Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin wallet, cant remember the password - page 2. (Read 440 times)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
December 19, 2017, 09:46:31 AM
Yes, I have backups of the wallet.dat. So what is the best alternative in my case? Any hope?
Is your oldest backup from before encrypting the wallet? If so, see what is says when you open it in Bitcoin Core.

No. I have only the encrypted wallet.dat and the password which I think is right. When I open, It shows the old transactions, sent and received. Balance 0 hehe, I need to sync with the blockchain first i guess, is not synchronized yet and that will take a while, 145gb.

However, I think even if the wallet.dat is not synchronized yet, the wallet.dat would be decrypted without any problem, Am I right or no?
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
December 19, 2017, 09:42:41 AM
Yes, I have backups of the wallet.dat. So what is the best alternative in my case? Any hope?
Is your oldest backup from before encrypting the wallet? If so, see what is says when you open it in Bitcoin Core.
Xtreme Monster
December 19, 2017, 09:28:38 AM
About the keyboard, not sure if is related cause it was a copy paste password from a written password on notepad, i remember i checked 2 times and then I applied the password to encrypt the wallet and then after few days I went back and the paraphrase could not work, so i left it alone since 2013. As it was a copy paste password, i'm not sure if special characters printed something else, is hard to say. I'm trying now cause is worth some work for almost $60k hehe
For this reason, I always type at least part of the password I copy/paste when I enter it the second time for verification. This ensures I'm not accidentally copying something else.

Do you by any chance have a backup of your wallet.dat from before the encryption?

When you said "Bitcoin wallet", I assumed you have a wallet.dat file made by Bitcoin Core (or bitcoin-qt). This article is about brain wallets, cracking them doesn't target your wallet, it cracks random wallets.

legendary
December 19, 2017, 07:12:36 AM
About the keyboard, not sure if is related cause it was a copy paste password from a written password on notepad, i remember i checked 2 times and then I applied the password to encrypt the wallet and then after few days I went back and the paraphrase could not work, so i left it alone since 2013. As it was a copy paste password, i'm not sure if special characters printed something else, is hard to say. I'm trying now cause is worth some work for almost $60k hehe
For this reason, I always type at least part of the password I copy/paste when I enter it the second time for verification. This ensures I'm not accidentally copying something else.

Do you by any chance have a backup of your wallet.dat from before the encryption?

When you said "Bitcoin wallet", I assumed you have a wallet.dat file made by Bitcoin Core (or bitcoin-qt). This article is about brain wallets, cracking them doesn't target your wallet, it cracks random wallets.
Xtreme Monster
December 19, 2017, 06:48:22 AM
Hello all, is there a way to crack a 44 characters passphrase with brute force?
Brute force you won't have a chance, with a smart attack like racquemis says it might work.

I was using the US windows 7 64 bit version at that time, British keyboard
Can you buy the same keyboard and try to reproduce what you did at the time?

Well racquemis said to use the same password and brute force it hehe, i guess his program tries many combinations.

I was reading about this https://www.ccn.com/researchers-describe-easy-way-crack-bitcoin-wallet-passwords/

https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/103.pdf
legendary
December 19, 2017, 06:18:46 AM
Hello all, is there a way to crack a 44 characters passphrase with brute force?
Brute force you won't have a chance, with a smart attack like racquemis says it might work.

I was using the US windows 7 64 bit version at that time, British keyboard
Can you buy the same keyboard and try to reproduce what you did at the time?

Xtreme Monster
December 19, 2017, 05:32:32 AM
Thank you. I think it might be related to the special characters, maybe instead of them, it is a different character. I guess i will be trying.
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
December 19, 2017, 05:13:37 AM
I have this software on my PC: https://www.thegrideon.com/bitcoin-password-recovery.html

You can use your own password and set a keyboard layout and choose tyypos (also for characters like %$&) and let it bruteforce

EDIT: https://www.thegrideon.com/keyboard-layout.html this is what you want
Xtreme Monster
December 19, 2017, 05:10:31 AM
Hello all, is there a way to crack a 44 characters passphrase with brute force? sadly I have no idea how many characters there were really on the passphrase cause I used the copy and paste with the mouse and i'm not sure if I copied the paraphrase I was supposed to use as paraphrase, I tried the paraphrase with 44 characters and it does not work. So I have no idea what could be the paraphrase. 3 bitcoins in the wallet, right now is worth almost $60k, back in the days, was worth $40.

Also I tried many combinations and nothing, when copying space can be a problem and also the special characters may have been different than what is now. There is one of each $%^& and I think they could be the problem. I was using the US windows 7 64 bit version at that time, British keyboard. Well I guess if I cant crack it now, maybe one day, anybody with ideas, any help is welcome, I can throw some money to anybody that helps me to crack this if successful.

I really can't remember what happened, it was on January 2013.
Pages:
Jump to: