Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin - The First Five Questions - page 2. (Read 3374 times)

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
September 26, 2012, 04:20:05 PM
Very good post.  A couple of points though...

In the answer to question 1, subsection 2, you refer to "normal government currency".  In my view, there is nothing "normal" about government currency.  I would try to rephrase that so that it isn't an endorsement of fiat.

In the answer to question 2, your first two bullet points are sorta wrong.  Transactions are sometimes free, maybe even usually, but not always.  But the fee goes to the operators of the network that secures the system.  And transfers aren't really instant either, which ties into point 7.  I'm not sure how far you want to open that can of worms in an introductory piece.  But I think people would be disappointed if they read this, and then started using the system and got surprised.

Also, point 5 seems like investment advice, which I would be very hesitant to give.

In question 4, you use the phrase "illegal transactions", which I really don't like.  I would say something closer to "can be used to pay for products and services which may not be legal in various places."
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
Firstbits: 19e3fc
September 26, 2012, 04:19:28 PM
It's also not correct. Zero != not zero. And fees are only really low because of the mining subsidy. But evoorhees bending the truth whenever it suits him is nothing new or surprising. And sure whatever you say bro on the last sentence.

It's not for sure that fees will be "huge" in future, for whatever reason. And fees are less, than a penny now. Grin
Actually, don't mind me, just send me tangible bitcoins please. Tongue
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
September 26, 2012, 04:13:28 PM
Well that's almost correct. Fees are near to zero. While transaction speed... well you don't really send anything at all with bitcoin.

It's also not correct. Zero != not zero. And fees are only really low because of the mining subsidy. But evoorhees bending the truth whenever it suits him is nothing new or surprising. And sure whatever you say bro on the last sentence.
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
Firstbits: 19e3fc
September 26, 2012, 04:09:20 PM
lol @ zero transfer fees and instant transactions

Well that's almost correct. Fees are near to zero. While transaction speed... well you don't really send anything at all with bitcoin.

As the world starts to realize the benefits of a real digital currency, it will become used in countless ways. It will become as ubiquitous as email (and for the very same reason - email made the cost of written communication near-zero and Bitcoin makes the cost of monetary communication near-zero).
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
COINDER
September 26, 2012, 04:00:35 PM
Posted this on our blog so that others can refer people to it - it's another "overview" of what Bitcoin is, but formatted as "The First Five Questions" everyone is bound to have. This is particularly useful for any journalists who are starting to research Bitcoin.

Not super useful to pros on this forum, but please feel free to use any of it for any purpose. Copy, paste, edit, and redistribute at will.

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/9/26/bitcoin-the-first-five-questions.html

+++
Very usefull info and a great help for my sceptic friends... Tongue
 Wink
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
September 26, 2012, 03:51:33 PM
lol @ zero transfer fees and instant transactions
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Bitcoin.se site owner
September 26, 2012, 03:26:40 PM
Very good. Would you give me permission to translate it to Swedish and publish it on bitcoin.se? Obviously with proper attribution and a link back to your original blog post.

Absolutely!

Again, no permissions needed on this, but thanks for asking. Use as you see fit.

Oh, I guess I didn't read the part about "Copy, paste, edit, and redistribute at will.", I just clicked the link. Smiley Well, I'll certainly link back to your post anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
September 26, 2012, 03:22:19 PM
Very good. Would you give me permission to translate it to Swedish and publish it on bitcoin.se? Obviously with proper attribution and a link back to your original blog post.

Absolutely!

Again, no permissions needed on this, but thanks for asking. Use as you see fit.
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Bitcoin.se site owner
September 26, 2012, 03:18:45 PM
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
September 26, 2012, 03:18:25 PM
Good and simple explanation of bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
September 26, 2012, 03:10:11 PM
Great post. Anything that helps explain bitcoins easier is good for the community.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
September 26, 2012, 03:02:50 PM
Posted this on our blog so that others can refer people to it - it's another "overview" of what Bitcoin is, but formatted as "The First Five Questions" everyone is bound to have. This is particularly useful for any journalists who are starting to research Bitcoin.

Not super useful to pros on this forum, but please feel free to use any of it for any purpose. Copy, paste, edit, and redistribute at will.

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/9/26/bitcoin-the-first-five-questions.html
Pages:
Jump to: