Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcointalk and reflinks: don't produce refspam, please - page 2. (Read 597 times)

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
If someone is going to use a service and a poster provides them a link to the website with their ref link I don't see it as a problem.  Someone gets paid a small amount for showing someone to a service.  OF course the newbie account spammers that are just posting ref links with no request is totally different.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5634
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
There is nothing strange to see newbies post referral links in posts, some of them register on forum just for that purpose, post as much as they can before they get nuked. But when I see older members to do same thing, I know something is wrong with that account - the account was purchased and Hero / Legendary is just newbie, or member is spend years on this forum and he never read the rules.

Although the moderators delete posts with ref links, or just remove such links - I notice that in some boards people post referrals links without problems, and all my report of such posts are Unhandled for months.

For example, this user is posting his ref link in every post, hidden behind banner - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=881042.6740
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
Good stuff and good suggestion.
Not all ref links are allowed if you are promoted the untrustworthy brand under your profile you might get a flag or negative feedback.
Correct, better be careful.

In addition to the OP post,

Due to excessive garbage-posting, you now need 1 merit to be a Jr Member. All existing Jr Members who didn't meet the requirement were demoted. Also, newbies can no longer set any signature or personal text.

Edit: Quite I'm late reply than this with the same thought. Cheesy Wink
[1] Go to PROFILE >> Forum Profile Information >> Personal Text.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 3612
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
I think it is allowed for members to place links in their "Personal Text,[1]" and this may be the best strategy for getting money if your posts are high quality.

Also, I will not click on the links if it is from a SPAM member but I will do if it is from an active member who provides help and solve the problem that is facing me. Cheesy

[1] Go to PROFILE >> Forum Profile Information >> Personal Text.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Maybe some knowledge quiz/test that will let them register only if they first read the rules, and then pass the test.

AFAIK, theymos has been considering something along those lines. A welcome message for brand new members was suggested and admin also came up with a sample of what it could look like, and also suggestions were made on the thread.
Last time I checked it had not yet been implemented.
Maybe some knowledge quiz/test that will let them register only if they first read the rules, and then pass the test.

AFAIK, theymos has been considering something along those lines. A welcome message for brand new members was suggested and admin also came up with a sample of what it could look like, and also suggestions were made on the thread.

Thank you!
I posted some ideas there in hope of activating this question yet again
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 2169
Professional Community manager

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Nice easy guide!

I am still thinking what is the best way for newbies when they register to read basic rules.
This is maybe one way to reduce spam.

Same could be done before newbies post from time to time with random question.
Questions could be forum and Bitcoin related.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1018
But please, don’t spam reflinks in normal posts, better use the strategies described above. Refspam is annoying and not allowed. And if you are abusing these strategies to produce sigspam / spam to refer to your reflink in your profile you’ll also get a problem. Better be careful  Smiley
For user interest, they should not add ref links in their posts, and spam them around. This strategy will cause account bans (if they repeatedly spam ref-link-contained posts, and reported). This rule was added into list of unofficial rules years ago.
Forum moderation policy
[ ... ]
4. No referral code spam
[ ... ]
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 6618
Currently not much available - see my websitelink
When dealing with cryptocurrencies you'll hear about so-called reflinks very soon. Reflinks, often also known as referral links or affiliate links, are customized links leading to a page where you can register to use a service. It’s possible to receive your own reflink from the website of the service, if you are logged in to your account. If you are sharing your reflink now, other users click on it, and then sign in to this service, the person whose reflink was used (you) will get a small commission for referring this new user.
Reflinks are different from normal links where the person sharing the reflink receives a small commission and reflinks are usually also visible in the link, often the link contains an individual letter / number combination or an username.

Therefore, reflinks are very popular, because the "owner" of the reflinks can earn a bit by sharing it. Unfortunately, this fact often results to so-called "Refspam" that reflinks are posted everywhere to get users who sign up via this reflink. Because of this, Bitcointalk has a rule to prevent "ref-spam":

4. No referral code (ref link) spam.
Source: Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ

If you post reflinks, your posts will be deleted, and if someone is systematically repeating refspam posts, it may even end up in a (temporary) ban.
Therefore, you should always be careful and avoid posting reflinks.
There are some exceptions, where reflinks could be tolerated like if you are including it in a very informative reply / description which adds value, a site owner who wants to track traffic coming from Bitcointalk or similar where it's very clear that it's no ref-spam.

When in doubt you should avoid getting troube, better follow the rules and use legal ways how you can use reflinks in Bitcointalk:

1.) Reflinks in your signature

It is allowed to use reflinks in your own signature. In order to be able to wear a signature, your account has to be at least Jr. Member. But it’s not possible to click the links in signatures of Jr. Members, other users would have to copy them in the URL by themselves. In signatures of Member accounts and above, it’s possible click on links in their signatures.

It’s described in 2.) how to change your personal signature.

2.) Use reflinks as a website in your profile

Reflinks can also be linked in your own profile page and then referenced in a post. Linking a reflink in your own profile page works as following:
Choose Profile in your profile => Forum Profile Information and there you can insert your reflink at Website URL. If you like, you can select a name at Website title, which will be displayed in your profile in Website.

In Profile => Forum Profile Information you’ll find also the option to change your personal signature.

In a normal post on the forum you can point out that you have a link in your profile at "Website". It will look like that:

3. Refliks in your personal text

It's also possible to post your referral link as personal text. You can find it in your account settings, described by sheenshane here. It should work if your link is not too long because your personal text is limited and you can only use a limited number of characters.

Thanks to hugeblack for suggesting this.

I hope this little guide will help for you to avoid misunderstandings if you are honestly sharing your reflink.
But please, don’t spam reflinks in normal posts, better use the strategies described above. Refspam is annoying and not allowed. And if you are abusing these strategies to produce sigspam / spam to refer to your reflink in your profile you’ll also get a problem. Better be careful  Smiley

Languagetranslated byTitle
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Nigeria (Naija)Egii NnaBitcointalk and Reflinks: make wuna no do referral-spam, ahbeg.

Reserving new translations is currently not available.
Pages:
Jump to: