Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin taking up 5.6gb on my computer - page 2. (Read 8564 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
December 26, 2012, 01:05:25 AM
That chart says the blockchain is still less than 4gb.

Ya, it is the raw data in the blockchain.  The files include the index (blkindex.dat), which is over 1.4 GB at the moment.

Wow, that;s a lot of growth since I switched to Electrum a couple months ago.  Sounds like pruning is becoming more pressing
legendary
Activity: 2506
December 25, 2012, 08:44:41 PM

Ya, it is the raw data in the blockchain.  The files include the index (blkindex.dat), which is over 1.4 GB at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001
All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.
December 25, 2012, 08:30:34 PM
I thought the blockchain was supposed to be <4gb. Whats up with that !?

That was several months ago.  It grows quickly because there are thirty to fifty thousand transactions each day and the blocks are stored in raw form (not optimized).
 - http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

This space issue will be reduced to some degree with Bitcoin v0.8 but more importantly the performance will be much faster such that you feel you need to have the Bitcoin data on your SSD drive.
 - datadir= 
should help you in the meantime.

Hio Stephen

I am not concerned about saving space, btw. I just want to be sure there isn't anything fishy with the extra 1.5gb that I'm seeing.

pEACe
legendary
December 25, 2012, 05:19:35 PM

That was several months ago.  It grows quickly because there are thirty to fifty thousand transactions each day and the blocks are stored in raw form (not optimized).
 - http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

This space issue will be reduced to some degree with Bitcoin v0.8 but more importantly the performance will be much faster such that you feel you need to have the Bitcoin data on your SSD drive.
 - datadir= 
should help you in the meantime.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001
All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.
December 25, 2012, 02:29:35 PM
Whew ! Glad its not just me. lol

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
December 24, 2012, 09:45:56 PM
just instal a copy of electrum in another folder, and transfer your coins to that address.  Once done, you can delete your overly large files.  Why did it get so large?

Blockchain .dat files are now getting near 6GB total...
legendary
Activity: 1708
December 21, 2012, 11:26:06 PM
just instal a copy of electrum in another folder, and transfer your coins to that address.  Once done, you can delete your overly large files.  Why did it get so large?
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
December 21, 2012, 11:24:12 PM
In the C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin folder it's taking up 5.6gb

Is it ok to send all my coins to MtGox then delete this folder and keep mining?

I'm low on space (It's an SSD drive so 5.6gb is big to me)

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Why not get the script from bitaddress.org and make paper wallet(s)? You can print out two copies and keep them in two safe separate locations. You can easily add to these addresses as needed, and when you need to spend, just import to mtgox, blockchain.info, or similar services that you can trust with the amounts involved.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
December 21, 2012, 11:21:11 PM
don't use mtgox, because they randomly freeze accounts until you can provide photo id. don't use online wallets either. they are easier to use, but you lose complete control of your bitcoins. it's just better to use electrum.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
December 21, 2012, 10:55:18 PM
why not just move the data files to a normal drive on the system. that is what is taking the space. that way you keep your the bitcoin client and wallet on your computer just like now.

use the "-datadir=" switch.

see here

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
legendary
December 21, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

You may be required to verify your account with them.  Do you have a problem with sending your ID and utility statement to them?

There is also counterparty risk.   You are trusting that their methods are secure and that there won't be an "E-Gold moment" (where the authorities perform a raid and confiscate the equipment and data.).   Do I think that will happen?  Probably not in the next year or so.  Do I store more than I plan to trade with an exchange?  Nope.

If you still decide to go with storing coins at an E-Wallet provider like Mt. Gox, please make sure to use multi-factor authentication (2FA).  Mt. Gox supports Yubikey and Google Authenticator (OTP) 2FA methods.

Would you consider an SPV (Simplified Payment Verification) client?  MultiBit does not store the full blockchain yet provides much of the same capability as the Bitcoin.org client.  (The main thing that is lacking is an encrypted wallet, but that is being worked on).

There is also a hybrid E-Wallet provider, Blockchain.info/wallet.
 - http://www.Blockchain.info/wallet

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
December 21, 2012, 06:40:10 PM
In the C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin folder it's taking up 5.6gb

I'm low on space (It's an SSD drive so 5.6gb is big to me)

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Pages:
Jump to: