Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp's first annual statements - page 2. (Read 5294 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004
January 06, 2015, 06:09:12 AM
how many "hacked" exchangers did that until now (seek an emergency funding) ? All of them had Limited companies (LTD) Smiley

do not mix up the things. everything is possible in the Bitcoin industry.

who will give them 5 MIL USD? it's not 500K...it's 5 MIL  Smiley

and the one who is lending,wants to be sure that he will get the money back. Bitstamp will never be what it was even they will cover the losses. So, they won't have the same profit not even near. nobody will lend them for a long period of time because this is a volatile market. you can never what it's bringing tomorrow.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
January 06, 2015, 05:55:51 AM
I doubt they have $5 million of their own cash profits sitting around waiting to cover this loss.
it's no problem, indeed, the price only $260 now, 18,000BTC just $4,680,000, i think this is a piece of cake for bitstamp

How is it a piece of cake?

A financial report of Bitstamp showed they had 800k profit for a large period of time.

Not sure 4-5 million is coverable by them.
may the speak of bitstamp ceo "the bulk of our bitcoin are in cold storage, and remain completely safe"
https://twitter.com/nejc_kodric/status/552091195795845120

It doesn't matter whether there's gazillion bitcoins safe in cold storage, these are all customers' deposits. If they've lost 19,000 BTC, they have to compensate for that. So the only question is whether they can afford it.

OR if they want. The easiest way would be to close the biz, take the rest of the money and Bitcoin and done. Smiley

a huge part of these 5 MIL are into their bank account. Who is interested to keep Bitcoin? They are interested in real cash, the one from bank. They lost some numbers on a screen but they own the money in bank.

You don't have a clue how the Limited companies work, do you?

Withdrawing money/bitcoins to their personal accounts would be like robbing the bank and showing your face + your id document to the security camera.

The easiest way is not to close the biz, but to seek an emergency funding, preferably a loan from shareholders.
legendary
January 06, 2015, 05:28:47 AM
I doubt they have $5 million of their own cash profits sitting around waiting to cover this loss.
it's no problem, indeed, the price only $260 now, 18,000BTC just $4,680,000, i think this is a piece of cake for bitstamp

A financial report of Bitstamp showed they had 800k profit for a large period of time.

may the speak of bitstamp ceo "the bulk of our bitcoin are in cold storage, and remain completely safe"

It doesn't matter whether there's gazillion bitcoins safe in cold storage, these are all customers' deposits. If they've lost 19,000 BTC, they have to compensate for that. So the only question is whether they can afford it.

OR if they want. The easiest way would be to close the biz, take the rest of the money and Bitcoin and done. Smiley

a huge part of these 5 MIL are into their bank account. Who is interested to keep Bitcoin? They are interested in real cash, the one from bank. They lost some numbers on a screen but they own the money in bank.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
January 06, 2015, 05:24:13 AM

Activity: 19
Merit: 0
January 06, 2015, 05:18:06 AM
ok, bitstamp seem to go far, I want to know how they should to make up for this losses?

for this, I had to trading on lakebtc, and make btc-e as the alternate.

I only want to know whether lakebtc is safe now? I had got their lowest rates, I do not wish to start again for another exchanges from highest rates
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
January 06, 2015, 05:10:16 AM

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074
January 06, 2015, 03:22:15 AM
I was lucky to have moved my trading funds to BFX (for margin trading) a few weeks ago, so I had 0 left on Bitstamp.
But this still saddens me. Those who have a significant amount left must be feeling Goxxed, you have my true sympathy.
I hope Bitstamp will recover from this and come back, and a better security model will emerge.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
January 06, 2015, 03:10:01 AM
ok, bitstamp seem to go far, I want to know how they should to make up for this losses?

for this, I had to trading on lakebtc, and make btc-e as the alternate.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 06, 2015, 02:46:32 AM

It's no problem because it's not real money it's just magic internet money.

lol I like your outlook. Although I highly doubt many will agree with you.  Tongue
copper member
Activity: 2226
Merit: 536
Promotional Campaign Manager|Telegram @NrcewkerBTC
January 06, 2015, 01:44:28 AM
$840,000 profit in 2013, if bitstamp succeed in 2014, triple profits 2013, it only $2,500,000
how bitstamp cover BTC180,000 ($5,000,000) losses??
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
January 06, 2015, 01:26:16 AM

It's no problem because it's not real money it's just magic internet money.
legendary
January 05, 2015, 11:27:17 PM
Now bankrupt?
They lost 5 million out of 65 reported here. Not enough to go bankrupt Wink
In an extreme scenario they could get more if they sold the company and the buyer would cover the loss.
They only had ~800k equity.
According to http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-venture-capital/ they got 10 million dollars venture capital in october 2013.
And surely they have been using them, not sitting on them needlessly.  If any $$ are left, it must be reserves for payroll or other expected future expenses.

They are also not likely to leave profits sitting in the company's bank account.  They must have paid out most of the profits to investors, including themselves.  They cannot be forced to use that money to save the company (that is what "LLC" means), unless they have done something very wrong in the management of the company and are criminally prosecuted for it.
It is possible that they could get some kind of capital infusion to help cover the theft (if in fact there was a theft). They still are profitable and have an established customer base. Even if someone were to give them 5.7 million dollars in exchange for a 50% stake in the company/exchange, that would only give it an effective price to earnings ratio of ~15 which is very small for this young of a company

I could see this being a possible outcome.

If someone is willing to fork over $5million and bitstamp is willing to give a nice chunk of the company over to them.

Interesting option I would say.
legendary
January 05, 2015, 11:26:02 PM

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
www.CloudThink.IO
January 05, 2015, 11:09:09 PM
Now bankrupt?
In an extreme scenario they could get more if they sold the company and the buyer would cover the loss.
According to http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-venture-capital/ they got 10 million dollars venture capital in october 2013.
And surely they have been using them, not sitting on them needlessly.  If any $$ are left, it must be reserves for payroll or other expected future expenses.

They are also not likely to leave profits sitting in the company's bank account.  They must have paid out most of the profits to investors, including themselves.  They cannot be forced to use that money to save the company (that is what "LLC" means), unless they have done something very wrong in the management of the company and are criminally prosecuted for it.
It is possible that they could get some kind of capital infusion to help cover the theft (if in fact there was a theft). They still are profitable and have an established customer base. Even if someone were to give them 5.7 million dollars in exchange for a 50% stake in the company/exchange, that would only give it an effective price to earnings ratio of ~15 which is very small for this young of a company
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
January 05, 2015, 11:09:00 PM
legendary
January 05, 2015, 10:46:12 PM
I don't think so too. If (!) they will recover the loss Bitstamp must use their own profit for the next few months to do so.

very good point. Smiley
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
January 05, 2015, 09:59:21 PM
I don't think so too. If (!) they will recover the loss Bitstamp must use their own profit for the next few months to do so.
legendary
January 05, 2015, 09:54:48 PM
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
January 05, 2015, 09:01:26 PM
Now bankrupt?

Activity: 82
Merit: 10
January 05, 2015, 08:06:54 PM
Now bankrupt?

Pages:
Jump to: