Author

Topic: Blockchain.info - Bitcoin Block explorer & Currency Statistics - page 139. (Read 482400 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
You can now send bitcoins via email:
- An email containing the private key is sent to the desired email address.

This seems like a really bad idea.

Email is a postcard.  Writing private keys on postcards is asking for trouble.

The problem is, of course, is setting the precedent.  It's likely that it'll be perfectly safe for a while, until some dodgy admin gets the idea to scrape all emails for keys and mtgox codes.

It's a shame, I know, you're only trying to make it easier to use bitcoins.  Don't do it at the expense of security though.

You have to find a breakpoint somewhere. What about all the banks that send password resets by email? While I agree that email is patently insecure and needs major help, I think this functionality is necessary for new users to help introduce them. Who knows, maybe some new users' coins WILL be stolen because of an email related insecurity - perhaps that would wake them up to the fact that there is more they could do to keep themselves secure.
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
It's likely that it'll be perfectly safe for a while, until some dodgy admin gets the idea to scrape all emails for keys and mtgox codes.
I think that this step will be enough for making it secure Smiley
- When "claimed" the key is swept into a new bitcoin address.

He can also add a warning on the email message that says something like: "Be sure that you have your computer secured, because unclaimed bitcoins can be taken by viruses and bad people"
Activity: 504
Merit: 502

This seems like a really bad idea.

Email is a postcard.  Writing private keys on postcards is asking for trouble.

The problem is, of course, is setting the precedent.  It's likely that it'll be perfectly safe for a while, until some dodgy admin gets the idea to scrape all emails for keys and mtgox codes.

It's a shame, I know, you're only trying to make it easier to use bitcoins.  Don't do it at the expense of security though.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

Simply enter one or more recipients into the to field:

An email will be sent to each address:

Follow the link in the email to claim:

How it works:

- The javascript generates a new bitcoin address for each recipient, then sends the funds to those addresses.
- The newly generated keys are stored in your wallet.
- When "claimed" the key is swept into a new bitcoin address.

Usage Notes:

1) The key is not stored on blockchain.info's server, but it does pass through it (SMTP).
2) The sender can reverse the payment at anytime if not claimed. To reclaim check your archived addresses and sweep the key labeled 'Sent to $email'
3) As email is not particularly secure this is intended for small amounts and will refuse to construct a transaction over 20 BTC.
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
Hi Ben,
 While this isn't a crucial feature, it is one of the very neat aspects of your site (blockchain.info).

We would love to see more cool statistics like this.

Examples I came up with:
  • fastest block mined (in last 100,000 blocks)
  • slowest block mined (in last 100,000 blocks)
  • link to first block ever mined (genesis block)
  • Day of highest total network hash rate since January 1 2012 (basically highest hash rate of year).

Robert
donator
Activity: 308
Blockchain.info now has an agreement with Eligius to process low fee transactions - which hopefully means no more "stuck" transactions. I will be monitoring for any possible transaction spam.

Thank you to luke-jr for sorting this out.
This is the kind of stuff I would genuinely be interested in paying for.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
You currently do bitcoin://(address) when it should just be bitcoin:(address).

Are they not interchangeable? Most clients seem to respect both.
Generally, but as a major wallet provider, you really should respect the standard as far as the output. Of course, your mobile clients can still accept both.
One request if it hasn't already been asked, I'd love to have my own addresses listed in my address book by default, or some similar method of having them easily accessible on the send page. Sending bitcoins between your own addresses can be a little more difficult than it should be right now.

I think this would be confusing. You could use the new sweep feature, might be easier.

Well done Ben, good luck with that.

Thanks Ian, would have been good to have another Brit there.

----

Blockchain.info now has an agreement with Eligius to process low fee transactions - which hopefully means no more "stuck" transactions. I will be monitoring for any possible transaction spam.

Thank you to luke-jr for sorting this out.
Activity: 262
P.S. Just found out today Me and Brian Armstrong (http://bitbank.is/) have been accepted for an interview for YCombinator. Our proposal is working on a bitcoin wallet with mass-market appeal i.e. PayPal with bitcoins. I don't know how this fits with blockchain.info yet but if we get some seed investment and publicity it could be the start of something good.

Well done Ben, good luck with that.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
One request if it hasn't already been asked, I'd love to have my own addresses listed in my address book by default, or some similar method of having them easily accessible on the send page. Sending bitcoins between your own addresses can be a little more difficult than it should be right now.
** There was an issue earlier today where transactions would not show for some accounts. This is fixed now. **

Could you maybe add message signing in My Wallet?

I tried to implement javascript message signing but can't figure out how to verify the signature. Could someone with bitcoind check if this message verifies:

Address: 1AJbsFZ64EpEfS5UAjAfcUG8pH8Jn3rn1F
Sig: MEQCIJXCh4F4PxiuGXb1h+G/0t5+QfvvR+qpulIrhwM3/ZHfAiDStGbU9sy8kg96iNhTMdV3O6eaB1DM5ppkke9t2Pkn3A==

I think as the mainline bitcoin client uses a compressed sig it won't work.

You currently do bitcoin://(address) when it should just be bitcoin:(address).

Are they not interchangeable? Most clients seem to respect both.

It took me a while before i realized that i have to click into empty space to confirm.

Ok I see what you mean, will fix.

P.S. Just found out today Me and Brian Armstrong (http://bitbank.is/) have been accepted for an interview for YCombinator. Our proposal is working on a bitcoin wallet with mass-market appeal i.e. PayPal with bitcoins. I don't know how this fits with blockchain.info yet but if we get some seed investment and publicity it could be the start of something good.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
The URI that the request payment feature outputs doesn't match the standard. You currently do bitcoin://(address) when it should just be bitcoin:(address).

See:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0021
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Thanks for the fixes!!!

It's designed for noobs, it want that form to be simple as possible.
The way you can change addresses inside iPhone app is very handy. And noobs-proof also : )

Where do you mean? On the two-factor authentication page?
I've sent myself several "email confirmation codes", because when i pasted the code, i clicked on "get code" button (or something like that - i don't have it anymore on my page since email is verified already (it was right next to form field where i pasted the code))
It took me a while before i realized that i have to click into empty space to confirm.

You can use blank space.
I can not. If i enter blank space i get this message: "Exception caught syncing wallet. Please contact the site administrator.".

Cheers!
Activity: 591
Merit: 500

What are the use cases?
Well, P2PMining.com is requiring message signing to change merged mining addresses and do instant payouts. I have a small amount of BTC mined on an old address that I'd like to get paid out.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252

What are the use cases?

But then with My Wallet's latest development, this hybrid wallet now also has the ability to continue being used even if the hosted service is offline.  Wow!

Thank you for the enthusiasm Smiley I am really pleased with how it's coming together. There is still a lot of room for improvement i.e. the wallet cannot function for long without blockchain.info (as the transactions list won't update). I'm looking at using stratum as a fallback.

* If i try to change "Local currency" from US Dollar to Euro... system kicks me out and i have to log in again. Setting is back to US Dollar.
    * If i click on "Email Backup" to manually backup my wallet... i get an error. Automatic email backup works, though.
    * I miss Logout button (it would give me peace of mind if I would see "you have successfully Logged out" message)

Fixed

* i didn't figure out how to choose different bitcoin addresses inside "request payment" option

It's designed for noobs, it want that form to be simple as possible. You can construct a URI request for a specific address on address pages.

* after entering "Confirmation Code", you have to click into empty space somewhere inside the page to accept it... very non-intuitive. "Accept code" button would be much more convenient.

Where do you mean? On the two-factor authentication page?

* It is not possible to erase "Secret Phrase". Once  you enter something in... system does not allow you to leave empty field after that. I believe this could be optional...

You can use blank space.

* most of the times i have to click twice on every click-able item to get certain function working. App is non responsive to my actions (if i compare app's behavior to other apps)
    * if i open my wallet and go straight to "Account details" (last icon), nothing happens (white empty screen). I have to select something else and then click back to "account details" button to get visible data
    * "Account details" screen has different white color on top than the rest of the screen (different shades of white color)
    * i find the speed of going from one screen to the other screen to slow.

All should be fixed in the new version (not released yet).

Exchange rate seems ... odd ... it's approximately right, but doesn't match any exchange -- where is it getting it from

It uses the 24hr rate from http://bitcoincharts.com/t/weighted_prices.json - 15m or realtime would be better.

• Currency conversion with volume awareness would be awesome... so if I put in 5000 USD, it checks Mt.Gox for the average price for that volume rather than the spot price.
    • Suggest a button to go to full page transaction history view instead of the five that are visible on the main page.
    • Suggest that a click on a transaction show the full detail of that transaction instead of "add address".  Then from that page, clicking on an address would go to "add address".
    • "Left" and "right" arrows are ambiguous for "receive" and "send" icons.  Suggest wallet/purse/moneybag icon with "in" and "out" arrows.
    • Address book is available by clicking "your bitcoin address" and as a menu item.  Don't need two ways of doing same thing.  Suggest dropping "address book" from menu

Nice ideas. I intended to redesign most of the android app at some point and will incorporate them then.

New Features

* Bulk delete and Sweep of archived addresses.

* Auto-detection of private key formats.
    * Logout button.
    Activity: 504
    Merit: 502
    Blockchain wallet is getting better and better... with incredible speed... tnx man!
    Completely agreed.  I was using BitcoinSpinner on android, but the Blockchain.info app has leapfrogged it.

Particularly good:
    • Currency conversion
    • QR scanning in all the right places
    • QR production in all the right places -- including currency converted request funds field
    • Fast
    • Syncs very well with web version.  Makes it particularly easy to use as your "one true wallet"

A couple of issues/suggestions (and they're really minor):
    • Some of my older transactions show with a 1970 date
    • It's slighty big (over 1 Meg)
    • Exchange rate seems ... odd ... it's approximately right, but doesn't match any exchange -- where is it getting it from
    • Currency conversion with volume awareness would be awesome... so if I put in 5000 USD, it checks Mt.Gox for the average price for that volume rather than the spot price.
    • Suggest a button to go to full page transaction history view instead of the five that are visible on the main page.
    • Suggest that a click on a transaction show the full detail of that transaction instead of "add address".  Then from that page, clicking on an address would go to "add address".
    • "Left" and "right" arrows are ambiguous for "receive" and "send" icons.  Suggest wallet/purse/moneybag icon with "in" and "out" arrows.
    • Address book is available by clicking "your bitcoin address" and as a menu item.  Don't need two ways of doing same thing.  Suggest dropping "address book" from menu
    donator
    Activity: 674
    Merit: 522
    Hi,

Blockchain wallet is getting better and better... with incredible speed... tnx man!

Few things that you might check out:

[www Wallet]:

* If i try to change "Local currency" from US Dollar to Euro... system kicks me out and i have to log in again. Setting is back to US Dollar.

* i didn't figure out how to choose different bitcoin addresses inside "request payment" option

* If i click on "Email Backup" to manually backup my wallet... i get an error. Automatic email backup works, though.

* after entering "Confirmation Code", you have to click into empty space somewhere inside the page to accept it... very non-intuitive. "Accept code" button would be much more convenient.

* I miss Logout button (it would give me peace of mind if I would see "you have successfully Logged out" message)

* It is not possible to erase "Secret Phrase". Once  you enter something in... system does not allow you to leave empty field after that. I believe this could be optional...

[iPhone app (v1.9.2)]:

* most of the times i have to click twice on every click-able item to get certain function working. App is non responsive to my actions (if i compare app's behavior to other apps)

* if i open my wallet and go straight to "Account details" (last icon), nothing happens (white empty screen). I have to select something else and then click back to "account details" button to get visible data

* "Account details" screen has different white color on top than the rest of the screen (different shades of white color)

* i find the speed of going from one screen to the other screen to slow.

Cheers!
    legendary
    Activity: 2506
    Merit: 1010
    This means even if our servers got seized tomorrow you would still be able to access your wallet and move funds elsewhere.

Well, the ability to manually grab the private keys and move them to another tool was always possible through My Wallet, ... but this is more than that.

New Feature - Full offline mode

Yes, much more.  Just absolutely amazing, to be honest.

Today available to us is this full-featured Javascript-based wallet ("hybrid" wallet) that takes advantage of a hosted service to store an encrypted copy of the wallet and to push transactions to the Bitcoin network.  And the service does this without having access to the wallet's contents.  

But then with My Wallet's latest development, this hybrid wallet now also has the ability to continue being used even if the hosted service is offline.  Wow!

It was roughly just a little over year ago that the first spend transaction occurred without using the Bitcoin.org satoshi client (and knowing only the private key).  And before that it seemed a miracle simply to be able to import a private key into the bitcoin.org client's wallet.  According to the first person to do this, it took "an epic amount of work":
     - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.53441

Shortly after, BitcoinJ greatly expanded on the concept of creating transactions with one tool and broadcasting the transaction to the network using another.

But now a spend transaction can be constructed entirely with Javascript in the browser.
    Activity: 591
    Merit: 500
    Jump to: