Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin stolen instantly? - page 2. (Read 624 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
March 18, 2019, 11:03:28 PM
How could the btc have been stolen this quickly? Even if someone somehow got their hands on my seed can they set it for the btc to be transferred to a set address instantly without assistance? I can't imagine them sitting there with the finger on the button for months on end for the exact right time to strike.
Yes it is possible to setup a script that automatically transfers BTC from an address (if you have the appropriate private key/seed)... check out the transaction times for this address: 1CC3X2gu58d6wXUWMffpuzN9JAfTUWu4Kj

It is the address that matches the "sample" private key listed on the Bitcoin Wiki: 5Kb8kLf9zgWQnogidDA76MzPL6TsZZY36hWXMssSzNydYXYB9KF

People occasionally send a few satoshi's to this address and they are generally moved within minutes (if not seconds).

Given the speed with which your coins moved (approx 2 seconds)... either your wallet software is "bad"™ and is configured to automatically send coins out... or your seed/private keys have been compromised somehow and the thief has an automated script monitoring the addresses for deposits.

Electrum was definitely downloaded from electrum.org, I checked in my history.
Do you still have the install file or the .exe for portable or standalone Windows version? Huh

If so, have you checked and verified the digital signature of the file? This is the only way to guarantee authenticity of the wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 6080
Self-proclaimed Genius
March 18, 2019, 10:46:00 PM
There are several ways to get hacked like getting infected by malwares, viruses, visiting malicious websites and software vulnerability exploitation.
But most malware and viruses are detectable by AVs, so if you've been hacked, it must be through malicious links.
Some examples are those fake links to images posted by hackers here in the forum (so far, I've reported 2 posts) or through Winrar's bug by sharing a malicious .rar file.

But the hacker must also know your wallet's passphrase if you've been hacked, unless it came with a keylogger.
Okay, in case that's not what happened, how did you created the wallet?
  • Through Standard method (create a new SEED)
  • Import SEED
  • Import Private key(s)
  • or the wallet file came from an external source?

Because there's no other reason except the SEED being compromised if it wasn't a hack or the famous phishing scam.
Activity: 8
Merit: 1
March 18, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
I meant *no Update since 12.20, did not meanto say upgrade. I'm just baffled. Electrum says Insufficient funds so I guess it's all gone, right?
March 18, 2019, 09:05:01 PM
Thanks for reply.
In what way could I've been hacked? There's nothing unusual in my pc, I'm a crypto noob but not a PC noob, and I don't even have a file with the seed. I just don't get how this is possible. Electrum was definitely downloaded from electrum.org, I checked in my history. I didn't receive any error message and made no upgrade since 20 december 2018.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 6080
Self-proclaimed Genius
March 18, 2019, 08:48:32 PM
If others already got your SEED, they can definitely do that but I doubt it.
You must be hacked or downloaded a fake Electrum version.

From where did you downloaded Electrum (it must be electrum.org), double check your browser's history to be sure.

Also, did you received an error message in Electrum regarding a mandatory update and followed the link (not the official site or Github page)?
If that's the case, you've been a victim of a Phishing scam by malicious electrum servers.
March 18, 2019, 08:39:52 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting here. Keep in mind that I'm a noob.
I sent 105 euro worth of bitcoin (0.0302 btc) from my etoro mobile wallet to my Electrum 3.3.0 wallet. In a few minutes, at 00:49 local time the btc was transferred in my desktop wallet address but at the exact same minute the btc was sent to this address: 16CAY7PhHPCbV5veTGUjxMfthNYbLnNESu. This address is not in my Electrum list of addresses. How could the btc have been stolen this quickly? Even if someone somehow got their hands on my seed can they set it for the btc to be transferred to a set address instantly without assistance? I can't imagine them sitting there with the finger on the button for months on end for the exact right time to strike. I never used this months old address for any transactions ever before tonight. I checked for malware with Malwarebytes but there was nothing suspicious on my pc. Any chances of getting my btc back? Am I not getting something? How is this possible? Is something wrong with that stupid etoro wallet or electrum? Ask me for more details if necessary. Help!
Pages:
Jump to: