Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin version 0.3.22 - page 2. (Read 18120 times)

Activity: 566
Merit: 500
Unselfish actions pay back better
June 06, 2011, 01:33:16 PM

No, I am afraid it is not.  I use uPnP in any event.  I restarted the new version and it very very slowly found the first connection and over the next 10 or more minutes got as high as 9 peers.  I closed it, uninstalled and went back to the previous version.  Started.  A few seconds after it started one then two connections and then they flooded in well above 115 connections [I often have more than 150 connections].  After a time, the client usually drops to 45-60 peers typically.  There is DEFINITELY a difference with the way the new client is working as far as P2P goes.  Maybe uPnP was broken?

Same behavious here, except I don't use UPnP (and I'm not behind NAT).

Cheers,
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
June 06, 2011, 12:18:06 PM
I also am sticking to the old client.  The new client makes connections very slowly and I had a very small amount sent to me that never appeared.  Went back to the previous client and will wait it out until my small transaction appears.

I don't know why the P2P bit of the code seems so slow to connect and does not connect to many peers at all, but I don't like it.

The P2P code did not change at all.  This is the behavior of the network, not the new version, because so many new users joined without forwarding their port 8333.

No, I am afraid it is not.  I use uPnP in any event.  I restarted the new version and it very very slowly found the first connection and over the next 10 or more minutes got as high as 9 peers.  I closed it, uninstalled and went back to the previous version.  Started.  A few seconds after it started one then two connections and then they flooded in well above 115 connections [I often have more than 150 connections].  After a time, the client usually drops to 45-60 peers typically.  There is DEFINITELY a difference with the way the new client is working as far as P2P goes.  Maybe uPnP was broken?
Merit: 13
June 06, 2011, 11:30:41 AM
I also am sticking to the old client.  The new client makes connections very slowly and I had a very small amount sent to me that never appeared.  Went back to the previous client and will wait it out until my small transaction appears.

I don't know why the P2P bit of the code seems so slow to connect and does not connect to many peers at all, but I don't like it.

The P2P code did not change at all.  This is the behavior of the network, not the new version, because so many new users joined without forwarding their port 8333.

Activity: 755
Merit: 515
June 06, 2011, 10:01:24 AM
Is it working on Ubuntu 11.04 with compiz now?
Yes.
Activity: 156
Merit: 100
June 06, 2011, 09:26:36 AM
Is it working on Ubuntu 11.04 with compiz now?
June 06, 2011, 09:22:25 AM
No, the keypool feature was created as a response of someone else (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=782.msg8620). The creation of at least one new address must be triggered in order for the keypool to be filled, and that is still the case for version 0.3.22. So is there a reason why a new wallet.dat contains only 1 keypair until you create a new address? Seems like a bug to me...
Oh sorry, anyway close enough.  But yes, its a bug and there is a pull to fix it, probably to be pulled very soon or fixed in some form or another.
June 06, 2011, 09:17:03 AM

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 06, 2011, 08:20:22 AM
Beware that this version still seems to have the bug where initial wallet.dat creation does not fill the keypool with 100 pregenerated keypairs. Someone just lost a lot of BTC because of that (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11104.0).
Actually that guy lost his coins before keypool was created, in fact, keypool was created as a response to that person's post.
That said, yes you are right, before you backup the first time, make sure you get some coins and/or send some.
No, the keypool feature was created as a response of someone else (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=782.msg8620). The creation of at least one new address must be triggered in order for the keypool to be filled, and that is still the case for version 0.3.22. So is there a reason why a new wallet.dat contains only 1 keypair until you create a new address? Seems like a bug to me...
Activity: 84
June 06, 2011, 08:18:01 AM
It's taken this new install 4 hours so far to rescan the block count.  It's up to 121625 and still probably has 30 mins or so to go....very annoying!
June 06, 2011, 07:47:17 AM
Beware that this version still seems to have the bug where initial wallet.dat creation does not fill the keypool with 100 pregenerated keypairs. Someone just lost a lot of BTC because of that (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11104.0).
Actually that guy lost his coins before keypool was created, in fact, keypool was created as a response to that person's post.
That said, yes you are right, before you backup the first time, make sure you get some coins and/or send some.
Activity: 6
June 06, 2011, 07:38:20 AM

There is a bug where the creation of the first-ever address (with label "Your Address") does not trigger filling of the keypool. The keypool is only filled once the next address is created, and then it takes tens of minutes to fill completely.
June 06, 2011, 07:33:35 AM
Sure, no need to upload the whole source, i just downloaded the zip file from the first post and in main.h changed the line that read  return dPriority > COIN * 144 / 250; into : return true;

This patch was proposed by the user Raulo here, and is not mine.
Please dont do that, that changes several other unrelated things that shouldn't be.  If you really want the option to more granularly control the fee, please build my better fee ui branch instead. Works much better and doesnt have adverse side effects on other uses of transaction acceptance.
Also, that wont change build results, can you give more information on your build environment?
Activity: 61
June 06, 2011, 06:19:33 AM
When I upgrade to this new version, will my original Bitcoin address be saved?

Thanks  Smiley
Activity: 27
June 06, 2011, 05:46:17 AM
Here you are: a 0-fee sir http://ifile.it/jyzwhpi . I'll talk to luke about the eligius version and make a binary soon.

Just out of curiosity, I tested your binary. My 'getwork' issue is resolved with it. Could you please send the source used to compile it? I'd like to do a diff on it and the official release :-/

Sure, no need to upload the whole source, i just downloaded the zip file from the first post and in main.h changed the line that read  return dPriority > COIN * 144 / 250; into : return true;

This patch was proposed by the user Raulo here, and is not mine.
Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza
June 06, 2011, 05:10:59 AM
Got errors on my ubuntu:

/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)
/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 9.04
Release:        9.04
Codename:       jaunty

As far as I know Ubuntu builds work only on newer Ubuntu releases, you have too old one.

Yeah, thought so. Sad
Too bad i cannot upgrade this box. Back to the old version it seems...
Activity: 56
June 06, 2011, 05:01:24 AM
What about a MacOS version?
This.

Was that supposed to be a link? I'm also looking for a Mac version ... and btw, on bitcoins.org, it still says 0.3.21.
Activity: 84
June 06, 2011, 04:34:25 AM
Just updated my client on OpenSUSE 11.4.  Was running 0.3.21 fine but this one doesn't seem to be doing anything...

It's been running for about 20 mins.  Output of getinfo:

# ./bitcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 32200,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 0,
    "connections" : 0,
    "proxy" : "",
    "generate" : false,
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "difficulty" : 1.00000000,
    "hashespersec" : 0,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1307348470,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "errors" : ""
}

I've forwarded 8333 to it to see if that helps but no.  It has a connection to irc.lfnet.org but nothing on port 8333.  I've checked my firewall logs too and nothing so far!

Any ideas?

EDIT: Seems to be working now, just took a lot longer than expected!
Activity: 607
Merit: 500
June 06, 2011, 03:49:07 AM
Got errors on my ubuntu:

/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)
/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)

$ lsb_release -a

As far as I know Ubuntu builds work only on newer Ubuntu releases, you have too old one.
Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza
June 06, 2011, 03:44:20 AM
Got errors on my ubuntu:

$ lsb_release -a
Activity: 41
June 06, 2011, 03:42:29 AM
Here you are: a 0-fee sir http://ifile.it/jyzwhpi . I'll talk to luke about the eligius version and make a binary soon.

Just out of curiosity, I tested your binary. My 'getwork' issue is resolved with it. Could you please send the source used to compile it? I'd like to do a diff on it and the official release :-/
Pages:
Jump to: