Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin wastes electricity? - No - Heat your home with mining - page 3. (Read 525 times)

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
if asics produce more heat at 3kwh. than a normal home/whole room heating system then it is indeed green. plus you get passive income returns on that heat production

this case is true if comparing mining asic vs those small personal heaters devices that sit near you that only produce a certain level of heat to warm you up but for safety standards do not exceed a certain temperature. whilst wasting 1-2kw in doing so (personal heaters, not room heaters)

an asic can heat a whole room for 3kw. but i would not recommend putting it near you as the heat is intense in close proximity
Activity: 728
Merit: 308
I have read these sort of stories and I find this thinking very innovative and a good way to recycle the heat generated from mining equipment. This will be of no benefit to those in places that require no heating, but to those in the colder region, leveraging on this free heat generated from mining hardware if you are a miner can effectively lower your expenses on electricity. Nothing should be a waste.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Heating My Home with Crypto Mining

I have a feeling that these articles have forgotten about the noise a bitcoin miner makes.
I don't say that using the heat of the ASICs is bad (I think that some even use it for their garden/plants) as long as they mine anyway, I just say that the topic may need to be expanded/completed in order to make it actually useful.
Activity: 194
Merit: 67
'Bitcoin signature chain' & '1 pixel inscriptions'
These first experimental models are like cars that consume 40 gallons / 100 miles.
There will be people who will optimize the "mining-heater", I think  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
The article even explains it costs him more money than using natural gas for heating.

It may be the greenest kind of heat around
No it's not. Unless you're otherwise using "dumb" electric resistor heating to heat your house, using electricity (without heat pump) wastes much more coal/gas/anything at the power plant than using that fuel directly to heat your house, because the power plant's efficiency is far from 100%.

If you want to be efficient: use excess heat from the power plant in block heating.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
Although  you can really heat your home with bitcoin mining, this is not the most efficient way to produce heat as its consume a lot more energy than a normal heater.

And in particular "Bitcoin will not survive the coming winter". Both of these are wrong.

About this, it is not going to the winter all over the world at the same time. Bitcoin is not even mainly mined in Europe, and it is going to be mined anyway in other places while it is winter in Europe and Europeans are living their gas crisis with Russia.
Bitcoin isn't a waste of electricity
People who are not involved in Bitcoin see it this way. Now if they hear that you can heat your home and earn money, maybe they will be inerested  Smiley
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
Bitcoin isn't a waste of electricity regardless if you can heat your home with it or not. Because in the first place, something being a "waste" of electricity is totally subjective. If you think that Bitcoin is useless, then of course you'd think that it's a waste of electricity, and vice versa. The same reason that I could also think that wasting electricity on stuff like televisions is a waste of electricity, while some would say otherwise.
Just read this:

By lately some people have been claiming that "Bitcoin's power consumption is a central point of failure - someone can just switch off the electricity and all miners stop". And in particular "Bitcoin will not survive the coming winter". Both of these are wrong.

NotATether is right, look here:

Heating My Home with Crypto Mining
https://medium.com/swlh/heating-my-home-with-crypto-mining-137d2a29b62a
It may be the greenest kind of heat around

Is crypto mining the next home heating trend?
https://capital.com/is-crypto-mining-the-next-home-heating-trend

HOW TO HEAT YOUR HOME WITH BITCOIN MINING
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/how-to-heat-your-home-with-bitcoin-mining

EDIT:
Repurposing Bitcoin mining heat can solve global energy crisis: Arcane

While innovations in chipset manufacturing have helped reduce operational costs related to Bitcoin mining, a report from Arcane reveals the market’s potential to transform the energy industry.  Shocked

source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/repurposing-bitcoin-mining-heat-can-solve-global-energy-crisis-arcane
Pages:
Jump to: