Pages:
Author

Topic: Blockchain corruption during power loss? - page 2. (Read 2344 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
Are you guys running OSX ?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1084
Clever programming simply cannot prevent corruption during a power loss. 

Atomic file operations would ensure that the disk is always in a valid state.  However, it doesn't seem to be a high priority for OS designers.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
Buy a UPS.

Clever programming simply cannot prevent corruption during a power loss.  The filesystem guys have been working on the problem for like 50 years, and they all agree that you need to buy a UPS.
Activity: 287
Merit: 250
nope.... I just restarted the client, then is had an error and said it needed to reindex the blocks(i imagine the blockchain stored on my computer), then about an hour later it was done, probably not even an hour...... i set it to low priority
Hmm, well I'm almost certain it didn't say anything about indexing the blocks, it was more could not read the block. So at first I tried deleting all the lock files and it still didn't work.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
nope.... I just restarted the client, then is had an error and said it needed to reindex the blocks(i imagine the blockchain stored on my computer), then about an hour later it was done, probably not even an hour...... i set it to low priority
i had this also during a power outage... only took an hour or so to reindex the blocks htough
wait what

you mean I didn't have to delete everything?
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
i had this also during a power outage... only took an hour or so to reindex the blocks htough
How ironic, I just had the same problem. I had to remove the program and the associated files and then reinstall the entire program. Fortunately, I keep several backups of the wallet.dat file. Now, my computer has been running non-stop for the last 7 hours updating the blockchain - only 16,000 blocks to go!

Oh good, I was afraid it was cause of the modifications I made to my bitcoind that scan transactions for specific addresses and keep metrics on them. But since you also had the same issue I have ruled that out, thanks.

I should probably start backing up my blockchain at regular intervals to prevent this from happening again.
Activity: 836
Merit: 1007
"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."
How ironic, I just had the same problem. I had to remove the program and the associated files and then reinstall the entire program. Fortunately, I keep several backups of the wallet.dat file. Now, my computer has been running non-stop for the last 7 hours updating the blockchain - only 16,000 blocks to go!

I lost power the other day while my bitcoind was running, and I went to start it again and it was unable to read the blocks. I'm currently in the process of redownloading the blockchain.

Has anybody else had this issue?
Pages:
Jump to: