Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfinex Offers $3.5 Million Bounty for Stolen Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 2258 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030
give me your cryptos
The Hacker(s) most probably now have a strong incentive to get rid of their bitcoin ASAP. They could more easy than not just go onto the dark web and do a trade there, no trace of identity.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
Where is that rex hacker guy now?
If some one can track him down from his alternative accounts then they would be a rich man from Bitfinex.
Looks like they got alot of funds fast to put together such an amount in the prize bounty.  Undecided

If you're referring to rekcahxfb, he most likely wasn't the hacker... Cheesy
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
EtherSphere - Social Games
Where is that rex hacker guy now?
If some one can track him down from his alternative accounts then they would be a rich man from Bitfinex.
Looks like they got alot of funds fast to put together such an amount in the prize bounty.  Undecided
legendary
so did they lose this coin through a simple address collision or what?

The coins were hacked... a collision is practically impossible.
Activity: 430
Merit: 253
VeganAcademy
so did they lose this coin through a simple address collision or what?

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
I don't think bitfinex expects anything from the hacker who stole its millions. Like in a bank robbery, where the police expects information from a witness.  Since hacking is silent and invisible (think one guy in his bedroom), their only chance is from a neighbor, or a relative, who suddenly sees the strange guy who was never going out, always staying in front of his computer, buying a Ferrari and hanging around with stacks of banknotes in his pocket.
Activity: 280
It's nice to see how bitfinex fight to stay alive, they asked for help  from people week ago, now they offer this high reward for finding coins.

they are not doing it for charity. they want to save their asses. your post sounds like they doing something generous. don not be fooled. they lost money and it is their job to recover it. also i am sure once they have it there will be no more mr nice guy.
Activity: 742
It could also be that they are hoping that the hacker will return the coins in return for the 5%.

The hackers "loses" a lot in a deal like that, but it makes moving the coins a lot easier for him. Also, it basically removes a huge mark from his back.

We don't know what the reasons behind the hack are (most likely money), but if it is ideological, the coins might reach home with an offer like this.

The hacker could also likely negotiate a higher price than 5%. PGP has already stated that sure they would offer 5% but im guessing they'd be willing to go as higher, something like 25% judging by how he said it. 

i think this is mostly as a show to public.
they want to show that they are trying their best to find the hacker and take back the funds (good luck with that) but it is mostly because they have just started their business again and they want people to trust them again. so they say anything.

I agree.Don't believe in them. They are just want to run again and have some profit. If they really telling the truth that they had been hacked and willing to pay that amount for bounty, why they shouldn't  give the bounty to those traders that have been lost a lot of btc in their site.? And i think no one will believe in them because what happened. There are a lot of trusted trading site out there so why we must gamble to invest in their platform again. This is a joke.
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 1174
Good luck wit this. 3.5 million dollars looks tempting, but I doubt coins will be found. It's nice to see how bitfinex fight to stay alive, they asked for help  from people week ago, now they offer this high reward for finding coins.
It's gonna be interesting to see how will this situation develop in the future,  can someone really find this coins? And is it possible for coins to disappear without any trace?
I doubt in this, but let's see what will happen before we make any conclusions.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
It could also be that they are hoping that the hacker will return the coins in return for the 5%.

The hackers "loses" a lot in a deal like that, but it makes moving the coins a lot easier for him. Also, it basically removes a huge mark from his back.

We don't know what the reasons behind the hack are (most likely money), but if it is ideological, the coins might reach home with an offer like this.

The hacker could also likely negotiate a higher price than 5%. PGP has already stated that sure they would offer 5% but im guessing they'd be willing to go as higher, something like 25% judging by how he said it. 

i think this is mostly as a show to public.
they want to show that they are trying their best to find the hacker and take back the funds (good luck with that) but it is mostly because they have just started their business again and they want people to trust them again. so they say anything.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
if i can have all the stolen money, why should i have only 5%?...
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
This is something that is very difficult to search for the thieves will always update addres that receives all of the bitcoin it brings, and this will not result in anything good. better track the IP Addres of the thief afterwards looking for address details and get the House to judge the thief. I am sure it is only by building on their ip addres of the original property of the hacker will be able to easily find
Anyone who was smart enough to get in and get the coins probably didn't leave any traces of their identity.
And if someone could get access to the addresses, they would steal all the coins for themselves.

So the only way this 5% reward will work is if someones ex-girlfriend or family member etc knew who stole the coins but did not have the technical knowledge on how to get access to the coins but was tempted by the reward.

it always comes down to some greedy friend/family member. i guess people start asking questions if you adopt the lifestyle, that goes with that money, over night. and then they want in on it. so are there just three options.
1) start a new life
2) don not change your lifestyle
3) go to jail
maybe it is not worth the trouble after all.   
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Anyone who was smart enough to get in and get the coins probably didn't leave any traces of their identity.
And if someone could get access to the addresses, they would steal all the coins for themselves.

So the only way this 5% reward will work is if someones ex-girlfriend or family member etc knew who stole the coins but did not have the technical knowledge on how to get access to the coins but was tempted by the reward.
Activity: 546

legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
I don't think hacker will be happy to keep only 5% of stolen coins, they should have offer atleast 10 to 20%. Hacker can actually sell 1% atleast per day so why he would be happy to only take 5%. Bitfinex seem to have bad offer laid for hacker, its better if they can get 80% or even 50% rather than lossing all, actually those loss are for the members not of bitfinex, so community vote should be used to determine actual % to share with hacker.
legendary

Exactly... Couldn't have said it better. I think this is the main reason for a bounty.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
bitfinex looks like a moron, they refused to use a cold wallet, so they should take the result by themselves, or cry, or shout, or curse. LMAO

they thought multi-sig wallet is secure, lol. Nothing is more secure than a cold wallet.

please give it all back and we give you 5% as tank you oh and by the way there will be no consequences for you.
sorry, but i do not believe it. maybe they would pay him but i do not see him walk just away without a trial.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

Pages:
Jump to: