Pages:
Author

Topic: Biticker - Currency converter for Chrome with Desktop Notifications - page 2. (Read 5400 times)

Activity: 640
Merit: 500
Vanity of vanities; all is vanity...
Added IXcoin and PPcoin. We've almost reached 1000 users. :-)

I hope to make customizable graphs in the next version.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Question: When price exceeds the limits and a desktop notification is shown should I change the limits? Specifically:

1. If you set a high limit at 31 and the current price climbs to 31.2, should I increase the high price to 31.2?
2. Should I leave the limits as they are but instead never show a new notification unless the price first falls back in the limits?
3. Maybe it would make sense to widen the limits to include the *average* ONLY if the average also goes off limits? (I think this would be confusing for the users that don't know this detail though so I'd rather avoid this solution)

Currently it will just keep poping up the notification every 5 minutes as long as you don't change the limits manually.

I vote for 2. it is the most logical.
Question: When price exceeds the limits and a desktop notification is shown should I change the limits? Specifically:

1. If you set a high limit at 31 and the current price climbs to 31.2, should I increase the high price to 31.2?
2. Should I leave the limits as they are but instead never show a new notification unless the price first falls back in the limits?
3. Maybe it would make sense to widen the limits to include the *average* ONLY if the average also goes off limits? (I think this would be confusing for the users that don't know this detail though so I'd rather avoid this solution)

Currently it will just keep poping up the notification every 5 minutes as long as you don't change the limits manually.
You should use the average price from multiple exchanges, not just mt. Gox.

I'll make it so that the average price takes Bitstamp into account too. The current price will still be coming from Mt Gox though since that's the one that changes the fastest.

Sounds great.

It's done, in cased you missed the server notification.

And in case anyone is interested in the details here is how I calculate the average currently:

This runs every minute: (but doesn't necessarily query Bitstamp and MtGox every minute)

BitstampAverage=BitstampAverage*0.9872+CurrentBitstamp*(1-0.9872)
BitcoinAverage=0.6*MtGoxAverage+0.4*BitstampAverage

(MtGoxAverage is taken from https://mtgox.com/code/ticker.php which is API v0 so it's not the same as the one shown on their main page)
0.9872 is chosen so that BitstampAverage is 99% affected by the prices in the last ~6 hours, 90% affected by Bitstamp prices in the last ~3 hours and 50% by the last ~54 minutes.
I wish I knew what kind of average is the Mt Gox average in API v0 so that I could use the same for Bitstamp...
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
Thank you for making this!  Grin

I'll make it so that the average price takes Bitstamp into account too. The current price will still be coming from Mt Gox though since that's the one that changes the fastest.

Sounds great.

1.8.1 is out.

Changes:

Desktop notifications for when the BTC prices exceeds some user defined limits.
Now the current Bitcoin price is used instead of the average because the average looks like it is lagging (it is not). You can still select to use the average from the options page.
Revamped the options page a bit.
Server messages will pop up announcing new features, problems or whatever. You can turn those off from the options page.
Changed the tooltip of the Biticker button to show BOTH average and current rate.
Put a big icon that opens the option page on the top left corner of the currency converter in case someone doesn't know how to open option pages in Chrome.
Fixed SLL rate.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
It now remembers the last value your wrote and whenever you reopen the converter window it will be loaded at the proper place and all conversions will be updated. So for example you might want to input "1" into XAU (Gold ounces) to see the current gold price immediatelly whenever you open the window.

Also as I said in my previous edit, currencies are color coded. Yellow for precious metals, green for fiat, blue for cryptocurrencies and light green for linden dollars which is fiat but maybe even worse. ;-)
Added Namecoin and Litecoin. Also centralized and mirrored all the currency data on my servers so that permissions asked are even fewer and all exchange rates can now be fetched in a single request. I also mirror the two default graphs on my server to avoid straining bitcoincharts since the Biticker's userbase is growing.

Next version will properly utilize the new Chrome API so that the whole thing might use less RAM and CPU (although neither has ever been in issue IMO). In other words I will remove the background page of the extension and replace it with alarms or what you have (I don't remember how Chrome calls them).

Are there any other weird/virtual/crypto currencies that you would like to be added? Or normal currencies of course.

EDIT: 1.6.0 is out which adds color codes to currencies and a few more currencies.
Activity: 209
Added:

XAU: Gold ounce      
XAG: Silver ounce      
XPT: Platinum ounce      
XPD: Palladium ounce

Now it must be the only converter that supports bitcoins, second life dollars and precious metals. ;-)

Thanks for the service I use it all the time!
Added:

XAU: Gold ounce      
XAG: Silver ounce      
XPT: Platinum ounce      
XPD: Palladium ounce

Now it must be the only converter that supports bitcoins, second life dollars and precious metals. ;-)
Added INR (Indian rupee). Please suggest more currencies to add if I am missing yours.

Openexchangerates is unfortunatelly no longer "open", it became a paid service. I switched to another source (that I host on my own).

Oh I also enbled a new feature in Chrome Market and you can leave feedback or ask questions from the extension's page directly. (there is "give feedback" link or something like that)
Done. I added more currencies and there is an option page which lets you deselect unneeded currencies, pick the currency that will be displayed in the ticker and also customize the URL of the graph. :-D I've also refactored the code and it's trivial to add more currencies. I'll probably let users pick their own currencies by code in a later version. We'll see...
I'll put an option page. It will allow you to change the graph as you said as well as deactivate currencies you don't need.
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
Would be nice to be able to customze the graph options ie. manage it with similar options available on bitcoincharts but with easier access right from the button in chrome extensions.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Sweet. Works well, thanks Cheesy
Thanks GoWest!

I also did just remove the Mt Gox permissions because a redditor was scared away from it and I now mirror the Mt Gox ticker myself on bittit.
Activity: 563
Merit: 501
betwithbtc.com
Well done.  Been waiting a long time for a good Bitcoin extension for Chrome.
Pages:
Jump to: