Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitinstant- Paxum Temporarily Suspended - page 2. (Read 13525 times)

legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
February 12, 2012, 07:01:24 PM
me thinks the banks have all of us by the balls  Cry
Not all banks in all countries are the same, some are more open minded than others.
Don't forget about local and community currencies, even many states have started planing their own gold/silver backed currencies....
The train has left the station, they can't stop it.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
February 12, 2012, 06:46:45 PM

that's what the banks think.  it will just drive more people to hold onto the bitcoins and not sell them.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
February 12, 2012, 06:43:31 PM

maybe they we're force to make a deal if they wanted to have that scraped...

I would not be surprised if Paxum had to make more than one deal in order to keep their merchant account.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
February 12, 2012, 06:39:37 PM

maybe they we're forced to make a deal if they wanted to have that scraped...

I would not be surprised if Paxum had to make more than one deal in order to keep their merchant account.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
February 12, 2012, 06:30:54 PM
I searched the FINTRAC site http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp for Bitcoin and found one reference http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publications/watch-regard/2011-10-eng.asp from April - June 2011. The section on Bitcoin starts with

" Bitcoins: a new anonymous digital currency and a potential vehicle for criminals to transfer money: According to investigators, an emerging digital currency named "Bitcoin", intended to allow people to send money without the use of payment processors or other financial institutions, could also be a method used by criminals to make anonymous international transactions. ..."

The question is why now? Since this advisory Paxum started accepting Credit Cards as a funding source in November 2011, and I suspect that latter has a lot more to do with their decision to close Bitcoin related accounts than a 7 month old FINTRAC advisory. It is a lot easier to spread FUD about Bitcoin than to admit they were breaking Credit Card processing rules.

maybe they we're forced to make a deal if they wanted to have that scraped...
legendary
Monero Core Team
February 12, 2012, 06:26:20 PM
I searched the FINTRAC site http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp for Bitcoin and found one reference http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publications/watch-regard/2011-10-eng.asp from April - June 2011. The section on Bitcoin starts with

" Bitcoins: a new anonymous digital currency and a potential vehicle for criminals to transfer money: According to investigators, an emerging digital currency named "Bitcoin", intended to allow people to send money without the use of payment processors or other financial institutions, could also be a method used by criminals to make anonymous international transactions. ..."

The question is why now? Since this advisory Paxum started accepting Credit Cards as a funding source in November 2011, and I suspect that latter has a lot more to do with their decision to close Bitcoin related accounts than a 7 month old FINTRAC advisory. It is a lot easier to spread FUD about Bitcoin than to admit they were breaking Credit Card processing rules.
February 12, 2012, 06:07:05 PM
Tony, I think adult biz simply is not ready yet to embrace Bitcoin.

They have a natural distrust of payment processors, I understand that whole mess.

But the benefits of being open source should get some attention, you would think?

By the way, we met Steve in Vegas.  nice guy.
legendary
Activity: 1050
February 12, 2012, 05:59:12 PM
good point Serge.  i do post there, but I'm really surprised how that crowd is so anti-bitcoin.

They are also very supportive of Paxum on that thread.  Most of the webmasters I know would like to get away from Visa/MC and their stupid rules and fees if they could.

Tony, I think adult biz simply is not ready yet to embrace Bitcoin.

In regard to Paxum news - it's not good news personally for me as it was the most convenient method for me to move funds to bitcoin exchanges, but I do respect their decision or better put, them being pressured by their banking partners to discontinue service related with bitcoin exchanges, it's a loss for Paxum as well for bitcoin community. Hopefully they will be able to overcome their bitcoin hurdles with their banking partners in the future.
February 12, 2012, 05:44:58 PM
good point Serge.  i do post there, but I'm really surprised how that crowd is so anti-bitcoin.

They are also very supportive of Paxum on that thread.  Most of the webmasters I know would like to get away from Visa/MC and their stupid rules and fees if they could.
legendary
Activity: 1050
February 12, 2012, 05:26:42 PM
It's very telling that, even though they have accounts here, they posted that thread there, but not here. I'd respect them more if they would have said that they rejected us to our face, so to speak.

they would rather post on a forum that calls itself gofuckyourself

classy, Paxum, real classy

with all due respect, the board name has nothing to do with it. there are simply more threads and discussion about paxum service among members of that board than it's been here. also by your logic you having account on that board isn't classy too by association. stupid comment.
legendary
Monero Core Team
February 12, 2012, 05:25:10 PM
It's very telling that, even though they have accounts here, they posted that thread there, but not here. I'd respect them more if they would have said that they rejected us to our face, so to speak.

they would rather post on a forum that calls itself gofuckyourself

I say good riddance. For reasons I mentioned in this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tradehill-paxum-no-longer-working-with-bitcoin-exchanges-63521 It appears that Paxum is breaking long standing Credit Card rules by funding accounts as a purchase via Credit Card http://m.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1046879&page=2 and then allowing the withdrawal of said funds as a cash advance via a debit card. https://www.paxum.com/payment/faq.php?view=views/faq.xsl
legendary
Activity: 1441
Live and enjoy experiments
February 12, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Paxum does a lot of things that do not make sense. Never liked them, nonsensical business practice and stupid reps. 
February 12, 2012, 04:54:42 PM

they would rather post on a forum that calls itself gof**kyourself

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
February 12, 2012, 04:53:18 PM
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
February 12, 2012, 02:03:19 PM
"We had been in discussions with our banking partners, Mastercard and our auditors for the last couple of weeks, and on Friday our banking partners ended the discussions with us and stated that it was too much of a potential risk to continue doing business with Bitcoin and Bitcoin Exchangers and instructed us to close all Bitcoin-related accounts." --RuthB of Paxum

Yes, the potential risk is to MasterCard's business model.   Grin
It's kinda funny. My dad was involved with the development of Master Charge. He commented that Bitcoin seems to be the next and very much needed change in money generation.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1008
February 12, 2012, 01:56:40 PM
"We had been in discussions with our banking partners, Mastercard and our auditors for the last couple of weeks, and on Friday our banking partners ended the discussions with us and stated that it was too much of a potential risk to continue doing business with Bitcoin and Bitcoin Exchangers and instructed us to close all Bitcoin-related accounts." --RuthB of Paxum

Yes, the potential risk is to MasterCard's business model.   Grin
February 12, 2012, 01:11:20 PM
Now that Dwolla has $5 million in funding from wall street, will they decide they no longer need the bitcoin business either?

source:  http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_26/dwolla-raises-5-million-venture-funding-1046408-1.html
Activity: 714
February 12, 2012, 01:00:08 PM
Sorry to hear that.
Activity: 303
Merit: 251
February 12, 2012, 11:50:37 AM

Part of it I don't understand, because the banks for CryptoXchange and others still take face-to-face deposits at US banks and those are known cash deposits for bitcoin. In Canada, I think it's a soft warning from regulators because of what the Paxum banking partners may think they'll be encountering in the near future. My analysis is here: http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/2012/02/paxum-exits-from-bitcoin-business.html
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Pages:
Jump to: