Pages:
Author

Topic: Block chain revival / recovery project - page 2. (Read 2123 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
October 06, 2014, 11:18:16 AM
Bitcoin isn't going to have this kind of problem, so your proposal and solution is basically for all the other smaller alt-coins. But to think that bitcoin started small too.

Something else is killing the small coins. It couldn't be the value, as bitcoin was worthless back in 2009 and 2010.
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
October 06, 2014, 09:29:59 AM
It is not clear to me what you are trying to do?

The Bitcoin Core wallet (and all full nodes for that matter) already build a blockchain using blockchain data from peers.

What is a "collapsing block chain" and how does it occur?  I don't understand.

Danny, thanks for the necessary request for clarification - I was way too concise and unclear in my original message.

While Bitcoin has been and is doing quite well in the sense that there doesn't seem to be a reason to worry that the chain would break down, many of the altcoins provide good (and sad) examples that things can go wrong if anything comes up that radically reduces the number of users/wallets able to connect with each other. Many block chains have been deadlocked into a situation where there are still a number of users out there, but none of them can synchronize with anyone anymore. It's just "no block source available" for all of them.

To give you couple of concrete examples, the Continuumcoin has just been broken down in the above manner. It was functional just few weeks ago, but now none of the existing users can find each other anymore. Another even more interesting example is provided by the Unum; it has the same problem with synchronizing, plus the PoS part ceased functioning after a while in a way that prevent it from starting again even if the users could find each other again.

Now while these problems have not (yet) faced Bitcoin, mainly thanks to the huge number of users, it's not a far fetched idea that something happens that stops intercontinental Internet traffic for prolonged periods of time. That, or any of the many other similar reasons could create a situation from which the chain would not be able to recover automatically.

In addition to data recovery, I also have lots of experience from the field of designing catastrophe tolerant communications systems etc. I'm involved in projects investigating emergency solutions such as temporarily replacing intercontinental Internet connections with HAM radio packet data. To make sure a full recovery of Bitcoin is available quickly should a disaster strike), I want to have a functional recovery plan created and thoroughly tested as soon as possible.

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
October 06, 2014, 08:59:09 AM
It is not clear to me what you are trying to do?

The Bitcoin Core wallet (and all full nodes for that matter) already build a blockchain using blockchain data from peers.

What is a "collapsing block chain" and how does it occur?  I don't understand.

Activity: 210
Merit: 101
October 06, 2014, 05:21:19 AM
Dear everyone,

I'm putting together a task force for the specific mission of developing ways to rescue/revive collapsing/collapsed block chains.

I'm rather new to the crypto coin scene but have a long background in data recovery and IT systems design & troubleshooting.

I'm looking for a handful of hard core developers willing to dedicate their brain time to come up with a functional and replicable method for reviving a block chain using, x number of block chain data files collected from separate computers.

I am aware of the challenges and ready to face them.

Anyone interested - please send me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: