Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin's function 5, 10, 20 years from now - page 2. (Read 187 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 34
December 30, 2023, 11:18:03 PM
I guess I'm more thinking of the non-extreme cases like above (highly unlikely use case for developed nations).  Namely, what do you think of it, not as ETF or investment, rather as a medium for exchange in everyday life, in side-by-side existence with the USD or EUR for instance.

BTC as an investment feels empty to me, unless it has a strong functional case as an actual currency.
If Bitcoin is nothing as an investment, it is like it has no value.

If it has no value, it can not be used as a medium of exchange daily because nobody will want to make a trade deal and in return, will receive something that has no value. If you want it to be used more, it must has value as a mandatory condition.

Of course.  I'm saying that I can't see it as an investment/store-of-value in and of itself, divorced from it's utility as a means of exchange.  Whether its first valuable asset, then thereby usable for exchanges or vice-versa is academic.

If you want to move a big fund, Bitcoin blockchain is for you, because transaction fee will not be your issue and transactions on Bitcoin blockchain is much safer than bank transfer.
This is getting more to the crux of it.  How quantifiably "unsafe" is a bank transfer (now and in the future)?  I understand the argument for having lower transaction costs and much faster, but safety isn't nearly as intuitive to me.  Unless by safety you're referring to potential freezing of an account if flagged as suspicious by gov't?

Further, if BTC is the better method of payment for the $10k+ transfers, then what is holding it back from being more mainstream now, and what needs to take place to unlock this?  I appreciate your thoughts.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 831
December 30, 2023, 10:47:38 PM
I guess I'm more thinking of the non-extreme cases like above (highly unlikely use case for developed nations).  Namely, what do you think of it, not as ETF or investment, rather as a medium for exchange in everyday life, in side-by-side existence with the USD or EUR for instance.

BTC as an investment feels empty to me, unless it has a strong functional case as an actual currency.
If Bitcoin is nothing as an investment, it is like it has no value.

If it has no value, it can not be used as a medium of exchange daily because nobody will want to make a trade deal and in return, will receive something that has no value. If you want it to be used more, it must has value as a mandatory condition.

It can be used globally, cross borders, cross nations now but as a currency for daily fund transfer, for everyone, it is not for now because of mempool congestion and very costly transaction fee for small value transaction.

If you want to move a big fund, Bitcoin blockchain is for you, because transaction fee will not be your issue and transactions on Bitcoin blockchain is much safer than bank transfer.

By big fund, I meant $10,000+

How many Bitcoin confirmations is enough?
1 confirmation: sufficient for small payments less than $1,000.

3 confirmations: for payments $1,000 - $10,000. Most exchanges require 3 confirmations for deposits.

6 confirmations: good for large payments between $10,000 - $1,000,000. Six is standard for most transactions to be considered secure.

10 confirmations: suggested for large payments greater than $1,000,000.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1860
December 30, 2023, 10:39:33 PM
5 years from, I think nothing much will change. Perhaps the only big thing is that it is already embraced by banks, wealth managers, investment companies, and other traditional finance players.

As far as everyday life is concerned, I think Bitcoin will become more acceptable in stores, shops, restaurants, hotels, and so on, whether through an online transaction or not. But I think Bitcoin will remain to be the least option as payment. Cash, cards, and other payment modes will probably remain as the top options.

It seems to me that Bitcoin is more inclined to grow as an asset class than as a currency, although I'm also seeing Bitcoin as the top choice in the coming decades as far as transferring huge value across borders is concerned.
December 30, 2023, 10:29:28 PM
I see Bitcoin is already matured enough and people already used it a lot in society.

There are open spaces for Bitcoin to grow more with more chances to invade deeper in society if regulations will not become barriers for it. It is not coincidence that people in the market are very fomo and speculative that if SEC. approve Bitcoin Spot ETFs in 2024, Bitcoin will have massive growth like after Gold ETF was approved about 20 years ago.

Did you read this book?
The bullish case for Bitcoin.

You can read it online with above link but if you love paper book, you can order and buy it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Bullish-Case-Bitcoin-Vijay-Boyapati/dp/1737204118

I skimmed it.  Feels more of a philosophical appeal than practical (short of the examples of hyperinflation and fleeing across borders).

I guess I'm more thinking of the non-extreme cases like above (highly unlikely use case for developed nations).  Namely, what do you think of it, not as ETF or investment, rather as a medium for exchange in everyday life, in side-by-side existence with the USD or EUR for instance.

Activity: 2254
Merit: 831
December 30, 2023, 10:07:24 PM
I see Bitcoin is already matured enough and people already used it a lot in society.

There are open spaces for Bitcoin to grow more with more chances to invade deeper in society if regulations will not become barriers for it. It is not coincidence that people in the market are very fomo and speculative that if SEC. approve Bitcoin Spot ETFs in 2024, Bitcoin will have massive growth like after Gold ETF was approved about 20 years ago.

Did you read this book?
The bullish case for Bitcoin.

You can read it online with above link but if you love paper book, you can order and buy it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Bullish-Case-Bitcoin-Vijay-Boyapati/dp/1737204118
December 30, 2023, 09:42:10 PM
I'm wondering what people on here, think/hope Bitcoin to be in the near to mid-term future, let's say in the next 5,10,20 years (pick one time horizon).  Not the price, but it's role in everyday life (be it, in the U.S., developed nations in general, or globally).  Further, what roadblocks are in the way currently that has to be cleared to get to there?

I want to leave this very open-ended and hear the thoughts of the very smart people here. 
Pages:
Jump to: