Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoins Can Inflate Too - Stop worrying about deflation. - page 2. (Read 12311 times)

legendary
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Why would I want to deposit bitcoins in a bank in the first place?
There could be a lot of reasons. One would be if you don't want to run the Bitcoin client to send Bitcoins, don't want to go through the hassle of having a paper wallet, and are concerned about security. Another would be if the bank could provide you with additional services, such as being able to exchange your bitcoins at any time without waiting an hour for confirmations.

Why buy more security? There already is enough! Exchange services I would buy though. But that doesn't permit fractional reserve banking, since deposits only stay with the bank for very little time.

But the reason I bring it up is to address an argument whose premises I don't agree with. If you think bitcoins are inevitably going to deflate and if you think that's going to present a problem, then the solution will be fractional reserve banking.

I think bitcoins are going to deflate but I don't think this is a problem. On the contrary, it is a valuable property to me.

A crisis that an economy might suffer from time to time. I didn't know that as a depositor I could be obliged to be reimbursed in anything of value other than what the original deposit was.
This is silly. A crisis is, by definition, a rare event. In a crisis, you might get paid in gold rather than bitcoins, but you wouldn't lose a penny. Oh, that's awful! Forget this entire economic plan because it can't give me bitcoins in the event of nuclear war. Are you serious?

All I said is I didn't know. I am living in a big crisis right now, that of Greece Smiley
Rest assured that if you had to live through something like that, you would take it more seriously than a rare event.
My former employer wished me "happy poverty" when he fired me!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Mt Gox is not a bank, it's an exchange.
Mt Gox is an exchange, but it also provides service beyond just allowing you to exchange currencies. It also serves as a wallet for many people, which is akin to a bank.

Why would I want to deposit bitcoins in a bank in the first place?
There could be a lot of reasons. One would be if you don't want to run the Bitcoin client to send Bitcoins, don't want to go through the hassle of having a paper wallet, and are concerned about security. Another would be if the bank could provide you with additional services, such as being able to exchange your bitcoins at any time without waiting an hour for confirmations.

But the reason I bring it up is to address an argument whose premises I don't agree with. If you think bitcoins are inevitably going to deflate and if you think that's going to present a problem, then the solution will be fractional reserve banking. In the event of some incredible global catastrophe, the bank can pay you back with other assets greater in value than the bitcoins they owe you. Boo hoo. If deflation is a crisis, then this miniscule "risk" is negligible if we can avert a crisis just by taking it.

If people would avoid a currency just because it had this kind of risk, nobody would use any national currencies. They have inflation risk.

A crisis that an economy might suffer from time to time. I didn't know that as a depositor I could be obliged to be reimbursed in anything of value other than what the original deposit was.
This is silly. A crisis is, by definition, a rare event. In a crisis, you might get paid in gold rather than bitcoins, but you wouldn't lose a penny. Oh, that's awful! Forget this entire economic plan because it can't give me bitcoins in the event of nuclear war. Are you serious?
legendary
Is fractional reserve banking even possible with bitcoin? When banks make loans, they create money out of thin air, which is not possible long term with bitcoin.

It's quite possible. You just deposit bitcoins at a "bank" and they tell you that you have a particular bitcoin balance, just like Mt Gox does. They then don't hold that number of bitcoins but instead back their holdings with some other currency or asset.

Mt Gox is not a bank, it's an exchange. Why would I want to deposit bitcoins in a bank in the first place?

I mean, when the crisis time comes (which it will), who will save the "too big to fail" banks? No government can print bitcoins in order to save them.
What kind of crisis are you talking about? A government wouldn't have to print bitcoins, all you have to do is reimburse depositors in any currency. If some bank holds 50,000 bitcoins for you, you have no legal basis to care whether they pay you back in bitcoins, dollars, or gold. So long as they have assets to equal the currency they hold, they can still make you whole.

I think deflation is the only way bitcoin can go, even with the occasional hiccup upwards that should be expected in any market.
If that's not what the market wants, and nobody passes any laws or uses any force, then that won't happen. Market substitutes for bitcoin will just be introduced to compensate.

You are right about this.
legendary
Is fractional reserve banking even possible with bitcoin? When banks make loans, they create money out of thin air, which is not possible long term with bitcoin.
It's quite possible. You just deposit bitcoins at a "bank" and they tell you that you have a particular bitcoin balance, just like Mt Gox does. They then don't hold that number of bitcoins but instead back their holdings with some other currency or asset.

I mean, when the crisis time comes (which it will), who will save the "too big to fail" banks? No government can print bitcoins in order to save them.
What kind of crisis are you talking about? A government wouldn't have to print bitcoins, all you have to do is reimburse depositors in any currency. If some bank holds 50,000 bitcoins for you, you have no legal basis to care whether they pay you back in bitcoins, dollars, or gold. So long as they have assets to equal the currency they hold, they can still make you whole.

I think deflation is the only way bitcoin can go, even with the occasional hiccup upwards that should be expected in any market.
If that's not what the market wants, and nobody passes any laws or uses any force, then that won't happen. Market substitutes for bitcoin will just be introduced to compensate.
legendary
The year is 2030. People revolted and threw the feds out. Everyone pays in bitcoins, woo! But all the 21 million bitcoins have being mined already.

An apple sells for 0.05 BTC. The average hourly wage is 1 bitcoin. Everyone's happy.

Someone loses their coins. The world population grows. Now the average hourly wage is only 0.9 bitcoins! People stop buying apples as much as they did before.

An apple now sells for 0.045 BTC. Everyone's happy again.

But then people realize that just by holding bitcoins and not buying, they are actually becoming richer! Plus, someone loses their wallet again, and the world population grows. Now the average hourly wage is 0.8 bitcoins from the natural deflation, and people start putting 1/4 of their wage into a coin store wallet to become richer. The apple farmer realizes less and less people are buying apples, and have to lower the price. And then people knows that if they don't buy something, they will have more buying power tomorrow.

So nearly nobody buys things. The world economy collapses. Then some corporation called the Federal Reserve comes, 'hey, here's our fiat!'.

Right?

WRONG.

This will not happen because of fractional reserve banking.

Alice deposits 1 bitcoin into the bank.
Bob deposits 10 bitcoins into the bank.
> Coins in bank: 11 bitcoins

Carpenter borrows 5 bitcoins to start up a new business.
> Coins in bank: 6 bitcoins

Don't see the problem?

Alice sees her statement with 1 bitcoin.
Bob sees his statement with 10 bitcoins.
Carpenter sees his wallet with 5 bitcoins.

Kaboom. Inflation. Fractional reserve banking will *save* us from a deflationary spiral.

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
lol justusranvier I wouldn't bother trying to go after and change the mind of people like Hyena's teacher
I agree, which is why you don't engage in the pretence of a debate with them.
legendary
Activity: 1540
lol justusranvier I wouldn't bother trying to go after and change the mind of people like Hyena's teacher because I met his type lots of times during my school years, all they're interested in is teaching what's on the textbook and making grades higher even if the entire textbook is completely wrong. I'm looking forward to when people like him try to argue against Bitcoin because Bitcoin is made entirely from math and people always, always look stupid when they try to argue against math.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
The guy then told me I'd be stupid if I bought gas knowing that it would be cheaper tomorrow and completely ignored me saying "If I need something today I won't be waiting for tomorrow". The argument ended with the lecturer asking me if I now think deflation is bad and me answering "this topic needs a lecture of its own".
No, actually it doesn't deserve a lecture of its own. It doesn't even deserve to be elevated to the status of a serious discussion.

Somebody who says that falling princes means that nobody will buy anything is one of two things: 1) either so mentally deficient that trying to have a debate with them would be cruel, like racing somebody in leg braces, or 2) actively engaging in deception.

Either way a debate is not appropriate.

At most you might want to ask the person if people actually buy iPhones and computers, and if he knows what happens to the prices of those items over time.
legendary
And how about the opposite? If deflation implies currency hoarding and delaying purchases, inflation implies early purchasing and hoarding of supplies, consequently pushing the price up for everyone else.
Right. If we have inflation, why would a gas station sell me any gas today when he knows he can sell me that same gas tomorrow for more money?

The simple fact is, whether we value gas in terms of a basket of commodities, ounces of gold, an inflationary currency, or a deflationary currency, gas is worth more to me than it is to the gas station. And so long as there's no particular reason either of values a currency *differently*, we can use that currency to trade gasoline. If we both think the currency will be worth more tomorrow, we can both take that into account and agree to exchange less currency because we'd both like to hold the currency.

The properties of the currency, so long as it is predictable and affects both parties equally, will have no effect on whether the parties are willing to trade or not.
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
The guy then told me I'd be stupid if I bought gas knowing that it would be cheaper tomorrow and completely ignored me saying "If I need something today I won't be waiting for tomorrow".

The better counter-argument is this: The guying trying to sell me gas also knows it will be cheaper tomorrow, so he'll do whatever he has to do to get me to buy it today.

But even so, would it really matter much if he filled his tank tomorrow, rather than today?

Can we expect that somebody prefers a pile of money to a higher standard of living? Of course not.

Prices are never stable anyway. Today we have important parts of the economy that have rapidly rising prices and are therefore inflationary, but we also already have sectors that are highly deflationary, like computers, smartphones, etc. According to the anti-deflation preachers nobody would ever buy anything like that, because next year you could buy the same thing for much less money or a much better one for the same money. According to them, this sector would perish due to lack of buyers, because everybody would always wait until tomorrow.

What happens instead in these sectors is a very good, living example for a deflationary economy. Does anybody have any problems with this? No. Do they florish? Yes, nicely.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 2245
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
And how about the opposite? If deflation implies currency hoarding and delaying purchases, inflation implies early purchasing and hoarding of supplies, consequently pushing the price up for everyone else.
legendary
The guy then told me I'd be stupid if I bought gas knowing that it would be cheaper tomorrow and completely ignored me saying "If I need something today I won't be waiting for tomorrow".
The better counter-argument is this: The guy trying to sell me gas also knows it will be cheaper tomorrow, so he'll do whatever he has to do to get me to buy it today.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
21 million bitcoins is way too low for a whole world economy to use
That would be true if there were only 21 million bitcoins, but that's not the actual limit. There will be 21000000.00000000 bitcoins. That's plenty for a world economy.

Most of those decimal numbers can't be used, they worth almost nothing, if they worth something more than a penny, then it's a problem: we will pay more than pennys for every transaction.
Conclusion: stills small for a whole world economy.

Transaction fee can be easily changed, I can send a transaction right now with 0 fee anyway. In fact there are already discussions to modify the minimum transaction fee.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1015
Yes, we have 4 types:
hyper inflation - bad
hyper deflation - worse
inflation - evil
deflation - fair enough

The dudes saying deflation is bad always describe "hyper deflation" without saying the word "hyper".
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
A sudden bout of deflation is bad, because most of the economy would grind to a halt.

But a gentle course into a slight and stable deflation is an entirely different matter.
legendary
One of my teachers during the course of software economics pretty much started the course with comparing inflation and deflation. And he told the classical explanation of why deflation is a bad thing (also mentioning Japan at some point during the last century), then came to a conclusion that even if inflation is a bad thing deflation is even worse and then asked the class if anyone thought it's not all bad. Obviously I was the only one raising my hand and telling him that it's not that simple and deflation can still be good. The guy then told me I'd be stupid if I bought gas knowing that it would be cheaper tomorrow and completely ignored me saying "If I need something today I won't be waiting for tomorrow". The argument ended with the lecturer asking me if I now think deflation is bad and me answering "this topic needs a lecture of its own".

A couple of days ago I sent him this article of someone explaining why deflation isn't all bad. I also told him that next time when explaining deflation and inflation he might want to consider taking a rather neutral stand on that topic. Cool
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
Anything that makes people want to hold onto bitcoins more also makes others want to encourage them to part with bitcoins more.

This.  I'll repeat it for emphasis.

Anything that makes people want to hold onto bitcoins more also makes others want to encourage them to part with bitcoins more.

If I were granted one wish, and one wish only, it would be that 100% of the kids in the world learn and understand the concept of a dynamic equilibrium by the time they leave school.  If you don't understand this concept, you make all sorts of silly posts on the internet about how some system or another will run off to infinity.

However, if you do understand this concept, like JoelKatz clearly does, you can see how nearly everything in the world around you is a balance between opposing forces, and instantly spot the correcting feedback that others can't see.

If you are still fuzzy on the concept, ask yourself how many people are going to starve to death while waiting for their bitcoins to buy 10% more food tomorrow.
legendary
But then people realize that just by holding bitcoins and not buying, they are actually becoming richer! Plus, someone loses their wallet again, and the world population grows. Now the average hourly wage is 0.8 bitcoins from the natural deflation, and people start putting 1/4 of their wage into a coin store wallet to become richer. The apple farmer realizes less and less people are buying apples, and have to lower the price. And then people knows that if they don't buy something, they will have more buying power tomorrow.

So nearly nobody buys things. The world economy collapses.
This is nonsense. A trade occurs because a product or service is worth more to one person than another. If an apple is worth .9 bitcoins to you and 1 bitcoin to me, then it makes sense for us to exchange apples at some price between .9 and 1 bitcoin. It makes no difference what the expected future values of bitcoins are because that affects how I value the apple, how you value the apple, how I value the bitcoins, and how you value the bitcoins equally. If I valued the apple more in gold, I'd also value it more in bitcoins, and so I'd still want to buy it from you, whether for gold or bitcoins.

As a simpler way to explain it: Anything that makes people want to hold onto bitcoins more also makes others want to encourage them to part with bitcoins more. So it perfectly cancels out.
legendary
Let's say I made a transaction and I didn't give any transaction fees. Also, people make so many transactions that miners simply don't have time to deal with the ones that have no fees attached.

I still made my transaction but it is not getting any confirmations for days.. for weeks.. for months.. What can I do to get that transaction confirmed?

Maybe it would be wise to make a bitcoin service that could confirm any pending transaction for a small payment?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
We all know that BTC can't bee the only one crypto-currency.
21 million bitcoins is way too low for a whole world economy to use, and a few other reasons make BTC unable to work as the only one.

The real base unit of bitcoin is the satoshi and there will be 2.1e+15 satoshis in circulation by the time all btc has been mined. Surely 2.1e+15 is enough units of currency.
Pages:
Jump to: