Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoind alternative - for server - page 2. (Read 2659 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 107
March 08, 2014, 10:18:21 AM
So, my question is, what wallet and account solution mining pools use? What software cryptsy, btc-e and bitstamp use?

custom stuff. it's not easy/cheap to have 100% security. there is no account solution. you have bitcoind which generates N addresses. then you have your own account database and do a 1:1 mapping. move is a simple as doing an update on your own database.

Sure, I could build everything by myself, but there are many problems such as data integrity between my app and wallet software, HUGE number of problems with non-atomic functionality, etc.

I don't understand - what are the details? no bitcoin transaction is atomic for small latencies. what kind of micropayments?? bitcoind has not implemented micropayments, only bitcoinj. I've not seen anybody using it.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
March 08, 2014, 09:27:33 AM
Yes, it is not optimal in managing accounts. But still provides better/faster solution to custom solution with limited human resources.
I am trying to implement online service which needs user accounts and access to bitcoin network.
I have to know unconfirmed balance of each customer and I need to know confirmed balance of each customer. I need to be able to link addresses to transactions. I need micropayments (the bitcoind provides move command).
Coinbase or blockchain.info are not suitable, because they do not have as good APIs as I need and it would take 3 coinbase-accounts-per-customer design to achieve the same functionality as minconf parameter in bitcoind API provides - coinbase do not provide such thing directly. blockchain.info does, but does not provide microtransactions. Those services provide high level presentation APIs, not tools for app development.
And I do not want to be dependent on third party APIs.
Sure, I could build everything by myself, but there are many problems such as data integrity between my app and wallet software, HUGE number of problems with non-atomic functionality, etc.

So, my question is, what wallet and account solution mining pools use? What software cryptsy, btc-e and bitstamp use?
Activity: 140
Merit: 107
March 08, 2014, 08:54:51 AM
accounts might be removed altogether. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve/what the problem is. you can try btcd, but it's not widely used in production AFAIK. it works pretty smoothly and has websockets for example. Supporting alternative implementations is probably not even a good idea, but clearly this is how things should be. bitcoind is one monolithic blob.

I think current state of affairs with bitcoind is very sub-optimal in many ways. just shows how young this project really is. it would help if there where more developers. I don't understand what people are working on. I mean there isn't even proper documentation and install scripts. The core devs have other things to do, and there are not many supporting devs.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
March 08, 2014, 08:30:33 AM
I think (subjectively) bitcoind does well at the network protocol but does not so well at managing all the data. The data can be more structured thus easier for use rather than being raw, but then the data would take up more disk space, which would push bitcoind farther away from personal desktop use. I have heard (but not actually tried to test it myself) some people have customized the bitcoind so that it can be used only as a network filter that handles all the inbound/outbound network messages, wallets and accounts managements are handled by homemade utilities.
March 08, 2014, 07:37:19 AM
no ideas?
March 07, 2014, 11:30:42 PM
Hi, I am looking for bitcoind alternative for server app. It should have RPC API and similar functions as bitcoind - accounts and transaction functions, address functions, everything accessible in specific account. (account has many addresses and transactions, etc).
Which wallet do mining pools use?

bitcoinJ is not suitable for server:
All transactions that were ever relevant to the wallet are loaded into memory, all the time, and re-written every time the wallet is saved. ... the algorithms used for selecting coins and working with unspent transactions have quadratic time complexity or worse. In time we'll probably switch to a log structured wallet file format to solve this.
source: https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/wiki/Limitations

bitcoind is nightmare:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2703 - yeah, documented command which does not work as documented. Why not? Worse is, this makes use of bitcoind accounts potentially dangerous because one can not easily implement check balance and move atomically.
Semaphore can be used (php, does not work on Windows) http://www.re-cycledair.com/php-dark-arts-semaphores
On Windows, blocking can be implemented: https://locallost.net/?p=1091
But, both methods have impact on performance.
No watching only waller support (without impractical workarounds)

Thank you.
Pages:
Jump to: