Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Vanity Addresses Revisited - page 2. (Read 2515 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
November 05, 2012, 12:54:07 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but why can't some entity devise a service that allows somebody to generated their own Bitcoin vanity address, something along the lines of how FirstBits does it? That way the average Joe isn't stuck with something like 15cULo1jnCreXk8xGrvyRkSb7PtMbGFwbd (not real).

Examply:

Barnwood Naturals LLC has a domain located at http://www.barnwoodnaturals.com/. They put in a lot of time and effort to build their brand and may not be too keen on pasting some generic Bitcoin address onto their sleek looking website or business cards. But if it were possible for them to generate their address like 1BarnwoodNaturalsLLCat5035803900ph, which upon clicking (or inserting) redirects to their real address, no matter how ugly it looks, they may be more inclined to embrace Bitcoin.

In fact, in this case the 1 is not even needed. Nor does the address need to be restricted to exactly 34 characters, although a limit should be set (40?), as well as what other characters can be used (_-*^$()#@, etc.).

If this were possible, then we may be able to see the following:

If paying with Bitcoin, please use BarnwoodNatualsLLC(ph)503-580-3900. (upon clicking, a form is generated showing the actual address for client's records and a place to input their address for payment processing)

Other examples of how the newly created address would look:

TravisSinclair(addy)123ElmRogersParkOH
JonJonInc(ph)555-222-9035
ILovePinkiePieWithAllMyHeart
HomelessJackieOnTheRoad
AmericanEndowmentFoundation(ph)888-440-4233

Design the site so that it's very easy for a person to get their Bitcoin vanity address. The ONLY requirement needed to create their one-of-a-kind address is that they have to already have a real Bitcoin address that has already been used at least once and registered in the Blockchain.

I believe that the more personal Bitcoin is, the more people will embrace and use it.

~Bruno K~

I had thought about a system like that earlier- it's in one of forum posts. The trick is- what does the magic of "upon clicking, a form is generated"? A phone book like DNS? Some sort of hash? It's difficult to say.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
November 05, 2012, 12:51:57 PM
forget that.

vanity as it is, is great.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
November 05, 2012, 12:51:31 PM
Why wouldn't they just say, "Click here to pay with Bitcoin" and that link would then open up the URI or wallet software? 
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 05, 2012, 12:48:29 PM
The site I'm envisioning would have dropdown boxes on the form page. All a person would have to do is insert their chosen or company name, and either address, phone, city, state, etc. (or a finite combination). The address is automatically generated for them and if they like it, they click accept or start over.

Mullen'sBar&Grill(630)505-0299
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 05, 2012, 12:42:17 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but why can't some entity devise a service that allows somebody to generated their own Bitcoin vanity address, something along the lines of how FirstBits does it? That way the average Joe isn't stuck with something like 15cULo1jnCreXk8xGrvyRkSb7PtMbGFwbd (not real).

Examply:

Barnwood Naturals LLC has a domain located at http://www.barnwoodnaturals.com/. They put in a lot of time and effort to build their brand and may not be too keen on pasting some generic Bitcoin address onto their sleek looking website or business cards. But if it were possible for them to generate their address like 1BarnwoodNaturalsLLCat5035803900ph, which upon clicking (or inserting) redirects to their real address, no matter how ugly it looks, they may be more inclined to embrace Bitcoin.

In fact, in this case the 1 is not even needed. Nor does the address need to be restricted to exactly 34 characters, although a limit should be set (40?), as well as what other characters can be used (_-*^$()#@, etc.).

If this were possible, then we may be able to see the following:

If paying with Bitcoin, please use BarnwoodNatualsLLC(ph)503-580-3900. (upon clicking, a form is generated showing the actual address for client's records and a place to input their address for payment processing)

Other examples of how the newly created address would look:

TravisSinclair(addy)123ElmRogersParkOH
JonJonInc(ph)555-222-9035
ILovePinkiePieWithAllMyHeart
HomelessJackieOnTheRoad
AmericanEndowmentFoundation(ph)888-440-4233

Design the site so that it's very easy for a person to get their Bitcoin vanity address. The ONLY requirement needed to create their one-of-a-kind address is that they have to already have a real Bitcoin address that has already been used at least once and registered in the Blockchain.

I believe that the more personal Bitcoin is, the more people will embrace and use it.

~Bruno K~
Pages:
Jump to: