Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Technology - page 2. (Read 1300 times)

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
February 06, 2017, 03:56:04 PM
segwit does not solve intentional spam, malicious users just wont use p2wpkh keys
segwit does not solve intentional quadratics,  malicious users just wont use p2wpkh keys

LN does not solve intentional spam, malicious users just wont use LN hops or hubs.

the only way i can see that will sort out the fee war and the intentional real spam, without much drastic action is to introduce a new "priority formulae" that actually does a proper job of sorting out the spammers from the normal users

And the spammers sorted out with this formula couldn't use Bitcoin? Banned of Blockchain?

The spammer sorted out would be the address, and this person can create another address and spam again a transaction and again with many other new addresses.

what if there was a formulae that NEVER gave priority unless someones funds were aged atleast a day or they added a CLTV maturity period of a day.
also where the more bloated their transaction was or the more they wanted to bypass the 1day delay to respend sooner would cost them dearly

EG where those genuine/moral users that want to spend more then once a day can save some costs using the voluntary side services such as LN.
while leaving malicious intentional spammers who would refuse to use LN as it doesnt serve their malicious intent, left waiting or paying alot
Activity: 1190
Merit: 525
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
February 06, 2017, 03:37:37 PM
segwit does not solve intentional spam, malicious users just wont use p2wpkh keys
segwit does not solve intentional quadratics,  malicious users just wont use p2wpkh keys

LN does not solve intentional spam, malicious users just wont use LN hops or hubs.

the only way i can see that will sort out the fee war and the intentional real spam, without much drastic action is to introduce a new "priority formulae" that actually does a proper job of sorting out the spammers from the normal users

And the spammers sorted out with this formula couldn't use Bitcoin? Banned of Blockchain?

The spammer sorted out would be the address, and this person can create another address and spam again a transaction and again with many other new addresses.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
February 06, 2017, 03:25:54 PM

February 06, 2017, 03:09:58 PM
A fork isn't bad, it's actually a good thing most of the time (if done clean). Forks are a way of upgrading the protocol (e.g. increasing the blocksize -> allowing more transactions), the danger in hard forks is when they aren't done cleanly. This would mean that not every miner agrees on the fork, if this happens the network will split and we'll get two separate bitcoins, on that agrees with the fork, and one that doesn't. This happened to Ethereum after the DAO drama, the largest part of the network agreed on a fork that would return funds to the investors, but a smaller part (now "Ethereum Classic") didn't think it was the right thing to do and thus didn't agree on the fork.
Currently bitcoin has two forks that some people want to implement but not everyone does: SegWit, and Bitcoin Unlimited. The latter one would allow the blocksize to be increased and for there to be more transactions. Because not everyone agrees on one of the two yet, they haven't activated yet, which means the network won't be forked until a large part of the community agrees on a fork.

Hmm. And which of them is more efficient? SegWit or Bitcoin Unlimited?

I see the endorsement for BU increased these days, but looks it can make Bitcoin more centralized, making those holding higher amounts decide the future of Bitcoin, no?
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
February 06, 2017, 02:51:10 PM
Most of the issues that we currently have should be solvable with a fork but some of them require miners approval so It sometimes these solutions are hard to implement , SegWit could be an example for this.
The thing that I personally don't understand is why the development is slow compared to other coins while I'm sure the funding for the developers isn't an issue and they could get the financial support of the community If they wanted to.

A fork you say is to create a new currency? Like Bitcoin2?

If so, I don't think it a positive point, but reading a bit about it, looks this SegWit can make our experience with Bitcoin much better. Why is it difficult to implement, why is there resistence to implement?

A fork isn't bad, it's actually a good thing most of the time (if done clean). Forks are a way of upgrading the protocol (e.g. increasing the blocksize -> allowing more transactions), the danger in hard forks is when they aren't done cleanly. This would mean that not every miner agrees on the fork, if this happens the network will split and we'll get two separate bitcoins, on that agrees with the fork, and one that doesn't. This happened to Ethereum after the DAO drama, the largest part of the network agreed on a fork that would return funds to the investors, but a smaller part (now "Ethereum Classic") didn't think it was the right thing to do and thus didn't agree on the fork.
Currently bitcoin has two forks that some people want to implement but not everyone does: SegWit, and Bitcoin Unlimited. The latter one would allow the blocksize to be increased and for there to be more transactions. Because not everyone agrees on one of the two yet, they haven't activated yet, which means the network won't be forked until a large part of the community agrees on a fork.
February 06, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
Most of the issues that we currently have should be solvable with a fork but some of them require miners approval so It sometimes these solutions are hard to implement , SegWit could be an example for this.
The thing that I personally don't understand is why the development is slow compared to other coins while I'm sure the funding for the developers isn't an issue and they could get the financial support of the community If they wanted to.

A fork you say is to create a new currency? Like Bitcoin2?

If so, I don't think it a positive point, but reading a bit about it, looks this SegWit can make our experience with Bitcoin much better. Why is it difficult to implement, why is there resistence to implement?

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031
February 06, 2017, 02:20:02 PM
February 06, 2017, 02:16:41 PM
Is possible to upgrade the blockchain technology solving issues like the transactions taking too much time to finish without compromise the currency we have now or without creating a new version devaluing the currently one?
Pages:
Jump to: