Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet & Seed Storage Question? - page 3. (Read 660 times)

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
June 25, 2019, 02:27:08 AM
I think that two ledgers is overkill. I mean, if anything happens with the first one, you can order a second one and recover from the seed.
Another thing is about the placement. If you want super safety, keep the backup in another city. Maybe send your second ledger to your grandparents or something like that. Or keep it at home without the seed in it. (Just keeping too many ledgers at home may lead to the 5$ wrench security issue if one finds them)

The seed, on the other hand, is the most important thing and imho the easiest to conceal. Get two books, mark the seed words in them (make sure you keep the ordering right too), keep one at home, keep the second at your parents/grandparents/uncle/whatever. Of course, the marking should not be so obvious, for example keep somewhere (on a specially made/printed bookmark?) a list with page numbers and word numbers.

I would not rely solely on memorizing. It's prone to the 5$ wrench issue and an accident can make you partly lose your memory and you'll lose everything.
Activity: 21
Merit: 11
June 25, 2019, 12:42:07 AM
Hello,

Recently I've decided to move my Bitcoin from Coinbase to a hardware wallet. I purchased 2 Ledger  Nano X's, the extra Ledger as a backup. I've checked out many hardware wallets before I decided to get the Ledger Nano X and with all the research I've done there didn't seem to be a wallet that was considered the Holy-Grail by anyone. The Ledger seems good enough to me.

So I live in kind-of a sketchy urban city neighborhood. I plan on buying a safe for the Ledger and keeping the safe in my bedroom closet. I will always know where the Ledger is and even if someone were to burglarize my apartment and steal the entire safe they would not have my seed phrase. One of the questions I have is where should I store the backup Ledger? Should I put the backup Ledger in a hide-a-key and store it in my basement locker or find some hiding place in my apartment? Is buying a safe for my closet even a good idea?

So secondly, what should I do about storing my seed phrase? I've seen the Billfodl wallets and the like but I'm not too terribly sold on them. So I would put my seed phrase on the Billfodl and then store the Billfodl in a safety deposit box at a bank? Seems straight forward to me but where I live there are no safety deposit boxes nearby and it would take a while to get to one.

I have this idea and I need your opinions. I love poetry and I have many poems memorized. Why can't I have my seed phrase be the first 24 words of my favorite poem? I already have the book in my library so I know where the seed phrase is and no one who breaks into my apartment will ever be able to find the seed phrase because it's just one out of thousand of poems in my library. So what if there is a fire? Well, I can just buy another book or better yet, what if I just buy a back-up book and keep that book in a P.O. Box at the post office directly across the street from where I live? Maybe I could underscore the poem lightly with a pencil in the back-up book.

I know there are many ways to store hardware wallets and seed phrases and even though I think my ideas are good ideas I am not an expert on this matter and I would welcome any opinions. Thank you.
Pages:
Jump to: