Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin vs Gold : manipulation through derivatives - page 2. (Read 620 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Hi all

I need to have maximum opinions about this very important question. I've been reading quite a few articles about this, and didn't find the answers to ease my paranoia about this.

So, let's make it simple : since some time now, it is possible to trade bitcoin derivatives (the same applies for other cryptos, it's not the point). We all (or most of us) know how gold price was able to be manipulated by central authorities thanks to its future market, allowing financial institutions who have access to unlimited supply of cash (thanks to the Fed) to use it to suppress the price of gold.

One of the aspect of bitcoin is that it is a decentralized mean of exchange that can't be printed, as gold is. In some aspect, bitcoin is the digital gold. But if it becomes more and more common to trade bitcoin futures, and if this becomes more and more popular and done through bigger and bigger financial institutions, aren't we facing the exact same problems that we did with gold ? Couldn't it be that the more popular bitcoin becomes (and other cryptos of course), the more financial institutions will be able to rigg the game and finally completely control the price of it, exactly as they did (and still do) with gold ?
Pages:
Jump to: