Pages:
Author

Topic: Block Erupter running 24/7 without cooling - fire risk? - page 2. (Read 3682 times)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Thanks for the input os2sam and pand70 - you are both like the angel and devil on my shoulder! A catch 22 situation.

I will see if I can find a passive cooling solution that it isn't too expensive.

Have seen the tiny Block Erupter heat sinks sold on eBay - surely they are too small to be effective...
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Should I by a USB fan for my single Erupter - or would this be overkill/not financially viable?

The usb fan will cost more than your usb miner will ever made in return   Lips sealed Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
Or would the logic be the chip will burn out so quickly it is essential even to come close to recouping the total cost?

That is the logic I'm operating on.  We don't know what the longevity of these things are so prolonging them as long as possible would seem like a good way to assure a profit.
pm  me  I will send this to you

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-External-Cooling-AF0007/dp/B002OJN250/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385846908&sr=1-2&keywords=thermaltake+usb+fan

7 bucks.  that includes shipping.  as long as you are in the usa.

it is used and I have quite a few of them.  as I ran a lot of usb sticks.

Thanks for the offer my friend, but in the UK so many not be a good idea postage-wise. Plus it has to be subtle/work friendly - which will probably make any fan a little tricky now I think about it...

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
pm  me  I will send this to you

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-External-Cooling-AF0007/dp/B002OJN250/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385846908&sr=1-2&keywords=thermaltake+usb+fan

7 bucks.  that includes shipping.  as long as you are in the usa.

it is used and I have quite a few of them.  as I ran a lot of usb sticks.
I put heat sinks and fans on all my BE's.  Not because it may be a fire risk.  But because I want them to last as long as possible.  I don't think a $7 USB fan will break the bank.

Fire is probably unlikely but frying the thing is very likely I would think.

Big thanks for the reply os2sam! That is very interesting.

I guess my worry with buying even a cheap fan would be the length of time it would take to recoup the cost via mining. Seems to take a long time to make even what equates to pennies worth of bitcoins at the moment...

Or would the logic be the chip will burn out so quickly it is essential even to come close to recouping the total cost?

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
I put heat sinks and fans on all my BE's.  Not because it may be a fire risk.  But because I want them to last as long as possible.  I don't think a $7 USB fan will break the bank.

Fire is probably unlikely but frying the thing is very likely I would think.
Hi Guys,

Quick question - I have a single USB Block Erupter running on my work PC 24/7 - without cooling.

I know I am probably just being paranoid (I am a health and safety obsessive sometimes), but I can't stop occasionally thinking - could this be a fire risk? Is this a bad idea? Just from how hot it seems to get.

So my question:

Is there a risk of fire (or any kind of damage/significant problem)?

Also, bonus question:

Should I buy a USB fan for my single Erupter - or would this be overkill/not financially viable?

Big thanks in advance if anyone has the time to answer.

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: