Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin version 0.4 released - page 3. (Read 17159 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
September 24, 2011, 11:38:14 AM
i have a question.  i want to use an very long complex password that i've memorized.  however, i stopped the encryption when i saw just a single password entry window that hides the password itself.  reason being is that if i mis type one character and proceed to ok the encryption i'm screwed, correct?  if correct, why wasn't a "re-type password" window used?
Just did this myself and it does prompt a second time to re-enter the password before creating the new wallet.

thanks.  didn't want to press ok until someone told me exactly what was going to happen next.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
September 24, 2011, 11:20:42 AM
i have a question.  i want to use an very long complex password that i've memorized.  however, i stopped the encryption when i saw just a single password entry window that hides the password itself.  reason being is that if i mis type one character and proceed to ok the encryption i'm screwed, correct?  if correct, why wasn't a "re-type password" window used?
Just did this myself and it does prompt a second time to re-enter the password before creating the new wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1764
September 24, 2011, 10:54:07 AM
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
September 24, 2011, 10:28:41 AM
You guys are great, thank you for this further step.
Is there a donation adress for the whole developer team or something similar?

There is not a donation address for the whole development team; if there was, somebody would have to be in charge of keeping track of the bitcoins, deciding what they should be spent on, etc.

I don't want to be that somebody....

If you like the wallet encryption feature, send bitcoins to:
  Matt Corallo :  1JBMattRztKDF2KRS3vhjJXA7h47NEsn2c
and Jeff Garzik : 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

Matt (aka "BlueMatt" in IRC) did the hard work of making wallet encryption happen, and deserves a ton of credit for being persistent and reworking his Jeff's initial implementation a few times based on feedback and suggestions.

Gregory Maxwell ('gmaxwell') also deserves credit and donations, he gave a lot of feedback and did a lot of testing:
  gmaxwell : 1LjPAUKf23kDBy9sLJbiLfsvjde3ZdHcbJ

(corrected to give Jeff credit for the initial implementation-- sorry Jeff!)
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
September 24, 2011, 10:17:01 AM
What is the encryption method/algorithm used?
dynamic iterated SHA512 hashing to derive a password key, AES256-CBC using the password key to encrypt a master key, AES256-CBC using the master key to encrypt the wallet keys.
More details are in the doc/README file in the tree:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/README#L70
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
September 24, 2011, 10:00:24 AM
Super Excellent!

dynamic iterated SHA512 hashing to derive a password key, AES256-CBC using the password key to encrypt a master key, AES256-CBC using the master key to encrypt the wallet keys.

Since the DB format has been updated how will that affect blockchain archives? Will there have to be two versions or will downloading an older version still work fine? I guess it auto-converts if it sees an older version DB?

The wallet format changed to support encrypted keys, the blockchain database format didn't.

The binary is linked using bdb4.8 instead of bdb4.7 though, which will upgrade the database logs well, in a backward-incompatible way.
legendary
Activity: 1358
September 24, 2011, 09:29:18 AM
And Microsoft will give you a current version of Windows for free.

OFF-TOPIC: Where can I signup for that free windows version?
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
September 24, 2011, 09:17:50 AM
Super Excellent!

Since the DB format has been updated how will that affect blockchain archives? Will there have to be two versions or will downloading an older version still work fine? I guess it auto-converts if it sees an older version DB?
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
September 24, 2011, 09:06:28 AM
Thanks devs.  Keep up the fantastic work!
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
September 24, 2011, 09:04:42 AM
Sadly still not working on W2k  Cry

Switch to Linux.  Surely W2K will have enough unpatched security holes that any bitcoins you own will surely get stolen.

Maybe it's his workplace machine. I can't imagine a bitcoiner using W2K by choice in the year 2011.

Yeah certainly not when XP is still available.

And Microsoft will give you a current version of Windows for free.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
September 24, 2011, 08:44:59 AM
Sadly still not working on W2k  Cry

Switch to Linux.  Surely W2K will have enough unpatched security holes that any bitcoins you own will surely get stolen.

Maybe it's his workplace machine. I can't imagine a bitcoiner using W2K by choice in the year 2011.

Yeah certainly not when XP is still available.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
September 24, 2011, 07:53:31 AM
Thanks guys! Keep up the good work Smiley
o
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
September 24, 2011, 07:29:46 AM
Thanks the hard work of the development team!
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
September 24, 2011, 03:37:59 AM
Thanks guys. Built-in encryption is great.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
September 24, 2011, 03:32:03 AM
You guys are great, thank you for this further step.
Is there a donation adress for the whole developer team or something similar?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
September 23, 2011, 07:54:37 PM
I'll be interested in two things, and I'll make some of my own estimates for the fun of it:

1)  Ratio of BTC lost due to forgotten passphrase vs. those to stolen wallet.dat's:
1e) 10/1

2)  First post here from someone needing to know how to get their coins from an encrypted wallet due to forgetting their passphrase:
2e) 3 days

Don't get me wrong...I think this is good an necessary work and I thank the dev team for it and all the other work.  But I do anticipate the encryption contributing to the 'deflationary' nature of the currency Smiley

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007
"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."
September 23, 2011, 07:36:33 PM
+1  Smiley
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
September 23, 2011, 06:42:29 PM
first off: congrats and thanks for the hard work to the devs.

A question:
How does using rpc call "sendtoaddress" work with an encrypted wallet?

From the point of RPC, the wallet is either in "locked" or "unlocked" state. You can use the "walletpassphrase" RPC call to unlock it for a limited time. Sendtoaddress and some other commands will fail if the wallet is locked.

Nice, that's a good solution. Thanks for the info, sipa.
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
September 23, 2011, 06:32:14 PM
first off: congrats and thanks for the hard work to the devs.

A question:
How does using rpc call "sendtoaddress" work with an encrypted wallet?

From the point of RPC, the wallet is either in "locked" or "unlocked" state. You can use the "walletpassphrase" RPC call to unlock it for a limited time. Sendtoaddress and some other commands will fail if the wallet is locked.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
September 23, 2011, 06:31:46 PM
And perhaps sipa's mod can make it into the next release so we can all stop using pywallet? No offense to jackjack, it's an excellent tool, but frankly it's a tool that shouldn't exist considering there's been a pull request that duplicates its functionality for quite some time now.
Pages:
Jump to: