER is a good example of a company well-poised to take on new competitors. ASICMINER holds hashing power in reserve while also setting a lower than capacity mining share target. This allows ASICMINER to create an enhanced barrier to entry for other large mining operations by: (1) increasing the mining difficulty by providing hardware to solo miners, (2) holding power in reserve to see off the efforts of burgeoning new challengers, and (3) developing but holding new technology in reserve to maintain high resale prices for its older technology (which could easily be devalued by immediate roll-out of newer, faster technology).

ASICMINER is at the top of the pile, but its share price carries a high premium. I don't think ASICMINER profits or value are likely to increase wildly because of the strategic principles I outlined—however, it still remains the bitcoin blue chip security because of its high dividends to share price ratio which competes with even Coinlenders excessive +25%APR on Deposits.
July 07, 2013, 10:51:40 AM

"SD and AM and then BTCQuick." Not sure what these are. AM is AMP-PT right?

I've been beaten up a bit with mining stocks and am thinking about leaving them alone. I don't really know that much about mining.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
July 07, 2013, 10:25:58 AM
Personally, I think the best values on the bitcoin market are the big dogs SD and AM and then BTCQuick. Unfortunately all are vulnerable to competition.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
July 07, 2013, 10:24:07 AM
Sure!
Plug them in here:

http://www.coinish.com/calc/

With that you can calculate share value for break-even based on variety of difficulty increases.

Amazingly, mining stocks are so beaten up right now they might even be a good investment (don't quote me)?

Check it out and let me know what you find out.

July 07, 2013, 09:55:40 AM
Hi all

I'm just making a post about mining shares. I realise that there is an area for this; marketplace/securities. However, most of the content in that area goes over my head and it tends to be discussing specific mining stocks whereas my post is more general.

Does anyone have a good way to asses the "value" of mining stocks. With regular equities price/earnings is an important attribute but what are the important attributes for mining stocks?

Anybody have success with mining stocks? What is your experience of them?
Pages:
Jump to: