Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin URI Protocol Scheme - page 2. (Read 366 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
September 01, 2021, 05:36:51 AM
I think this URL means of payment will not be resistant against such malware.
Good point and it got me thinking about the same thing as well. I am really not sure whether a clipboard hijacker would be able to change the address if you just clicked on it and it automatically filled up the payment details as is the case with this URI scheme. Does anyone know for sure?

Better for newbies to manually fill the transaction details and carefully re-check those info before sign to broadcast .
Everyone should double check where and how they are sending their coins irrespective of if you do it manually or it gets automatically filled. Just check that the destination address matches the one you need to send to after clicking on the link and you will be fine.

I'm curious on something about this URL. Would it modify the settings on my own wallet? For example, if I set my default denomination to mBTC and someone create a transaction in BTC, would it readjust on my end, or remain as mBTC?
I just tried it with the links in OP on Electrum. When I have my base unit set at BTC, the displayed amount to send is 1.4 BTC. When I change it to mBTC, it shows 1400 mBTC instead. It will show the amounts in whatever unit you selected for yourself. 
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4313
🔐BitcoinMessage.Tools🔑
September 01, 2021, 03:48:44 AM
Bitcoin URI is definitely a convenient tool that facilitates user's interactions with the bitcoin network. However, I don't think that this solution is suitable for complete newbies who have never dealt with payments on the network. First of all, it damages the privacy of both senders, who use the link, and the receiver, who posted it, it encourages a bad practice, which is address reuse. It is good for a one-time payment but doesn't work for donations. Secondly, not all wallets are supporting this kind of link, which may confuse inexperienced users and force them to try different wallets or options. Thirdly, hyperlinks are dangerous by themselves. A nefarious actor can easily hide a link to malicious software or phishing website behind what will look like a normal bitcoin URI. Also, a hacker can simply change the posted address with his own using hyperlinks, and no one will ever notice. It may well be I am exaggerating and there is no issue at all with these URIs but when it comes to newbies and all the ways they could be deceived it is impossible to foresee all outcomes.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
September 01, 2021, 01:51:27 AM
I'm curious on something about this URL. Would it modify the settings on my own wallet? For example, if I set my default denomination to mBTC and someone create a transaction in BTC, would it readjust on my end, or remain as mBTC?
It will not, neither can it affect the denomination that you set on your wallet, if the other party have it on his wallet set as BTC, that does not mean it will change on your own wallet, if you set it in mBTC, the BTC amount set by the other party will be displayed as mBTC that you set on your wallet and get the same amount but different denomination.
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 2169
Professional Community manager
August 31, 2021, 05:53:42 PM

Better for newbies to manually fill the transaction details and carefully re-check those info before sign to broadcast .
It's actually better for everyone to manually fill the details and double check (and double check again) before clicking send. Scanning QR codes make the process much easier and the rest isn't much of a hassle.
Activity: 2338
Merit: 757
August 31, 2021, 05:34:05 PM
If you run a business and want users to pay with bitcoin, then this URI is a great feature to help custmers pay without the need to fill transactions details with receipping address and amount... Something similar to invoices when you add a paiement gate from BitPay or Coinpaiement .
However, i think it's not an option that can be used by newbies and less-knowledge people when it comes to regular transactions and P2P operations; This will open the door for thiefs and scammers to decieve ignorant people .
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
August 31, 2021, 04:06:16 PM
This URL can be generated while making transaction, just like on Electrum wallet, by filling in the exact amount of Bitcoin and also filling in the description on the receive page will generate the QR code and URL for the transaction. But one thing I still consider is that irrespective of the way Bitcoin wallet user want to make transaction, he should be very careful of clipboard and QR code malware, to check and recheck the address he want to send to very well before making any transaction because I think this URL means of payment will not be resistant against such malware. And also we should be very careful of malware in general, making our device safe from any form of malware that can result to coin lost.
copper member
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305
Limited in number. Limitless in potential.
August 31, 2021, 12:53:23 PM
More info - this Bitcoin URI protocol is the one also used in many supported wallet (I guess most of these bitcoin wallets) when sending/receiving via QR code instead of clicking links, mainly for receiving bitcoin with amount and message which are optional.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
August 31, 2021, 12:12:26 PM
You can use a simple code to receive a payment from someone else, where that person only needs to click on a link to automatically fill out the transaction information.
The imported info includes the destination address of the payment, the amount, and a description (optional).

The code looks like this:
Code:
bitcoin:bc1qc8qk228490dwvfcrpzmnx8c2p7sh0k2e72tg78?amount=10&message=payment

- After "bitcoin:" you enter the destination address.
- After the address, the code must include "?amount=" followed by the amount in BTC.
- If you don't want to add a description, delete the part of the code the follows the amount you entered. The code would then look like this:
Code:
bitcoin:bc1qc8qk228490dwvfcrpzmnx8c2p7sh0k2e72tg78?amount=10

If you are using a crypto wallet that supports Bitcoin payment URIs, copy and paste the code into your internet browser (works both on Chrome and Firefox), and you will initiate the transaction generation process.
If you are posting this on Bitcointalk, you can modify the URL with a hyperlink. Here are two examples of how it can look:

Click here to send the funds
Pay 0.25 BTC by clicking on this link

Many popular wallets support the URI scheme. Here are just some that I know of:
  • Electrum
  • Bitcoin Core
  • Armory
  • Mycelium
  • Trust Wallet
  • Copay
  • Edge
  • Exodus
  • Coinomi
  • BlueWallet
  • Blockchain.com Wallet

*Source of the info is this post by pooya87 here.
Pages:
Jump to: