Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Theft Going Offline: In-Person Attacks Becoming More Common - page 2. (Read 248 times)

Activity: 218
Merit: 16
Wow that's surely scary. It's more frightening than getting your wallet hacked, because our life can be on line.
I bet i shouldn't talk to anybody else about bitcoin, so they won't easily get a target, and know who owns bitcoin worth stealing.
Although my bitcoin isn't worth to steal at all, i think i should be careful.
I hope none of this thing happens in the future, it's going to be bad for crypto world and make people fear and leave bitcoin.
I will die but never leave bitcoin Roll Eyes We need like crypto Spiderman or crypto Batman who will protect us from this shit Cool
Activity: 118
Merit: 11
Anyone in possession of a large sum of money or any kind of capital should take enough precautions and security measures. Don't go walking around telling your friends or neighbors about your cryptocapital assets. I mean it is a good idea to educate your friends or loved ones, but you should not be bragging about how much you own to anyone. It's just part of your own security. 
Activity: 700
Merit: 251
Wow that's surely scary. It's more frightening than getting your wallet hacked, because our life can be on line.
I bet i shouldn't talk to anybody else about bitcoin, so they won't easily get a target, and know who owns bitcoin worth stealing.
Although my bitcoin isn't worth to steal at all, i think i should be careful.
I hope none of this thing happens in the future, it's going to be bad for crypto world and make people fear and leave bitcoin.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
In a beach resort in Phuket, Thailand, in January, thieves held captive a Russian man in his apartment until he logged onto his computer and transferred about $100,000 worth of Bitcoin to an online wallet they controlled.

To an online wallet eh.. I don't think that was a very smart idea.

Anyway, it just shows how important being secretive it is when investing huge amounts of money in cryptocurrency. Don't tell anyone about your investments unless necessary, especially on social networking sites like Facebook whereas your name and even probably your city is displayed to the public.

Does it mean that we should make crypto businesses stayin anonymous and never disclose our names? People never trust such businesses, am I right?

My point is, don't publicize that you actually own any cryptocurrency investments unless necessary. You don't gain anything from bragging your investments on social media anyway, unless you want to get kidnapped.

Yes that's reasonable a lot.
What about some crypto projects like ICOs where owners tend to be public so everyone should believe they are not scams?
They just taking risk to earn more? Is this a clever idea?

Like I said, only disclose some of your personal information only when absolutely necessary. Just like in the case of cryptocurrency project owners/team members. And yes, it's definitely riskier for them; but they have no choice but to introduce themselves to the people for better project transparency.
In a beach resort in Phuket, Thailand, in January, thieves held captive a Russian man in his apartment until he logged onto his computer and transferred about $100,000 worth of Bitcoin to an online wallet they controlled.

Anyway, it just shows how important being secretive it is when investing huge amounts of money in cryptocurrency. Don't tell anyone about your investments unless necessary, especially on social networking sites like Facebook whereas your name and even probably your city is displayed to the public.

Does it mean that we should make crypto businesses stayin anonymous and never disclose our names? People never trust such businesses, am I right?

My point is, don't publicize that you actually own any cryptocurrency investments unless necessary. You don't gain anything from bragging your investments on social media anyway, unless you want to get kidnapped.

Yes that's reasonable a lot.
What about some crypto projects like ICOs where owners tend to be public so everyone should believe they are not scams?
They just taking risk to earn more? Is this a clever idea?
Activity: 290
Merit: 15
That's terrible news. How should we avoid it?

Never openly talk about anything crypto related with anyone, let alone brag about it. Rich people will always be targets regardless, but you can make it easier for yourself by simply making it seem like you have absolutely nothing to do with cryptos whatsoever. Screw the "lost adoption" by hauling your granny in, think for yourself.

Absolutely right, keep in secret that you are dealing with crypto Smiley
mk4
legendary
Paldo.io 🤖

Never openly talk about anything crypto related with anyone, let alone brag about it. Rich people will always be targets regardless, but you can make it easier for yourself by simply making it seem like you have absolutely nothing to do with cryptos whatsoever. Screw the "lost adoption" by hauling your granny in, think for yourself.

Oh. Staying rich seems to be difficult...

Activity: 195
Merit: 100
THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

mk4
legendary
Paldo.io 🤖

Activity: 290
Merit: 15
Source: https://cryptocomes.com/bitcoin-theft-going-offline-person-attacks-becoming-more-common

There has been such a focus on building protection for cryptocurrency owners online, that some thieves are simply circumventing it by going old-school and attacking people face on, forcing them to part ways with their digital currencies.

Hostage situations

There has not been as much coverage of in-person Bitcoin thefts as there have about hacks and other methods of taking Bitcoin off people illegally, but there has been a few instance in the recent past.

Even more high profile people have been faced with in-person attacks aimed at stealing Bitcoin.

Chief Executive of a UK-based Bitcoin exchange called EXMO, Pavel Lerner, on leaving his offices in Kiev, was kidnapped just After Christmas last year and held ransom for a fee of $1 mln Bitcoin.

A month prior to that, in Turkey, a businessman was forced to hand over the passwords for his virtual wallets which contained in excess of $3 mln. He was stopped by an armed gang in his car, in Istanbul.

Pages:
Jump to: