Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcointalk requesting donations? Wtf? - page 3. (Read 6704 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
December 31, 2011, 09:24:24 PM
Why donate when you know the money will be wasted?

How do you know that? Have you donated, or are you just another worthless leech here bitching about something because you have nothing to do on new year's eve?
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
December 31, 2011, 08:41:03 PM
hope to see you ppl on some kind of p2p forum in 2012, we already have Osiris around, great software btw and hope they opensource it
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
December 31, 2011, 07:39:22 PM
Why donate when you know the money will be wasted?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
December 31, 2011, 07:24:41 PM
I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great?

Who the fuck is the we.  You are a noob.  You haven't donated shit.

This forum is indispensable IMHO.  I haven't found anything that come close for getting technical answers related to the client, protocol, mining, etc.

If you think otherwise then leave or don't donate.  Nobody is forcing you.  Just don't include this "we should STOP donating".  You have donated shit, your a noob, and have 4 posts.
+1
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
December 31, 2011, 07:22:09 PM
I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great?

Who the fuck is the we.  You are a noob.  You haven't donated shit.

This forum is indispensable IMHO.  I haven't found anything that come close for getting technical answers related to the client, protocol, mining, etc.

If you think otherwise then leave or don't donate.  Nobody is forcing you.  Just don't include this "we should STOP donating".  You have donated shit, your a noob, and have 4 posts.
legendary
December 31, 2011, 07:05:22 PM
It is for development of new custom forum software. I can't recall the thread title but theymos detailed the specs for the job in a very long post.

You want a new custom OS to run that forum on too? Perhaps a custom ARM CPU implementation to run the whole stack ?
Seriously. Why on earth reinvent the wheel?

Have to agree with the OP. Im fine with donations to cover actual costs, but as there dont seem to be any, this doesnt look too well.
+1
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Activity: 518
December 31, 2011, 06:17:05 PM
It is for development of new custom forum software. I can't recall the thread title but theymos detailed the specs for the job in a very long post.

You want a new custom OS to run that forum on too? Perhaps a custom ARM CPU implementation to run the whole stack ?
Seriously. Why on earth reinvent the wheel?

Have to agree with the OP. Im fine with donations to cover actual costs, but as there dont seem to be any, this doesnt look too well.
legendary
Activity: 1190
www.bitcointrading.com
December 31, 2011, 06:06:34 PM
Anyone can ask for donations, at least they don't beg with 1/3 of the screen like wikipedia.  Once the donations are piled up high enough, I imagine some new forum software will be built, but I can't see the software being better than the free BB soft out there like phpBB.
legendary
December 31, 2011, 05:47:29 PM
Better that i don't ask why this forum isn't phpbb or vbulletin

Better that i don't ask why they want to make a new forum from 0 too...
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
December 31, 2011, 05:23:21 PM
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
December 31, 2011, 05:18:25 PM
Hello noobs,

According to Bitcointalk's donation page they've pulled in roughly ~620BTC from donations alone. On this same page it states that they recieve free hosting and the donations go to 'development of the forum'. I dont know about you guys but I dont see anything on this forum thats not on every other single forum that runs this software.. So if they're a non-profit I'd really like to see the paperwork on that because they have to account for all donations and report it to future donors. Also, If you've ever run an advertisement on Bitcointalk you know how expensive it is.

I'm just wondering where all this money goes? If your costs are $0 .. and you've taken in atleast $1k in donations .. and there have been no improvements on the forum .. How is that a non profit?
 I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great? 30% of it is flame wars and trolling. A wise man once said on IRC 'The forums are full of cancer and scammers'.

Cordially Yours,
James L (rg @ freenode)

Cool story bro. Personally, I think they should spend the money on getting all mods and staff some liquor for putting up with the ass-hattery that goes on here. I think I owe them all a beer for putting up with me and the rest of the off-topic/trollin' crew...PM me an address, gentlemen...

I agree. I would have donated 100BTC by now if Theymos would just use some existing forum software. This whole "make a new one from scratch" idea is asinine, as is not changing it to a new one and slowly making additions himself for free.
Activity: 448
December 31, 2011, 05:15:14 PM
Hello noobs,

According to Bitcointalk's donation page they've pulled in roughly ~620BTC from donations alone. On this same page it states that they recieve free hosting and the donations go to 'development of the forum'. I dont know about you guys but I dont see anything on this forum thats not on every other single forum that runs this software.. So if they're a non-profit I'd really like to see the paperwork on that because they have to account for all donations and report it to future donors. Also, If you've ever run an advertisement on Bitcointalk you know how expensive it is.

I'm just wondering where all this money goes? If your costs are $0 .. and you've taken in atleast $1k in donations .. and there have been no improvements on the forum .. How is that a non profit?
 I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great? 30% of it is flame wars and trolling. A wise man once said on IRC 'The forums are full of cancer and scammers'.

Cordially Yours,
James L (rg @ freenode)

Cool story bro. Personally, I think they should spend the money on getting all mods and staff some liquor for putting up with the ass-hattery that goes on here. I think I owe them all a beer for putting up with me and the rest of the off-topic/trollin' crew...PM me an address, gentlemen...
Activity: 406
Merit: 251
December 31, 2011, 05:06:01 PM
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
December 31, 2011, 05:03:30 PM
All donations are being saved for major forum software work. The only money ever drawn from savings was 25 BTC for hosting before the current hosting arrangements were made.

According to Bitcointalk's donation page they've pulled in roughly ~620BTC from donations alone.

This also includes ad revenue. I send all forum revenue to the donation address.

So if they're a non-profit I'd really like to see the paperwork on that because they have to account for all donations and report it to future donors.

The forum is not a registered non-profit organization, or any kind of "official" organization for that matter. You'll have to take the word of the administration that no one makes any profit off of the forum.
Activity: 419
December 31, 2011, 04:48:33 PM
I believe you are missing the point of my post. Next.
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
December 31, 2011, 04:44:26 PM
there have been some posts about this before. it was something about this forum lacks features and stuff.
try use the search function.
Activity: 419
December 31, 2011, 04:24:03 PM
Hello noobs,

Cordially Yours,
James L (rg @ freenode)
Pages:
Jump to: