Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoind is too heavy - page 2. (Read 6669 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
July 18, 2012, 07:45:47 PM
Running a lightweight client on a server would certainly help in these situations, providing you trust the lightweight validation method.

no really, cause you do get 612mb of ram, it is the amount of time you get on the CPU is not ever much
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
July 18, 2012, 07:41:58 PM
Running a lightweight client on a server would certainly help in these situations, providing you trust the lightweight validation method.
legendary
July 18, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
Well, see that's the problem, while downloading the block chain, load was fine (and if it wasnt, who cares it's only a few hours). But it's only since the whole blockchain was downloaded that the bitcoind started performing badly.

And it performs badly in a weird way, peaking other processes CPU % too... so I'm just guessing there's some kind of throttling going on...

as i explained before you have a short time on the cpu, so that is why your getting weird readings, and it looks like it is bloated. tldr AWS micro is the problem not bitcoind
Activity: 725
Merit: 500
July 18, 2012, 07:14:17 PM
Well, see that's the problem, while downloading the block chain, load was fine (and if it wasnt, who cares it's only a few hours). But it's only since the whole blockchain was downloaded that the bitcoind started performing badly.

And it performs badly in a weird way, peaking other processes CPU % too... so I'm just guessing there's some kind of throttling going on...
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1149
July 18, 2012, 06:56:51 PM
One trick with EC2 is to take your EBS store for your micro instance, deassociate it, reassociate it as the root partition of a more powerful instance, and use that to get the blockchain verification done in a reasonable amount of time. Then you can move the partition back to the micro-instance, which in my experience is still adequate for the current transaction load.

Equally, do the blockchain verification on your own computer then copy it (the .bitcoin directory) to the EC2 instance.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
July 18, 2012, 06:48:33 PM
The EC2 micro instance is crap for running anything remotely intensive.

You could just use it for a tunnel for your internet browsing. Smiley
July 18, 2012, 06:17:29 PM
Well, on my Atom running an older version of bitcoin it takes 4% CPU! So either the latest bitcoin is bloated or aws is completely underpowered. And since I run my own java app server on it, and it's really fast and only uses like 3% CPU under load I'm leaning towards the first option.

What in the verification is so CPU intense?
legendary
July 18, 2012, 06:09:12 PM
see the problem isn't that you need a lightweight server, it is that problem that AWS gives you short burst of CPU time and downloading the blockchain and verifying is CPU intensive so anyway you approach it, it probably wouldn't work without upgrading your plan, or getting a VPS.
July 18, 2012, 05:37:26 PM
I tried running bitcoind on AWS EC2 micro instance, it doesen't work. CPU is throttling and memory is swapping.

So is there any lightweight implementation of the bitcoin server?

Otherwise I'll just have to hack bitcoinj to act as a server, simply by adding the JSON-RPC parts, that would work no?
Pages:
Jump to: